shape
carat
color
clarity

re: morganite vs. pale padparadscha

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

I have been a been reading all the amazing info available here for sometime (thanks everyone!) and I was hoping someone could advise me on an alternative to morganite?

I undertsand that morganite is too soft for everyday wear in a ring - but I really love the pale peachy shades you can get in this stone
(to me they look quite faded and almost vintage the look I am after)

would a really pale padparadscha be my best option?

I have looked at the NSC site and seen a few there - otherwise I guess I could look to champagne or fancy brown diamonds?

any advice would be much appreciated

thanks!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could maybe try tourmaline, they occasionally come in a pale pink peachy color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on how healthy your budget is and your required stone size, I second the suggestion of a peachy salmony garnet or spinel or tourmaline.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:15:37 AM
Author: Chrono
Depending on how healthy your budget is and your required stone size, I second the suggestion of a peachy salmony garnet or spinel or tourmaline.
I would too, but other than spinel, none of these are suitable for daily wear. So it''s pretty much between a spinel, a sapphire or a diamond if you want something in those colors and suitable for 24/7 wear.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:49:24 AM
Author: Gailey
Don''t forget Topaz. Nice ones to be found at AJS Gems and Africa Gems
Good point, but watch out for treatmants as the finest of topazes are quite expensive, so if the price is like 30$/ct...
2.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 10:16:29 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 7/13/2009 8:49:24 AM
Don''t forget Topaz. Nice ones to be found at AJS Gems and Africa Gems
Good point, but watch out for treatmants as the finest of topazes are quite expensive, so if the price is like 30$/ct...
2.gif
Another good point Ma re!

Heliotrope, you haven''t mentioned a budget. If it''s generous, and you think Imperial Topaz maybe a contender then the man you need to talk to is Mr Seve Lembeck who is just the oracle when it comes to Imperial Topaz. He is also one of the nicest and most honourable men I have had the pleasure of dealing with. I also suspect he has more stones than he puts up on either his website or his e-bay site. These sites are not his core business, which is supplying high quality gems to the trade.

Good luck with your search.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A strongly coloured untreated pink topaz is going to cost an arm and a leg.
39.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 12:25:09 PM
A strongly coloured untreated pink topaz is going to cost an arm and a leg.
39.gif
Agreed Chrono, but I think Heliotrope is looking for something a lot less saturated. Don''t have to sell a kidney for those.

Ah, to think I actually held in my hand a John Dyer Imperial Topaz suite (4 stones) that cost a cool $176,000 and I believe that was wholesale! I handed them back pretty quick!!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/13/2009 6:57:05 AM
Author:heliotrope
otherwise I guess I could look to champagne or fancy brown diamonds?
Not sure what your budget is, but I would look to colored diamonds for your desired tone and saturation and general durability for daily wear. I would also look at sapphire and spinel--as Mr Ma Re suggested.

Platinumrock's is a good example of a peachy diamond:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-long-awaited-2-56-ct-peachy-gray-diamond-upgrade.103500/

LembeckGems

Rough_Rock
I guess I would say in order of least expensive on up a durable "substitute" for peach Morganite would be.

Tourmaline

Topaz

Sapphire

Morganite is ok for a ring IMO. Especially if it''s not huge. Just not a knock around ring.

Kunzite is an alternative for Morganite but not the peach "variety". Real pads are expensive, even the real peachy ones.

I''d quote market prices (not from my stock) but there might be a rule against that as it might look like I''m quoting form my own stock or something like that. So let me say, I have no peach stones in stock of any stripe but I think the Tourmalines would be where to look. Not the most prevalent peach stones of the three.

Peach Topaz is kind of scarce too as the Brazilians have been hording that color. Tourmaline, that''s the way to go I''d say.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
thanks everyone - you have given me a lot to look into!

my budget is up to $2500 but I am looking for a stone over 6mm

(which from what I have learnt here means over 1ct depending on the characteristics of the gemstone I choose) can be either in a round or cushion cut

off to start hunting!

1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s a nice budget for a stone of about 1-2 cts, and you can even search for imperial topazes I''d say. Pads tend to be a bit more expensive (the really nice ones), but if you''d like something quite light in tone you might even find a pad. Diamonds are obviously out of the question (unless you don''t mind an irradiated one), as well as morganites since they''re quite inexpensive - you could get a reeeaaally large one for that much money
9.gif
Spinels, tourmalines, garnets...all very affordable compared to how much you can spend and the size you''re looking for. Good luck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 mm would mean anything between 1 to 2 ct and your budget opens up a lot of good options. I agree with Mr Ma Re that you might want to look at imperial topazes since those are durable and very sparkly.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Heliotrope

With that budget I suggest you contact Roger Dery, who is gem cutting royalty. He is just back from Tanzania, not sure what is in his swag bag, but I feel sure he will be able to help you.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
And when I say royalty, I mean royalty. Roger cut this magnificent morganite. I should add that it was photographed by the extremely talented Jeff Hunt

Now this one is probably a tad big for your needs, but it gives you an idea of what the man can do!

roger dery morganite by jeff hunt.jpg

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I recently acquired a pale pink/gray spinel - that would be a good option if it is well cut.

