shape
carat
color
clarity

Random talk thread!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh! Seriously. I can't wait to move. I know the move itself will be such a pain, but I think we'll be so so so happy once we're settled in with our new furniture and new/clean place. We'll get to hang our wedding photos!

Just under 3 weeks from when we get the keys and just under 4 weeks until we move in!

audball

Ideal_Rock
We get the keys a week from Monday, squee! And we officially move in 2 weeks from tomorrow. So.freaking.ready!

We have 3 pieces of furniture that we aren't moving with us that we need to do something with. None of them are really worth anything so I'm not inclined to post them to somewhere like Craigslist to try and sell them. Aside from not wanting to invite strangers in for items that aren't of any real value, we just have so much to do the next two weeks to get ready for the actual moving part that I don't want to juggle inquiries from people about items they probably won't end up wanting to come and get anyway!

We're looking into donations that pick-up. So far all I've found is Salvation Army. We schedule a day and they'll come and pick up the items we don't wan to keep. I'm thinking this is the best bet so we just don't have to worry about it. I'm trying to figure out which day to schedule it for. Two of the items we can live without even now, but the one item we need (pretty close at least) to the last day we're here is our couch. I was thinking about having all three picked up on Friday (the day before we move) since we'll be finalizing packing that day anyway and won't have time for sitting around on the couch! Not to mention I'm having our cable/internet set up/transferred to the new place Friday morning so that we're up and running when we move-in on Saturday. The only issue with selecting Friday is that our cable/internet installation is at the new place between 10am-12noon and Salvation Army doesn't give time appointments, just day appointments and can come anytime after 7am. I'm planning to take that Friday off anyway, but I also planned to work that day taking little things over that I don't want to put in the moving truck (like loose mirrors, lamps, my wedding dress and our other wedding things, etc) and that would be challenging if I was stuck at the old place with no cable/internet waiting for Salvation Army to randomly show up. So it seems the better plan would be to schedule a time after the move, but then sitting around the house all day with nothing to do waiting for them to show up doesn't sound fun either. What to do!? Gah.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old furniture is tough! We ran into similar problems when we left the apartment. Thankfully, it was just the twin sized bed we'd been using as a couch so I just shoved it in the car and drove it to the apartment dumpster. (Not supposed to do that, but everyone else did and I'd been paying WAY more than fair price rent long enough and having maintenance blow me off.... not to mention them leaving us without power for 8 days in the winter and using toxic paint with us home...)

Salvation Army was the only place I found too. I didn't like the all day waiting thing. Miserable to work around when you've got other stuff to deal with!
I think they let you stick it outside for them to just pick up there so long as you put a clear sign on it stating it is for them to pick-up. If you've got a patio area, that might be an option.

Good luck!
You're almost there :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH's birthday is today. As expected, his ex tried to make a mess of it but I didn't let her ruin the day.

She got tickets to a play for her and "A" right in the middle of the day so I got tickets to the play we were going to see for last night instead (which was actually better as it was adults/teens rather than little kids that would have been at the 2:30 show).

She showed up late this morning to pick up "A"... No problem! I made DH's favorite French dip sandwich for lunch.

I told her we would be gone until 8pm as I had dinner reservations for 2, she tried to insist "A" should join us. Oh.... reservations are at a brewery. (DH likes good beer & pastrami sandwiches!)

She had "A" call right during the middle of dinner to tell us she'd lost something. No biggie! Don't worry. I'll call when we leave :))

So DH had a great b-day and really enjoyed himself.

Seussical the Musical (DH love Dr. Seuss & Monty Python... this was Dr. Seuss musical written by Monty Python writer!)
French dips (with my carefully marinated & roasted NY strip :lickout: )
concert (where we were all encouraged to sing along & dance!)
dinner & beer & dessert at local brewery
lemon chiffon cake with homemade lemon curd filling & fresh raspberries
airplane gifts ("A" got him a plastic sawhorse to rest the tail on and I got him the tire & tube for the nose wheel)

ETA: OHHHHH!!!!
And I got to give him a husband card for the first time ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402291887|3689189 said:
Old furniture is tough! We ran into similar problems when we left the apartment. Thankfully, it was just the twin sized bed we'd been using as a couch so I just shoved it in the car and drove it to the apartment dumpster. (Not supposed to do that, but everyone else did and I'd been paying WAY more than fair price rent long enough and having maintenance blow me off.... not to mention them leaving us without power for 8 days in the winter and using toxic paint with us home...)

