shape
carat
color
clarity

Random question...non-liw related

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Hey gals- I know I should prob post this in another forum, but I feel like I have more of a "relationship" with the LIW girls, so I know I can trust your opinions! lol

Ok so SO and I are remodeling our kitchen. We ordered the appliances first, all stainless steel because we think they look much better than colored one, and it adds to the houses resale value. Now that we have the cabinets ordered and the countertops selected, we moved onto sink/faucet/hardware. We want to get this fabulous decorative rubbed bronze farm sink (deep, exposed on outside, not undermount, see photo. not the one i am referring to, but so you get the idea. We also found this beautiful oil rubbed bronze faucet and similar handles/knobs (very rustic, think wrought iron).

My question for you is, do you think the bronze colors would look weird against stainless steel appliances? Should I get stainless faucets/knobs? Will that clash or is that not something that needs to "match"? Coincidentally, when I googles farm sink so I could get a pic to show you guys, this pic had stainless steel appliances, a bronze sink, and a non-stainless steel faucet. So I guess its ok to do?? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

sink.jpg

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would look just fine, assuming there is something to tie in the bronze. For instance, in that pic, the cabinets and the granite have reddish tones that tie the colors together.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Elle--what color are your cabinets & countertops?

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies. The cabinets are a glazed autumn maple. Similar to the ones in the previous photo, maybe slightly lighter.

Are counters will be soapstone, which are a blackish/grey with white veining in the them. And the floor we were planning on doing slate tiles, which is a natural stone (again very rustic/elegant) which is multicolored (see pic), so I think it would tie in the bronze no?

NaturalSlateFloor.jpg

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
If your slate tiles have some reddish tints then I think it would work. I would use the darker oil-rubbed bronze look for your faucet (like your picture) or even black fixtures. The stainless steel appliances will look just fine with it all! You may also consider the darker bronze/black knobs and drawer pulls. My only concern would be whether the countertops will be too modern for the sink. The black/grey and white sounds more modern but that could also be because I''m only reading it and not seeing an actual picture of it! If you think it looks ok next to the color of the sink then I''m sure it will look great! I
30.gif
kitchen redos! Good luck!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I love soapstone counters! I think that the bronze would look great with that combination, actually. I do think sticking with darker hardware on the cabinets would help to tie it in. What kind of appliances are you getting?

I can''t wait until we get to redo the kitchen, but I think it''ll be a few years.
8.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends what your goals are for this home. If you intend to stay there for the foreseeable future, I would go for it.

However, if you're thinking of selling in the near (or simply not-too-far) future, then I might stick to 'safer' choices like brushed nickel for your faucets. I only mention that because you said you chose stainless for its effect on resale.

I just think it MAY end up being a love-it or hate-it type of thing. And a lot of potential buyers lack vision and/or simply don't want to have to change stuff like that out. I mean, there are buyers out there who get turned off by paint colours! (Which is so easy to fix unlike something important such as layout).

So in short, not the type of thing I'd do in a 'flip home' but definitely something I would go for in my 'dream home'
1.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 4:23:10 PM
Author: sparklyheart
If your slate tiles have some reddish tints then I think it would work. I would use the darker oil-rubbed bronze look for your faucet (like your picture) or even black fixtures. The stainless steel appliances will look just fine with it all! You may also consider the darker bronze/black knobs and drawer pulls. My only concern would be whether the countertops will be too modern for the sink. The black/grey and white sounds more modern but that could also be because I''m only reading it and not seeing an actual picture of it! If you think it looks ok next to the color of the sink then I''m sure it will look great! I
30.gif
kitchen redos! Good luck!
Haha its so funny you said that because thats actually what we are doing. We found a great kohler faucet that is pretty much almost black, which is why i said "think wrought iron", cause it doesnt really scream "bronze" to me. Same as the fixtures, they look black basically. Its similar to this, only this is a bathroom sink....

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
sorry, dont know why the faucet didnt post.... here it is again (bathroom faucet, but similar finish)

kohler.jpg

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the countertop

countertops.jpg

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
That faucet is exactly the color I was thinking of! And the countertops are not what I pictured at all so I''m glad you included that! I think those countertops would look GREAT with the sink/faucet/appliance combos you have picked.
36.gif

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think your kitchen is going to be GORGEOUS!

