shape
carat
color
clarity

Random acts of kindness -- in the spirit of "Show me the ring!"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I love pointing out beautiful jewelry to its owner. What can I say? I feel a kindred to others with good taste.
13.gif

Wouldn''t it be great if all we PS''ers joined up in the cause of letting beautiful ering wearers all over the globe know just how much it''s appreciated? I mean, think about how much prettier the world is, thanks to people who have great taste in jewelry!

19.gif
9.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 10:02:38 AM
Author: mercoledi
Yeah, this is pretty icy social climate but hey, if you can''t make small talk at a keg on the 4th, when can you?

Boston has some big rocks, but this wasn''t one of them. Maybe because I was blingless (what with the ocean and all). Whatever.

Besides, I know the host has a friend who works for GIA in Cali and purportedly has an awesome, fiery old-cut round. Wouldn''t want to miss meeting her!

Hmm, I can''t seem to make it to any of the GTG''s, maybe this is how I can ferret out my local PSers? See who doesn''t recoil in horror when complimented?
9.gif

Most people''s wedding jewelry is more of a token than a hobby I guess.

I''m in the boston area! I''ll keep my eyes open and my left hand extended, mercoledi!
35.gif
10.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being in the LA area I often see some gorgeous rings. If they seem friendly I definitely comment and say something nice. A couple of my friends recently got engaged and I was very impressed with their rings and definitely gushed how lovely they were. One was a tiffany novo and another one was a lovely generic cushion with a halo with inbetween modern and antique faceting pattern...both were stunning!! If I was out of the closet with how much of a diamond nut I am to them I totally would have asked to take pictures to share with you guys...but sadly they don''t know the madness of my obsession.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s nice when we get complitmented about our rings or jewelry so why not spread the wealth. I think I will make it a point to make "someone''s day" by complimenting them. I know how good it has made me feel in the past. (Except for the time when a weird guy said I had a huge rock while waiting in line at the ATM. Luckily I knew there where cameras''s and I kept looking over my shoulder until I left.) That was not fun!
23.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 4:32:24 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Being in the LA area I often see some gorgeous rings. If they seem friendly I definitely comment and say something nice. A couple of my friends recently got engaged and I was very impressed with their rings and definitely gushed how lovely they were. One was a tiffany novo and another one was a lovely generic cushion with a halo with inbetween modern and antique faceting pattern...both were stunning!! If I was out of the closet with how much of a diamond nut I am to them I totally would have asked to take pictures to share with you guys...but sadly they don''t know the madness of my obsession.

I have this problem too, a close friend has an old-cut round in an amazing amazing amazing setting that''s a family heirloom and I really really want to spend some time admiring it, get nice pictures, work out the cut, but it would totally freak her out.
15.gif

tberube I''ve always got my eyes pealed for your EC!

Lane

Shiny_Rock
YAY!!!!! What fun stories and happy ideas!!

So I was just out and about again, and a saleswoman was helping me find something in the drugstore (Clarin''s self tanner -- it''s FABULOUS) and caught my attention with a lovely flashy ring (simple solitaire -- gorgeous and sparkly). I smiled and said, "oh, look at it sparkling", and she seemed thrilled. I agree with the earlier comment that it gets you a closer look! This is a bonus!

Most of all, since thinking of this thread last night, NOW complimenting rings makes me smile and think of all my virtual friends here! It''s nice to have a little virtual support network, esp. as I''m still a LIW -- so you better believe when I have a ring on, I''ll be strolling proudly through Boston with my hand in the air too!!!! :)
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 4:39:19 PM
Author: mercoledi

Date: 7/15/2008 4:32:24 PM
Author: kcoursolle

I have this problem too, a close friend has an old-cut round in an amazing amazing amazing setting that''s a family heirloom and I really really want to spend some time admiring it, get nice pictures, work out the cut, but it would totally freak her out.
15.gif

tberube I''ve always got my eyes pealed for your EC!
I have a feeling that quite a few of us are still in the closet LOL!!! I definitely would have freaked them out if I bombared them with questions and pictures.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I frequently compliment people''s jewelry when I am out. Especially when I get caught drooling over an exceptional piece!
41.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I have a story like that actually. I noticed that the teller at my bank was wearing an engagement ring. I complimented her on it and she held out her hand and admired it while telling me that she and her husband couldn't afford it when they got married and had only recently purchased it. She was delighted!

To be honest, the diamond was so small that I couldn't really see it. A 1/3 ct diamond would have been huge beside it. It wasn't really that nice of a ring otherwise either. I'm sure that it was bought at a mall store or something like one. I'm pretty that sure she never heard of pricescope. And her ring wasn't anything like the ERD cushion halo engagement rings that I've learned in my time here are my personal favorite ones to look at.

But you know what, her ring made *her* happy, and my compliment made her happy, and that's really all that matters.
1.gif

Maryww

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/16/2008 4:35:33 AM
Author: Imdanny
I have a story like that actually. I noticed that the teller at my bank was wearing an engagement ring. I complimented her on it and she held out her hand and admired it while telling me that she and her husband couldn''t afford it when they got married and had only recently purchased it. She was delighted!

To be honest, the diamond was so small that I couldn''t really see it. A 1/3 ct diamond would have been huge beside it. It wasn''t really that nice of a ring otherwise either. I''m sure that it was bought at a mall store or something like one. I''m pretty that sure she never heard of pricescope. And her ring wasn''t anything like the ERD cushion halo engagement rings that I''ve learned in my time here are my personal favorite ones to look at.

But you know what, her ring made *her* happy, and my compliment made her happy, and that''s really all that matters.
1.gif
And it''s probably the best her and her husband could afford. Lots of us can''t shell out for 3-4 carat diamonds, even if we are PSers.
It''s nice to get compliments even if our stones are small.
19.gif

diamond_lover1

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:53:27 PM
Author:Lane
Hi all,

The other day I found myself running a bunch of errands and popping in and out of various stores, and a number of sales peoples'' rings caught my attention! I never usually do this, but I decided to tell each one how beautiful they looked. After a few ''Wow, your ring just looks fabulous'', I left the stores smiling, and it really made my afternoon. One woman stopped everything she was doing and told me the whole story of how she chose her setting, etc., and I found myself wondering if I''d discovered another secret PS''er... hee hee. Does anyone else ever find themselves commenting on others'' rings? Cheers to random acts of kindness!
I work in a busy physician''s office where 95% of our patients are women and the first thing we do is look at their rings. If they have a knock-out diamond and they seem friendly I''ll comment on it, I cant help it, i LOVE diamonds and always want a closer look! I''ve never had any woman act offended that I mentioned it, I think they''re probably flattered. I know I am when someone comments on MY jewelry.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I too am an avid complimenter of random people''s rings :) There have been many salesgirls that I''ve complimented, and the occassional stranger too :) It really does brighten one''s day!

Yesterday I was at the Clinique counter at Lord & Taylor buying some face scrub, and the saleslady gave me a compliment on my engagement ring - it was such a nice feeling! Since I have a simple solitaire the ring doesn''t normally get many second looks, but she commented on how sparkly it was - I guess that a good cut really stands out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results