shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathyms3150

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ll be getting engaged for Christmas. I love the radiant cut diamond. Could you tell me if this cut is more expensive than the round brilliant cut? Thanks. Kathy

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kathy,

Welcome to PriceScope!

Have you tried doing a search for Radiants and RB under the "Search and compare diamonds" section above? I think that is a good way to compare pricing. The prices are what internet vendors are asking, and you will pay a bit more at a bricks and mortar store. There are advantages to buying either way.

I have a Radiant that cost approximately the same as a well cut RB in the same color, size and clarity range. Fancy cut diamonds are a bit trickier to find since there is no standard on them. In my Radiant search I saw everything from Emerald cuts with a few extra facets to cut corner Princesses, all being described as Radiant. So you really want to see them in person to make your final decision.

Have fun in your search!
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Fancy cut stones SHOULD be less expensive than a well cut RB, BUT finding a well cut fancy is VERY tough!!! So to get one well cut may cost about the same as a well cut RB, based solely on the fact that they are more rare....

I totally agreee with Icelady. Radiants are a tough breed to find, but once you find a well cut one (also hard to find), I don't think anyone can say that sucker doesn't sparkle!

Try places that sell Original Radiant cuts (www.radiantcut.com), and they will most likely have the best cut stones out there...THEN take a look at the generic cuts, and see which appeals to you more. It's a very personal choice, as many people like the cut corner princess stones, and some like the cracked ice look of the original radiants.

In my opinion, searching for this stone for months in the diamond district, I noticed that the generic stones tended to be cut either very deep, like a princess stone, or cut with a huge table, and lack sparkle. The only ones I found that had a good table and depth ratio where the Original cuts, but there were some outlier stones that where generic, deep cut, or large tabled, that still had some sparkle and personality.

NOT A STONE TO BUY ONLINE. You really DO need to see them to love them. Good luck and hope you find the stone of your dreams!!!
love.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
I would say that it would depend upon the quality of each diamond. However, round brilliants are generally more expensive when compared to fancy shaped diamonds.

1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Josh-
As a rule, Round Brilliant is the most expensive, aside from "branded" stones.

I must disagree with nicrez.
Although there is a "Branded" radiant cut diamond- it is not the same situation as say- a Regent Cut. The reason- the Radiant Cut brand is
a) in far greater proiduction and demand
b) the creators of the cut never tried to "protect" it- or prevent other cutters from interpreting the cut. This allowed a much greater popularity for Radiant cuts.
Therefore, you will find a wide variety of stones which can be classified as "radiant"
The fact other cutters make radiant diamonds does another thing- keeps prices far more in line as compared to a protected brand- like the Regent.

The "Radiant Cut" website does have a function to assist the consumer in finding a retail jeweler which carries the "original"

Bringing us to my second point of disagreement. Buying online:
If the consumer needs to go to a store ( totally understandable) they will pay more than they would from the better internet sellers.

It certainly IS possible to buy a radiant cut diamond online. As with any other diamond extreme caution must be excersised.
But the nature of a particular radiant cut CAN be represented photographically.

504h.JPG

Here's a stone, non branded- with a sublime cut- simply awesome, and as good as any branded stone- and I believe these photos give you a very good idea of the nature of the diamond.
In terms of price: This 5.04 J/VS1 diamond was purchased at a retail B/M store for 50K- The buyer likely would have saved about 10K if she'd found the right internet seller.
This is also a good example of how a non brnded stone can compare in terms of cut with the original.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
As much as I love David's Diamonds, I still have to say that most Radiants can actually be easier to determine quality if you just go and see them.

Not too many people live near diamond districts, so it's tough. Depending on your quality level, I think buying on-line can be OK. You just have to worry about REALLY trusting the person selling you the stone to accurately represent it in pictures, and in their professional opinion (being honest and all) is it worth the purchase?

Personally, I tried to see a stone by numbers, on-line, and it was absolutely useless until I actually SAW the stones. I actually ordered one from an online place, and had it taken to an appraiser to SEE it before I paid in full...THANK GOD I SAW IT! By numbers it was the best, but it was AWFUL! Shaped stones REALLY are tricky!
naughty.gif

Branded stones will be more expensive, so The Original Radiants are priced higher, but in turn are cut to a strict standard, unlike the generic brands. Since it is generic, there IS no standard, so a cutter in Belgium, and a cutter in Israel will not likely use the same ratio for beauty on a similar size stone... One will like a deep stone, one will like a shallow one... you'll notice some seriously different depths and tables in the generics, and the search for a shallower, high crowned stone will be absolutely frustrating in the generic stones... I know!
rolleyes.gif

Pictures are not always accurate, and neither is store lighting! Make sure to see the stone in all types of settings, like out of the case, in the shadow, ask to see it outside or near sunlight if possible. So much to consider with this stone, but again, it all depends on how much of a stickler you are on the grade and quality of the stone, so read up, learn, and go out there and find something you just can't help but take home!
love.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Nicrez- Thanks for the nice words.
We agree on this- ANY diamond is better chosen in person. There's just no question about that.
But as you've also pointed out, many folks do not live in an area where they can easily see the stones in person- that, and the price differential are why internet diamond sales continue to grow, while sales at the stores are lackluster.
So while it's better to choose in person, buying online offers a lot of advantages too.
Growth of internet sales has lead to things like the IdealScope, and the HCA. THese are attempts at "quantifying" the quality of a diamond- including the elusive "cut"
My feeling has always been that consumers are best off putting their efforts into choosing the right dealer.
Nicrez- in terms of price Original Radiant cuts are not going to automatically be more money than a well cut stone which is not the "original". Because the originator of the cut, ( Henry Grossbard) never tried to "protect" it, many other factories produce radiant cut diamonds. Truthfully, not many cutters produce as nice a product as the original- but when they do, the cost is usually pretty close to the branded stone- if not more.

stojack

Rough_Rock
I''ve been reading your posts and was wondering if you could give me your opinion on this stone. I''m weary from the search...
thanks, marianne
Date: 10/14/2004 4:44:44 PM
Author: Nicrez
As much as I love David''s Diamonds, I still have to say that most Radiants can actually be easier to determine quality if you just go and see them.

Not too many people live near diamond districts, so it''s tough. Depending on your quality level, I think buying on-line can be OK. You just have to worry about REALLY trusting the person selling you the stone to accurately represent it in pictures, and in their professional opinion (being honest and all) is it worth the purchase?

Personally, I tried to see a stone by numbers, on-line, and it was absolutely useless until I actually SAW the stones. I actually ordered one from an online place, and had it taken to an appraiser to SEE it before I paid in full...THANK GOD I SAW IT! By numbers it was the best, but it was AWFUL! Shaped stones REALLY are tricky!
naughty.gif

Branded stones will be more expensive, so The Original Radiants are priced higher, but in turn are cut to a strict standard, unlike the generic brands. Since it is generic, there IS no standard, so a cutter in Belgium, and a cutter in Israel will not likely use the same ratio for beauty on a similar size stone... One will like a deep stone, one will like a shallow one... you''ll notice some seriously different depths and tables in the generics, and the search for a shallower, high crowned stone will be absolutely frustrating in the generic stones... I know!
rolleyes.gif

Pictures are not always accurate, and neither is store lighting! Make sure to see the stone in all types of settings, like out of the case, in the shadow, ask to see it outside or near sunlight if possible. So much to consider with this stone, but again, it all depends on how much of a stickler you are on the grade and quality of the stone, so read up, learn, and go out there and find something you just can''t help but take home!
love.gif

http://www.diamond.com/diamond_details.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results