Salvation Army was the only place I found too. I didn't like the all day waiting thing. Miserable to work around when you've got other stuff to deal with!
I think they let you stick it outside for them to just pick up there so long as you put a clear sign on it stating it is for them to pick-up. If you've got a patio area, that might be an option.

Good luck!
You're almost there :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
It really is! We tentatively schedule an appointment for pickup of the items we aren't moving for Thursday (2 days before we move). I have nothing planned that day with other appointments so if I have to work from home all day and get stuck there, it'll be fine. We may not have to use the appointment, though! I asked around to a few friends I knew who were looking for a new (to them) couch and it turns out we found someone (a close friend of mine and her husband) who are interested in taking all three of the pieces of furniture we want to re-home. They're moving this Saturday (a week before us) and can come by to pick it all up in their UHaul. We'll have to make due without any seating (except our bed, ha!) for a week, but I figure we work all day and then we'll have lots to do that week (packing, etc) so I don't think it'll be a big deal. I'm waiting until later this afternoon to confirm with them and if they decide to go for it, I'll cancel the Salvation Army pick-up and we'll be a few (BIG) steps closer to be out of this place! I.can't.wait.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402292429|3689192 said:
DH's birthday is today. As expected, his ex tried to make a mess of it but I didn't let her ruin the day.

She got tickets to a play for her and "A" right in the middle of the day so I got tickets to the play we were going to see for last night instead (which was actually better as it was adults/teens rather than little kids that would have been at the 2:30 show).

She showed up late this morning to pick up "A"... No problem! I made DH's favorite French dip sandwich for lunch.

I told her we would be gone until 8pm as I had dinner reservations for 2, she tried to insist "A" should join us. Oh.... reservations are at a brewery. (DH likes good beer & pastrami sandwiches!)

She had "A" call right during the middle of dinner to tell us she'd lost something. No biggie! Don't worry. I'll call when we leave :))

So DH had a great b-day and really enjoyed himself.

Seussical the Musical (DH love Dr. Seuss & Monty Python... this was Dr. Seuss musical written by Monty Python writer!)
French dips (with my carefully marinated & roasted NY strip :lickout: )
concert (where we were all encouraged to sing along & dance!)
dinner & beer & dessert at local brewery
lemon chiffon cake with homemade lemon curd filling & fresh raspberries
airplane gifts ("A" got him a plastic sawhorse to rest the tail on and I got him the tire & tube for the nose wheel)

ETA: OHHHHH!!!!
And I got to give him a husband card for the first time ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy Belated birthday to B! Despite the ex-wife, it sounds like you pulled off a fabulous birthday for him! The lemon chiffon cake with lemon curd sounds AMAZING. I love love love lemon desserts. DH, however, is not a big fan so we don't usually make anything like that ourselves. I'm also, admittedly, a bigger fan of chocolate than lemon so I rarely choose it when we're out and getting our own because the chocolate options are always so appealing, but I do love a good lemon dessert! I never turn them down at a party! The musical sounded adorable and yay for gifting a husband card! That's the best.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully your friends can pick it up so you don't have to worry about being around for the other place!

You are getting so close! Did you get your new furniture purchased? Are they delivering to your new place or are you having the movers take it?

It was fun shopping for the card! So many great ones to choose from :appl:
The play was cute but maybe a bit too cute. I'd expected a bit more of the Monty Python humor than they had in there and DH said the same thing. It is hard when they are trying to write something for everyone of all ages! Still, it was fun and some of the performers were very talented.