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
WOW!
30.gif
that morganite is amazing! thanks for sharing Gailey!

that is the colour I am after - I actually like the watery pale look of aquamarine (I love the way some of them look like you could dive right in)

but am not really a blue kind of girl - so morganite keeps catching my eye

but I am so rough on my rings - you should see my poor garnets!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice strong peachy pink in that picture, Gailey. And look at the meet points and polish on it!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 4:23:05 PM
Nice strong peachy pink in that picture, Gailey. And look at the meet points and polish on it!
Believe me Chrono, if the thing wasn''t the size of a house cornerstone, I''d have snapped his hand off for it. I keep seeing it as the clasp for an elegant 3/5 strand large pearl choker. I wish a pricescoper would snap it up. Canuk - you out there?

If you think the picture is good, you should see Wink''s video of it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 4:17:12 PM
Author: heliotrope
WOW!
30.gif
that morganite is amazing! thanks for sharing Gailey!

that is the colour I am after - I actually like the watery pale look of aquamarine (I love the way some of them look like you could dive right in)

but am not really a blue kind of girl - so morganite keeps catching my eye

but I am so rough on my rings - you should see my poor garnets!
Babysteps has an aqua such as you describe. I think there''s a picture of it in the Vendor''s pic sticked thread at the top of the page.

Learn to be more lady-like with your rings and you can have morganite. Either that of get morganite for your ears - I did!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 4:38:27 PM

Believe me Chrono, if the thing wasn''t the size of a house cornerstone, I''d have snapped his hand off for it. I keep seeing it as the clasp for an elegant 3/5 strand large pearl choker. I wish a pricescoper would snap it up. Canuk - you out there?

Gailey, you are so amazing, so resourceful!! Thats a beautiful Morganite asscher! Just WOW!! Does he has pricing for his pieces? Do you also have a link to Wink??

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 5:01:26 PM
Author: megeve

Date: 7/14/2009 4:38:27 PM

Gailey, you are so amazing, so resourceful!! Thats a beautiful Morganite asscher! Just WOW!! Does he has pricing for his pieces? Do you also have a link to Wink??
Megeve, I think that should read, "so fanatical, so posessed". I''m not sure Roger publishes his prices, but I''m told he is super nice and approachable (I''m just not worthy!).

I''ll fire off an e-mail to Wink and ask him to post a link to the video on this thread.

LembeckGems

Rough_Rock
Topaz is probably the stone you should concentrate on. A pad over 6 mm is over budget. Tourmaline isn''t plentiful in peachy hues and I''d say you will need to forget about a round shape.

In a peachy pink precious Topaz or a peach / orange / red (apricot) precious Topaz you''re budget will allow a stone up to 4 cts + if you hunt around.

Just beware of the so called pinks that are inexpensive as they are treated white Topaz, coated, or possibly diffused I''m told, mostly being sold as "natural" by wise guys over seas. I''m not overly familiar with those types of "gems" as I ignore that part of the trade.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’ve talked to Roger on several occasions and he’s a darling. No, he does not publish prices and you cannot purchase directly from him. You’ll need to contact one of his dealers to purchase any of his stones. Wink has a website with his contact information here: www.winkjones.com

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2009 7:55:01 AM

I’ve talked to Roger on several occasions and he’s a darling. No, he does not publish prices and you cannot purchase directly from him. You’ll need to contact one of his dealers to purchase any of his stones. Wink has a website with his contact information here: www.winkjones.com

Thanks for the info, Chrono!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 11:31:32 PM

Megeve, I think that should read, ''so fanatical, so posessed''. I''m not sure Roger publishes his prices, but I''m told he is super nice and approachable (I''m just not worthy!).

I''ll fire off an e-mail to Wink and ask him to post a link to the video on this thread.
9.gif

Hope Wink post his link soon!! I am prepared!
10.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roger''s stone is just LOVELY. It''s good that we can contact him thru Wink. Thanks for that info. That photo really makes me want an Assher!!

heliotrope

Shiny_Rock
yes! that asscher is gorgeous

I can't stop thinking about it!

I think you have just about sold me on that cut now - I have seen asschers in real life and in photos and liked them - but not loved them like this one

the lines in this one make me drool
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

thanks for all the suggestions everyone - esp. in regards to heated vs. unheated topaz - I will start looking there

(no more than 2 carat for this ring - I already have a massive smoky topaz (ie: quartz) that is really over the top - emerald cut (so it gets really dirty) and it is about 18mm long - it's nothing $$$ - but I love it for fun - it really gets knocked about cause I am so clumsy!)

otherwise - I better up the budget I guess
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I think Wink might get into trouble for posting the video, so I''ve dug it out. Sorry it''s taken me so long, back at the grind stone to day!

Wink''s video of Roger''s morganite

Enjoy. I was just mesmerised

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results