shape
carat
color
clarity

Re. Paraibas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently saw a very interesting pendant with a small blue Paraiba. It is 0.3 cts. and the whole pendant costs about 3600 dollars. I have seen it before in one of really upscale jewelry stores and there it was about $ 7000.00. They had mentioned "unusual tourmaline" but at the time I had no clue about Paraibas. I know the author, and it is a wonderful piece of art. But could a pendant with a neon-blue Paraiba cost a little bit over $ 3000? And do I need to contact the store and ask about the origin of the stone, or get author''s disclosure? I''d like to buy it and I do not expect for this guy to use poor quality stones but I just do not know current market value. The one that I saw at the store was not a cabochon, just a cut stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you say it was $3K, was it a designer piece, did it have diamonds? When shopping B&M stores, everything is typically going to be A LOT more expensive, even at Costco (you should have seen the ugly inky bue $30K sapphire ring I saw there today). Therefore, if that was a true Brazilian Paraiba, and he wanted $3K primarily for the stone, then

1) It should have an origin report from a reputable lab including any treatments since they are fracture filled at times.
2) It should be very neon, and if you never saw a true neon Brazilian Paraiba, you might not be able to truly judge the color properly
3) I personally think that''s too high for such a tiny stone, in particular because the value of these stones go up a lot with size.
4) How included is it?

Paraibainternational.com sells small Brazilian paraiba too, so check them out.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd echo everything TL has said. It is expensive but PT's are hard to find nowadays and the ones on the market now are not generally great. So unfortunately. for really good specimens, the price has gone up.

Please do tons of research - look on this forum (TL has some lovely ones, I've got a few, there was a lady who tried one on in an upmarket jewellers/designers and it was stunning - TL can you remember who that was?) I'm sure there are others but have anesthetic brain fog tonight!

For that money you MUST make sure it's neon - I can't tell you the number of people who tell me they have a neon PT and it's bluegh, non-neon and basically bland. It must glow - not just shine - but literally glow like it has an internal lighting system in ALL lighting conditions. Especially in the shade or dim lighting. I know that sounds bizarre but until you've witnessed it, you wouldn't believe it!

So, once you've done all the above, go and play with the piece. You MUST get it certified. Don't forget it's a hefty price to pay for a small gem so it's got to literally blow you away.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is also a large price differential between the Brazilian and the Mozambique material. I do not own any Brazilian material, and although some of my gems glow, they are not as saturated as the best of the Brazilian find. The Brazilian material commands a huge price (upwards of $15K/ct for included smallish stones), so for a more affordable option in a glowy stone, you can try some Mozambique. Some of the Mozambique material is just as nice as some of the Brazilian, but a top Brazilian stone is really something to behold. It reminds me of kryptonite.

Thank you for the kind words LD. I don't remember the poster, but I will try to find the thread you're talking about. I do remember that stone (how could you not??). You have a breathtaking collection of cuprians.

ETA: LD, found the thread you're talking about. The paraiba ring is in the middle of the first page. Lots of eye candy too.
30.gif
I just want to warn pregnant women and people with heart conditions to not view this thread for fear of heart palpatations.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/nyc-trip-report-upgrade-shopping-has-begun.75825/

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/24/2010 6:50:21 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
For that money you MUST make sure it''s neon - I can''t tell you the number of people who tell me they have a neon PT and it''s bluegh, non-neon and basically bland.

Isn''t that the truth. I think that everyone in the world with a bright blue or green tourmaline is calling it "Paraiba". There are some tourmalines from other areas, like Afghanistan, which are very close in color and typically sell for a lot less money, (all based on copper content and seemingly ignoring the similar fine color).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 7:16:32 PM
Author: Michael_E

For that money you MUST make sure it's neon - I can't tell you the number of people who tell me they have a neon PT and it's bluegh, non-neon and basically bland.

Isn't that the truth. I think that everyone in the world with a bright blue or green tourmaline is calling it 'Paraiba'. There are some tourmalines from other areas, like Afghanistan, which are very close in color and typically sell for a lot less money, (all based on copper content and seemingly ignoring the similar fine color).
I have some non-glowy cuprians which are a very pretty light blue green, and very bright, reminiscent of some Afghani material that Micahel refers to. For a light blue stone, I think they're a nicer alternative to aqua. Aquas are greyish blue, while a nice cuprian is not.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 7:34:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/24/2010 7:16:32 PM
Author: Michael_E

For that money you MUST make sure it''s neon - I can''t tell you the number of people who tell me they have a neon PT and it''s bluegh, non-neon and basically bland.