The cake was amazing! I can't eat much wheat or I get very sick.... so I'm sick :rolleyes:
DH loves all sorts of citrus stuff. He asked for a lemon cake one year and I ran across this recipe. I've modified it to be key lime (OMG homemade key lime curd is yummy!!!) and also done it as orange cake with lemon filling.
I got creative a few years ago and did the usual lemon recipe but did it as cupcakes. After they cooled, I cut the center out of the tops and scooped a bit of cupcake out (important lesson.... a little bite of 3 or 4 dozen cupcakes is a LOT of cupcake to eat :bigsmile: ) so I could fill it with homemade lemon curd. I put the little top back on each and then frosted. So cute and yummy! DH took them to work to celebrate his anniversary of hire with some of his co-workers. (which isn't weird because people often bring treats in to stick in the coffee room nearest their office & e-mail out so people know to go get -- I was a bit confused as I'd never heard of such a thing but I guess it is done there!)

I did have a flourless chocolate cake for dessert at the restaurant! LOVE chocolate :lickout:

audball

Ideal_Rock
I think they're going to take it -- scheduled to come get it from us this Saturday, I'll believe it when it's GONE! We're getting very close! Keys in 5 days and officially moving in 10! Almost single digits!!

We bought a new couch and it's being delivered directly to the new apartment on Tuesday. The only other new furniture we need is a dining set but we're going to wait until after we get moved so we can buy/bring it to the new place or have it delivered. We can live without one for a few weeks if necessary unlike the couch which we needed right away.

You bake a lot! We enjoy it but don't do it often because we LOVE sweets so much we gobble them all up. Our offices do similar things for random occasions from birthdays to whatever and we get emails through the distribution list a few times a month with some goodies in the break room someone brought it for something in particular. That sounds totally normal to me!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2:34 AM

I am going to bed now.
Just finished a take home exam that is due at 8:30am. Alarm going off at 5:30.

I can not wait for this quarter to be over. I am taking summer off for the first time in... ever!
I've been doing summer quarter since I started and was working full time since HS graduation (plus summers before then).

Looking forward to relaxing and doing "fun" stuff around here -- weeding, veggie growing, deck repair, garage organizing, shed sorting (as in finish unpacking since we've lived here for something like 8 or 9 years), filing, cleaning...

audball

Ideal_Rock
I hope you make it through the day! That's not a lot of sleep!

Try and have a little more fun on your summer quarter off! All the stuff you listed is WORK, not fun at all!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1402666174|3692325 said:
I hope you make it through the day! That's not a lot of sleep!

Try and have a little more fun on your summer quarter off! All the stuff you listed is WORK, not fun at all!

I'm going to enjoy summer! Trying to figure out some camping weekends or something too.

I LOVE being out in the garden so that isn't so much work as it is something I've been wanting to do but busy with school & hurt ankle.

The rest will get done or not as I feel. Filing is actually pretty relaxing and I enjoy sorting through the stuff in the shed or garage. Little piles to trash, big piles to donate, some to come in or get organized in the storage. I've also got some baby clothes out there somewhere (I think) that could be found in preparation...

DH suggested I should also try to find the time to finish my written exam and do some more flying :))

Just have to focus this weekend and make it through finals!
(dang quarter system.... You start classes and a few weeks later register for the next quarter then exams. Repeat until sick of it and then keep on going. Always busy getting ready for exams :nono: )

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1402491789|3690806 said:
I think they're going to take it -- scheduled to come get it from us this Saturday, I'll believe it when it's GONE! We're getting very close! Keys in 5 days and officially moving in 10! Almost single digits!!

We bought a new couch and it's being delivered directly to the new apartment on Tuesday. The only other new furniture we need is a dining set but we're going to wait until after we get moved so we can buy/bring it to the new place or have it delivered. We can live without one for a few weeks if necessary unlike the couch which we needed right away.

You bake a lot! We enjoy it but don't do it often because we LOVE sweets so much we gobble them all up. Our offices do similar things for random occasions from birthdays to whatever and we get emails through the distribution list a few times a month with some goodies in the break room someone brought it for something in particular. That sounds totally normal to me!