Post pics when it''s all done
1.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 7:53:10 PM
Author: sparklyheart
That faucet is exactly the color I was thinking of! And the countertops are not what I pictured at all so I''m glad you included that! I think those countertops would look GREAT with the sink/faucet/appliance combos you have picked.
36.gif
Aww good! Thanks! Yeah I am just so nervous with all the decisions. I never knew how indecisive I was before!
20.gif
I guess its good practice though for when it comes time to plan the wedding! Haha

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 9:03:27 PM
Author: misskitty
I think your kitchen is going to be GORGEOUS!

Post pics when it''s all done
1.gif
THANK YOU! I hope so!
1.gif
lol

I am so excited, cant wait for it to be finished. I will def post pics when its finished (probably like 3 weeks or so)!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gorgeous kitchen! I think it would work fine along the same line as Elle just said .

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 5:18:16 PM
Author: NakedFinger
sorry, dont know why the faucet didnt post.... here it is again (bathroom faucet, but similar finish)
As an interior designer, i APPLAUD your choice! ORB is a great finish. Very elegant but not flashy.
Because it tends to be dark and textured, it's pretty easy to keep it looking clean.
Usually in the design world, we work with either stainless steel OR oil rubbed bronze but in your case i think it will be beautiful! Especially if you have some darker colors in your soapstone.

Very rarely do you see ORB that is actually reddish.. it may sometimes have copper "undertones", but generally it varies from dark, dark chocolate to black and even a dark grey. Because different companies have different ideas of what Oil Rubbed Bronze is, i do recommend buying all of your stationary kitchen "accessories" from one place (faucet, hand towel holder, door pulls, etc.). That way they will be sure to be the same finish.

Kohler is a great brand too. Very easy to install.. holds up well.
and I LOVE the style of sink you chose!

Make sure you post pics when your project is done!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:40:33 PM
Author: jaylex
As an interior designer, i APPLAUD your choice! ORB is a great finish. Very elegant but not flashy.
Because it tends to be dark and textured, it''s pretty easy to keep it looking clean.
Usually in the design world, we work with either stainless steel OR oil rubbed bronze but in your case i think it will be beautiful! Especially if you have some darker colors in your soapstone.

Very rarely do you see ORB that is actually reddish.. it may sometimes have copper ''undertones'', but generally it varies from dark, dark chocolate to black and even a dark grey. Because different companies have different ideas of what Oil Rubbed Bronze is, i do recommend buying all of your stationary kitchen ''accessories'' from one place (faucet, hand towel holder, door pulls, etc.). That way they will be sure to be the same finish.

jaylex- WOW thank you SO much!!
4.gif
That makes me feel SOO much better! I appreciate your feedback, and feel confident in my choices moving forward. Although....you may be kicking yourself later for telling me you are an interior designer. With a whole new house to decorate once the kitchen is finished...I may be asking for your help alot! Haha
12.gif

I will def post pics when the kitchen is finished. I cant wait!

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 9:51:30 AM
Author: NakedFinger

Date: 5/27/2009 11:40:33 PM
Author: jaylex
Because it tends to be dark and textured, it''s pretty easy to keep it looking clean.

Very rarely do you see ORB that is actually reddish.. it may sometimes have copper ''undertones'', but generally it varies from dark, dark chocolate to black and even a dark grey. Because different companies have different ideas of what Oil Rubbed Bronze is, i do recommend buying all of your stationary kitchen ''accessories'' from one place (faucet, hand towel holder, door pulls, etc.). That way they will be sure to be the same finish.

jaylex- WOW thank you SO much!!
4.gif
That makes me feel SOO much better! I appreciate your feedback, and feel confident in my choices moving forward. Although....you may be kicking yourself later for telling me you are an interior designer. With a whole new house to decorate once the kitchen is finished...I may be asking for your help alot! Haha
12.gif

I will def post pics when the kitchen is finished. I cant wait!
Did I say "interior designer"? I meant sanitation officer....
5.gif
JK.

He he. No Prob! I''ll send you an invoice! JP! I''m just full of jokes today!

Just send me a shoutout! I love helping!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I agree that it''s going to look amazing! Can''t wait to see it when it''s done!
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
We have oil rubbed bronze fixtures and stainless steel appliances...it looks fine.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know why I wasn''t think about this earlier, but my parents have the ORB faucet/drawer pulls/light fixtures with a stainless steel sink and appliances and it all looks SOOOO good! I feel really silly now for trying to picture your combo when it''s in my parents own kitchen.. lol. Their countertops are even lighter..they are granite with light brown, gold, and dark brown and it all just works together really well. I can''t wait to see your finished kitchen! Or even progress pictures
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results