shape
carat
color
clarity

radioactive zircons

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gaby77

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

So, I fell in love with this light blue zircon solitaire with white zircon paves set in rose gold ring and ordered it. Received it and really love it, however, I admit to being a bit of a hypochondriac and while reasearching another gem, came across an article that stated that most zircons are radioactive.

Suffice it to say that I''ve started developing "symptoms" and am now completely over the cliff thinking that I''m being poisened by my own ring. Now, most would think that this would be enough for me to simply return the ring and be done with it. Buuuuutttttt...... I REALLY LOVE this ring and am wondering (hoping) that there is no truth to this whole radioactive zircon gem business and that I, in fact, have a touch of the flu (or perhaps the crazies?!?!?).

Anyone??

Thanks in advance! Gaby
7.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I highly doubt the small amount of radiation from a zircon would be enough to cause radiation sickness! Check out this page - there''s a table just over halfway down that shows how much radiation a zircon emits and also lists the maximum yearly dose of radiation allowable for adults. Even continuously holding a very large (1 kg!) zircon in your hand for a year would not come close to the maximum allowable radiation dose for adults. If you''re worried about anything else regarding your symptoms, see your doctor, but rest assured that radiation from your zircon is not the cause.

gaby77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. Yes. I guess that information does put it into perspective.

Gaby
36.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
In the world of zircon, it is green zircon that is most notable for its radioactivity. Over a long period of time, radioactive uranium and thorium actually destroy the crystal structure of these zircons, in a process known as metamictization. Some samples still exhibit low levels of radiation. They are very popular with collectors, particularly those not planning to have children.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 8:33:49 AM
Author: morecarats
In the world of zircon, it is green zircon that is most notable for its radioactivity. Over a long period of time, radioactive uranium and thorium actually destroy the crystal structure of these zircons, in a process known as metamictization. Some samples still exhibit low levels of radiation. They are very popular with collectors, particularly those not planning to have children.
because it can cause a third eye? (I would say a third leg men already have one of those.)

-A

glitterkitter

Rough_Rock
I''ve read this before to, and zircon being one of my favorite stones I don''t think you have anything to worry about like the others have stated. They are very beautiful stones and other then pink blue is my favorite!
1.gif
Is there a link to your ring here? I would love to see it.

and I must add that was very cute Arcadian!
2.gif
LOL!
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK there is radiation and radiation. When I was working at my Ph.D. we worked with radioactive markers and they did accumulate especially in the thyroid (it must have been iodine) and around the finger joints (these were the places we checked) but I had minimal exposure. People who had much more, to my knowledge, had normal children (I saw the kids - no third eye or ears!).

If you are concerned, google radioactivity. I think each hospital has to have a Geiger counter - just walk in and ask to check your ring. I don''t know if current regulations require jewellers to have them, but it, too, would seem logical. I''d call GIA and ask this question.

In fact, any fire station should have at least one Geiger counter in case of a nuclear attack.

If your stone is not radioactive it is safe. If you wore it and there is no radioactivity measured at different areas of your body - you are safe, too, because with time the stone emits less and less.

Personally I think our use of cell phones is potentially more dangerous than irradiated gems, unless you decided to make a plutonium ring.
When I read about irradiated topazes and tourmalines my concern was totally different - I just wondered how the color would change when the half-decay perioud would be over.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you have more to worry about with your zircon....cosmic radiation and naturally occuring radiation in the ground more so than your stone...heck just flying in an airplane exposes you to the most radiation(cosmic)..a pregnant stewardess that flys 100 hours in the air excedes the safe levels for radition to her fetus...and not sure but if i remember flying from LA to New York is akin to getting an x-ray at the doctors office or something..so to put things in perspective just remember next time you fly you will be getting more radiation in one trip than your zircon will dish out...ever

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats true amguy. Everything I''ve read is that most of the green zircons out in the market place are inert. Thats not to say some ARENT slightly radioactive but probably not enough to be dangerous.

-A

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
whoops..i left out "than" in my "you have more to worry about than your zircon"..sorry

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2010 1:11:13 AM
Author: amethystguy
you have more to worry about with your zircon....cosmic radiation and naturally occuring radiation in the ground more so than your stone...heck just flying in an airplane exposes you to the most radiation(cosmic)..a pregnant stewardess that flys 100 hours in the air excedes the safe levels for radition to her fetus...and not sure but if i remember flying from LA to New York is akin to getting an x-ray at the doctors office or something..so to put things in perspective just remember next time you fly you will be getting more radiation in one trip than your zircon will dish out...ever

Shoot, amguy, and I fly from US to Europe and back several times a year! What did Ecclesiastes say?
Something along the line of knowledge deepening sadness?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL....crasaru....could you take a couple of my topaz''s along with you next time...i need some irridation done...LOL

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 12:36:00 AM
Author: amethystguy
LOL....crasaru....could you take a couple of my topaz''s along with you next time...i need some irridation done...LOL

Yes, and some of your paraibas, and amethysts, too. Hey, bring all your shop! I''ll take it all!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results