Almost there!!!!

Exciting days coming up for you! I hope it all goes smoothly and you're enjoying your new home soon :))

Baking....
Yeah. I do bake a lot. I try to do most of our stuff from scratch (including breads, hamburger buns, etc) because it is so much better and much less expensive.
Since I can't have much wheat, I don't bake as many sweets as I used to. Not nearly as fun to do all the baking and smelling the yummy stuff if when it is done you have to sit and watch while everyone else gets to eat it... (I mean, I'm glad they enjoy but it isn't the same if you don't get to have the gooey, warm cookies too!)

DH's b-day and one of the Jewish holidays (Shavuot) are very near each other so I end up doing a cheesecake for the holiday and then a cake for him right after (or before).

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402708568|3692830 said:
I'm going to enjoy summer! Trying to figure out some camping weekends or something too.

I LOVE being out in the garden so that isn't so much work as it is something I've been wanting to do but busy with school & hurt ankle.

The rest will get done or not as I feel. Filing is actually pretty relaxing and I enjoy sorting through the stuff in the shed or garage. Little piles to trash, big piles to donate, some to come in or get organized in the storage. I've also got some baby clothes out there somewhere (I think) that could be found in preparation...

DH suggested I should also try to find the time to finish my written exam and do some more flying :))

Just have to focus this weekend and make it through finals!
(dang quarter system.... You start classes and a few weeks later register for the next quarter then exams. Repeat until sick of it and then keep on going. Always busy getting ready for exams :nono: )
You'll make it! Stay afloat and summer will be upon you soon!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402708964|3692838 said:
Almost there!!!!

Exciting days coming up for you! I hope it all goes smoothly and you're enjoying your new home soon :))

Baking....
Yeah. I do bake a lot. I try to do most of our stuff from scratch (including breads, hamburger buns, etc) because it is so much better and much less expensive.
Since I can't have much wheat, I don't bake as many sweets as I used to. Not nearly as fun to do all the baking and smelling the yummy stuff if when it is done you have to sit and watch while everyone else gets to eat it... (I mean, I'm glad they enjoy but it isn't the same if you don't get to have the gooey, warm cookies too!)

DH's b-day and one of the Jewish holidays (Shavuot) are very near each other so I end up doing a cheesecake for the holiday and then a cake for him right after (or before).
Indeed! I can't wait for the move part to be over so we can settle in and do the fun stuff like getting some new things and hanging pictures, etc! Our friend came this morning and picked up the couch, entertainment center, and small table we were going to donate so we were able to call and cancel the Salvation Army pick-up. Our little apartment is looking so empty right now! One week to moving day! I wish you lived close so we could source some home-made baked goods for moving day! :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the men who was part of the minyan for our wedding ceremony died today. He was also one of the teachers who taught my conversion courses and someone I consider a friend. We didn't know him as well as I would have liked -- hard to get much time to talk with someone who is so active and loved by all! He was always smiling, full of energy, and surrounded by friends.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear that, TP :((

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1402863882|3693734 said:
I'm so sorry to hear that, TP :((

We'll attend the funeral tomorrow. I absolutely HATE funerals, but what I hate even more is when people assume that "lots" of other people will be there and decide to not go.... only to have so many others assume the same thing.
He was a kind man who took time out of his life to be there to support us. Now we will be there to support his family.

I'm dropping my black dress and DH's suit off at the cleaners this morning so they'll be clean and ready to go.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay Audball --- KEYS today :appl: :appl:

Hope it all goes smoothly as you start getting your stuff moved it :))

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402923157|3694108 said:
We'll attend the funeral tomorrow. I absolutely HATE funerals, but what I hate even more is when people assume that "lots" of other people will be there and decide to not go.... only to have so many others assume the same thing.
He was a kind man who took time out of his life to be there to support us. Now we will be there to support his family.