Isn''t that the truth. I think that everyone in the world with a bright blue or green tourmaline is calling it ''Paraiba''. There are some tourmalines from other areas, like Afghanistan, which are very close in color and typically sell for a lot less money, (all based on copper content and seemingly ignoring the similar fine color).
I have some non-glowy cuprians which are a very pretty light blue green, and very bright, reminiscent of some Afghani material. For a light blue stone, I think they''re a nicer alternative to aqua, for a light blue stone. Aquas are greyish blue, while a nice cuprian is not.
The difference is you KNOW the difference. I totally agree, some cuprians are very pretty even if they wouldn''t earn the title of a PT. When I see "Paraiba Tourmaline" being sold (or bought) that doesn''t even have a colour, let alone a glow, it makes me shudder. I''ve seen ones that would make a bog standard Aqua look highly coloured!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a selection of some glowy and non-glowy, but all denoted at PT. None of these are as glowy and saturated as the finest Brazilian material however. I do like this page since it allows you to see the various saturation levels for copper bearing tourmalines from Mozambique.

http://www.africagems.com/paraiba-tourmaline.html

Wow, my non-glowy cuprian I referenced is a dead ringer for this stone, but my stone is around 3 carats (8.3mm in size) and round.

http://www.africagems.com/paraiba-gemstone9011-19.html

This is my non-glowy, but non-grey, cuprian. I love this stone regardless of the fact it doesn't glow, it has nice saturation for a lighter toned stone.

TL18KLOGRcuprianwithprongs.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not an expert but there are some of those on the link that TL just posted that I wouldn''t call Paraibas (I''m such a neon snob)!

I thought you might like to compare here as well. Interestingly, I used to go on this site and be able to see lots that I''d want. I haven''t been on for a long time and I''m really shocked that they don''t have much and again, there are some that I wouldn''t pay PT prices for
8.gif

http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3&page=all&sort=

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2010 8:04:25 PM
I''m not an expert but there are some of those on the link that TL just posted that I wouldn''t call Paraibas (I''m such a neon snob)!

I thought you might like to compare here as well. Interestingly, I used to go on this site and be able to see lots that I''d want. I haven''t been on for a long time and I''m really shocked that they don''t have much and again, there are some that I wouldn''t pay PT prices for
8.gif

http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=3&page=all&sort=
LD,
As I like to call Chrono, the "Vivid Color Snob," I shall dub you as well - LOL!

Natural untreated vivid color is almost always extremely expensive, and in the case of the finest paraiba tourmalines, it''s like vivid color on steroids, hence the word "neon." The only other gem I can think of that compares is fine Burma ruby. It is interesting that most of these stones are gently heated to get this color. You can''t even put a price on the original find of the "kryptonite" vivid neon Brazilian paraibas that are unheated. That''s how rare they are.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice. I must have not explained myself very well. This pendant is made by top designer, and is sold as designer''s piece of art. I saw it in lilfe - the workmanship is marvellous, that is why I wanted to buy it, not for the Paraiba. But it was too expensive at the store ($ 7000.00). Now I saw it online, at a much cheaper price. I just doubt that the stone in the pendant was indeed Brazilian Paraiba - something tells me they may be more expensive. The one I saw in the store looked very bright but I do not remember if it was neon blue. I do not think so, it was very BRIGHT, round blue tourmaline but I do not remember the neon quality to it. Then again, I was looking at the pendant.

So I think that if I want to buy it I have to send an email and get at least a disclosure or a merchant''s certificate if they tell me they do not get apprasial for small stones.

And TL, the post you referred me to - that was something!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2010 4:25:46 AM
Author: crasru
Thank you for your advice. I must have not explained myself very well. This pendant is made by top designer, and is sold as designer''s piece of art. I saw it in lilfe - the workmanship is marvellous, that is why I wanted to buy it, not for the Paraiba. But it was too expensive at the store ($ 7000.00). Now I saw it online, at a much cheaper price. I just doubt that the stone in the pendant was indeed Brazilian Paraiba - something tells me they may be more expensive. The one I saw in the store looked very bright but I do not remember if it was neon blue. I do not think so, it was very BRIGHT, round blue tourmaline but I do not remember the neon quality to it. Then again, I was looking at the pendant.

So I think that if I want to buy it I have to send an email and get at least a disclosure or a merchant''s certificate if they tell me they do not get apprasial for small stones.

And TL, the post you referred me to - that was something!
I almost passed out when I saw the neon green and pink diamond ring. Even one of those pink side diamonds is worth a fortune, and I could see one of those on a celebrities hand (just the side stone!!). Oh, to dream *sigh.*

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw a 7ct Brazilian today. It was flawless to boot. Sigh.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could see one IRL. Tourmalines are larger stones, I assume that even one ct has a decent size. But even one ct. of a beautiful Paraiba...Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results