shape
carat
color
clarity

RB Diamond Thoughts?

crr243

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm building a 3-stone RB engagement ring in BGD's Crossed Trellis setting, in Platinum. I was aiming for a modest 0.7-0.8ct center with sides at ~70% of the diameter of the center, using JuneRose's and recordaras's rings as inspiration. My girlfriend's finger is a size 5.75-6 and I know she doesn't want anything too big as she rarely wears jewelry. The upper range of my budget for the center is ~$5000.

I contacted BGD to put the following 0.885 H VS2 BG Blue on hold this morning. I also asked them to upload images (they weren't available at the time) and verify eye cleanliness to 2 inches from every angle. The ASET Image is now available.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.885-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104071920010

It's well within my budget and way bigger than I was looking for (which worries me slightly because I don't want it to be too big for her!). I've also warmed up to the idea of having a bit of fluorescence to add some uniqueness to the diamond.

Note that she refuses to shop with me, so anything sparkly will make her happy, but I really value quality and value.

Thoughts on this diamond? Are there any others you might recommend?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you have worked with Lesley at BGD then you are doing fine.
Don't worry about the stone being to big, have you ever heard of "shrinkage"?

crr243

Rough_Rock
I'm working with Catherine at BGD.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Catherine is also excellent, she and Lesley read each other emails and work on things together.
I worked mainly with Catherine on my wife's pendant upgrade, and a little with Lesley, but all of them involved. Turned out great.
Best of luck.

crr243

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the vote of confidence Willy!

The gemologist has confirmed that the stone is most definitely eye clean from all angles at 2". The cloud is under the table and shows up very faint at 40x magnification.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Proportions on it are excellent.

And it is extremely unlikely that a 0.885 stone will look too big on a size 5.75-6 finger. Many girls aren't into jewellery at all, but still enjoy having a large ering diamond (I am one of those...)

crr243

Rough_Rock
Thanks to those who have chimed in!

Catherine ensures me that there is no cloudiness or milkiness caused by the fluorescence; I realize this would be rare, but I asked for peace of mind.

Any last thoughts before I pull the trigger on this diamond? The ASET and Idealscope look good to my very untrained eye. However, the ASET image has a dark spot in the center and looks a little fainter in color in the bottom right (3 o'clock to 6 o'clock) vs the top left (9 o'clock to 12 o'clock). Are these observations of concern?

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
crr243 said:
Thanks to those who have chimed in!

Catherine ensures me that there is no cloudiness or milkiness caused by the fluorescence; I realize this would be rare, but I asked for peace of mind.

Any last thoughts before I pull the trigger on this diamond? The ASET and Idealscope look good to my very untrained eye. However, the ASET image has a dark spot in the center and looks a little fainter in color in the bottom right (3 o'clock to 6 o'clock) vs the top left (9 o'clock to 12 o'clock). Are these observations of concern?

From comparing the ASET to the inclusion map, my guess is that the dark spot in the center of the diamond corresponds to the cloud. It seems to me that the cloud may be interfering with light return in that area. Whether this would be noticeable to your eye when viewing the actual diamond - I have no clue. But I would be concerned about it as well, if I were in your place.

The second thing you mentioned could just be due to a tiny tilt in the camera, diamond, or ASET scope, I believe.

What I am interested to know is why the centre of the ASET is green, even though the pavilion angle is 40.9. I thought the centre is supposed to turn green below a pavilion angle of 40.77 or something like that? Can anyone explain this?

crr243

Rough_Rock
metatrix|1403195067|3696560 said:
From comparing the ASET to the inclusion map, my guess is that the dark spot in the center of the diamond corresponds to the cloud. It seems to me that the cloud may be interfering with light return in that area. Whether this would be noticeable to your eye when viewing the actual diamond - I have no clue. But I would be concerned about it as well, if I were in your place.

The second thing you mentioned could just be due to a tiny tilt in the camera, diamond, or ASET scope, I believe.

What I am interested to know is why the centre of the ASET is green, even though the pavilion angle is 40.9. I thought the centre is supposed to turn green below a pavilion angle of 40.77 or something like that? Can anyone explain this?

I had the same thoughts as you, but there doesn't seem to be any real impact on the Idealscope image.

I've ordered the stone but it'll be a couple days before I can send over the bankwire, so I'm really curious to hear the responses here.

I ordered with the following pair after a short discussion with Catherine:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.313-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104070177078
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.313-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-c-104070177077

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, what do you mean by 'there doesn't seem to be any real impact on the idealscope image'? Where is the IS? I only see the ASET. If the effect is noticeable, what you would notice is a spot of leakage (darkness) right in the centre of the diamond. It might end up looking like the diamond has an old school largish culet that is slightly off centre. Or it is possible it could look like a dark inclusion. Or you might not even notice it.

The two side stones you picked are perfect, although personally I would not pay that much to get 'signature ideal' cut branding and VS2 clarity in stones so small. I don't think it's really worth the extra cash. Although, on the other hand, the absolute difference in price at that carat weight may be insignificant.

crr243

Rough_Rock
The link to the 0.885ct BG Blue diamond has both an ASET and IS image.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.885-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104071920010

I see a small spot on the IS image that would line up with what we're seeing on the ASET but it doesn't look very pronounced. It is very likely the cloud, but I was assured that the diamond is very eye clean from close up (about 2"), from every angle.

I might save a couple hundred dollars by going with I colored sidestones, but it doesn't look like I'd save anything at BGD by dropping in clarity.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Ah, I see it now. The IS image was not showing up when I was looking at it through Tapatalk on my Ipad.

It's hard to tell because those IS and ASET images look kinda...digitized (I think most vendors run their scope images through photo finishing software to make them look nicer). I'm not even sure if they are backlit. I actually think what is happening is that the cloud is absorbing light, neither allowing it to reflect back or leak out. That's why the spot appears black on both the IS and the ASET. My guess is that, if anything, it will appear like a fuzzy black inclusion, regardless of the angle at which you look at the stone.

Why don't you ask BGD specifically about the optical effect of that cloud? Ask them not only if the cloud itself is visible, but also ask whether the cloud affects the light return or contrast pattern in any way under a diffuse office-type lighting environment. And ask if there is any cloudiness in the centre of the stone. I think I've read that the combo of strong fluorescence and light distortion around an inclusion can cause a localized disruption in transparency, particularly in sunlight.

crr243

Rough_Rock
I will follow up with BGD, but my reading suggests that a cloud very, very rarely impacts light performance in a VS1.

crr243

Rough_Rock
Catherine's response came pretty quickly:

Thank you for your email. Please do keep in mind that the images are highly magnified. I have seen the stone and Brian Gavin looked at the diamond as well. It is absolutely gorgeous. The cloud has no negative effect on the diamond nor does it effect the light performance. We believe that you will be absolutely blown away by the set of diamonds that we will be using for your ring.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Alright, then go for it! Even if there was an effect, you would be unlikely to see it in a 0.9 ct stone anyway. And that email is all the reassurance you need.

This ring is going to be absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see it.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
I think these are some great options in your price range. Good job on matching the side stones so well! I quite like three-stone rings; I think this one will be a stunner!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results