I'm dropping my black dress and DH's suit off at the cleaners this morning so they'll be clean and ready to go.
Very sweet of you. Funerals are hard, but I'm sure the family will appreciate the attendance.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402923213|3694109 said:

Keys in hand! Woohoo!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1402928828|3694163 said:
TooPatient|1402923213|3694109 said:

Keys in hand! Woohoo!

Yay!!!!!

Furniture delivered tomorrow?

Just a few days and you'll be all settled in your new home!

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1402931628|3694188 said:
Yay!!!!!

Furniture delivered tomorrow?

Just a few days and you'll be all settled in your new home!
Couch is being delivered tomorrow and we'll move the rest of our stuff on Saturday :))

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.

That was the largest funeral I have ever attended. The parking lot was full. The lot at the school across the street was full. The parking lot at the park down the road was full. The street was lined with cars.

The service was as large as some of the High Holiday services I've been to (the couple of days all the people who never come actually show up and bring out of town family). It was standing room only. People standing down the stairs on either side of this HUGE room and filling the back. More in the foyer. And this during the middle of the work/school day! (between funeral, cemetery, lunch it was all afternoon)

I don't know what he died of, (and have enough respect for the family to not ask) but I know it was very sudden and unexpected. He was his usual active self at the gym and services Friday and died Saturday morning. Just shy of 79 (even though I could have sworn he was a good 10 years younger!). It was exactly what he would have wanted...

audball

Ideal_Rock
Always great to see a solid turnout. I bet you're glad you went.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1403097568|3695651 said:
Always great to see a solid turnout. I bet you're glad you went.

I'm so glad we went. It was amazing to see everyone there for his family. Easily 1000+ people at the funeral. Hundreds more each night for Shiva minyan.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1403196044|3696581 said:
I'm so glad we went. It was amazing to see everyone there for his family. Easily 1000+ people at the funeral. Hundreds more each night for Shiva minyan.
Wow.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I checked in a day early for our weekly photo threads. I have nothing to contribute for Week 24 since we had no children (or guests at all for that matter) at our elopement. You're still behind from last week, too!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1403196411|3696591 said:
I checked in a day early for our weekly photo threads. I have nothing to contribute for Week 24 since we had no children (or guests at all for that matter) at our elopement. You're still behind from last week, too!

I've lost count of weeks. Will catch up tomorrow. I need some fun time going through pictures. Last of my final exams for the quarter about to start. Finals plus funeral makes a hard week...

OH... And "A" has been in a really odd mood. Like destroying her lunch box and lying about it and all sorts of strange discussions. She goes through these odd stretches and they are really disturbing. Not like physically dangerous. More like creepy, manipulative, boundary pushing, emotional things. Not so often anymore, but exhausting.

audball

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1403202599|3696660 said:
I've lost count of weeks. Will catch up tomorrow. I need some fun time going through pictures. Last of my final exams for the quarter about to start. Finals plus funeral makes a hard week...

OH... And "A" has been in a really odd mood. Like destroying her lunch box and lying about it and all sorts of strange discussions. She goes through these odd stretches and they are really disturbing. Not like physically dangerous. More like creepy, manipulative, boundary pushing, emotional things. Not so often anymore, but exhausting.
Hah, me too. We've only got a few weeks left! Last week was Week 23 (hair) and this week (Week 24, children). I didn't have one for this week.

We have these left:
Week 25- Favorite Toast/Speech
Week 26- Just Becuz
Week 27- OMG Wedding Moment
Week 28- Favorite Nail Shot
Week 29- Wedding Transportation

Then we're done! Crazy! Good luck with exams...you'll be on summer break SOON! Teenagers are weird - lol.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Soooo tired! Moving is over! Phew!

We have everything moved over, assembled, and unpacked. The old place has been thoroughly cleaned out and is ready to turn back over to our landlord on Sunday. Can't wait for it to be out of our hands altogether.

Now the fun stuff! Getting our WEDDING PICTURES hung for the first time and decorating/nesting in our first (nice) home together post-wedding! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results