shape
carat
color
clarity

Re: ethics issue?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
My cousin knows way more than I do about computers, and during a phone conversation asked what "Word program" I was using. Ah........I don''t know. She rhymed off a couple which I knew I didn''t have and that was that...I thought.

About a week later, I received what I think is a "pirated" copy of Microsoft Word downloaded by her uber-techie son. So far, I''ve done nothing (for about 3 months now), but wonder what you would do given this situation.

If it were anyone else who sent me this, I''d have no problem discarding it, but we are both only children and she''s the closest relative I have...more like a sister.
7.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re not comfortable using it, just don''t. Will she really ever know?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t use it. She''ll never know....right?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just say you got it and do not install it. I could not deal with that myself, that is theft and these companies lose a lot to it. So just do not use it. I would also tell her thanks but no thanks in a nice way so she does not think you want more of the same in the future.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Karl, install open office. It''s been three months, there''s no need to bring it up with her. If it were me I''d trash the CD and install open office. If she asks tell her that you heard about open office and wanted to try it. Most techies would be impressed with that and it steers clear of addressing any ethics issues with her directly if you''re not comfortable.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 11:36:27 AM
Author:isaku5

If it were anyone else who sent me this, I''d have no problem discarding it, but we are both only children and she''s the closest relative I have...more like a sister.
7.gif
Sounds like you''re motivated to do more than just not use it.

It it can be natural to do what Diamondfan suggested, I''d agree that''s the best approach.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I thritto using openoffice!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all who replied. She did ask me whether I''d received it, and I told her that I had and "thank you very much". We have not mentioned it since. Yesterday, I was trying to get my "stuff" organized and came across it again; that''s the reason for the "ethics" question.

I knew I wouldn''t feel right installing it, but my DH often tells me I''m "oversensitive" to such issues and that "everybody" is doing it.

Thanks for the link, Strm.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Well, I clicked on the link, but for some reason I keep getting the message that "the page cannot be found". Does anyone know why?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Open Office just had a massive update and last I checked was having trouble coping with all those people trying to download it. The site just worked for me so you may want to try again: http://www.openoffice.org/

ETA: I lied. The link is working, but it's timing out rather than downloading right now. I'd love to have the latest version, but the site just seems so overloaded.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Addy and Storm. The download was successful!
36.gif
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
your welcome

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results