shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant Cut - Help/Comments Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

needshelpindecember

Rough_Rock

An comments on the following stone. What grade of a cut would this be considered?

Cut: Radiant
Carat: 3.35
Color: D
Clarity VS2
Depth: 69%
Table: 73%
Pol / Sym: Good & Good
Extra Thin to Thick
Length-Width: 1.25
No Flouresence

Is the table too big?

Thank you...any help provided is appreciated.

Ring121305v2.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hard to say would be seeking an espert appraisers opinion before laying out any money.

Genuine vendors will ship to respected appraisers and you need not even be in the same place as them.

Look in the section in the upper left - rescources.

You have not even mentioned if the stone is graded by an independant lab.
And it is hgard to tell much with even complete crown and pavilion data.

I do not like the thin girdle though.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that is the diamond it is a FIRECRACKER!
36.gif
36.gif
Don't know about the numbers as I am not good with radiants, but that is a beautiful diamond
3.gif
Garry will be able to clarify more, but a thin girdle CAN mean the diamond is more prone to chipping but see what the experts say, it might not be a cause for concern
34.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If this is the same diamond you''ve been posting about, I would still pass on it. It has a distinct dark area in the middle. Maybe that''s being caused by the large table. On the other hand, since it''s rectangular, maybe that''s just a bowtie that''s present in rectangular stones. Either way, I think you can do better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean Coda, but I love the firey colours it's shooting off
30.gif
30.gif
Have you already purchased this diamond as it is set? If you have already purchased it and have no wish to return it, then enjoy it, it is a huge and beautiful rock to my eyes! If not then consider the advice you get carefully and your options but if you love it then thats all that matters.
35.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, if you're interested in purchasing online, here's one to check out:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=16966708&flag=ps

It's very reasonably priced for a diamond of this size. It's very possible that since it's an SI2 that it won't be eyeclean, but you can always have the vendor call it in for you and check it out. Since it's a virtual stone, it's listed with many vendors, and you can choose which one you're most comfortable with. I just chose the cheapest listing.

ETA: I see that I didn't really answer your original question. If you're asking about the AGA cut grade, this would probably be considered a 3A which is an average cut stone. Since radiants aren't naturally as sparkly as rounds, I would try to shoot for the highest grade possible. The one I posted above is a 1B if the crown height is good.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one might be worth further investigation Coda
36.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 8:05:52 AM
Author: Lorelei
I see what you mean Coda, but I love the firey colours it''s shooting off
30.gif
30.gif
Have you already purchased this diamond as it is set? If you have already purchased it and have no wish to return it, then enjoy it, it is a huge and beautiful rock to my eyes! If not then consider the advice you get carefully and your options but if you love it then thats all that matters.
35.gif

Lorelei, I know it has fiery colors, but it will probably look dark in the middle in most lighting conditions. My stone never looks dark in the middle. Now if that doesn''t bother the OP, that''s fine. I just am trying to get people to buy the best radiants possible since it is so hard to get a good one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean Coda, it might be the pic that is making the diamond look so firey, but as you say in other lights it may look different again. You do a good job too with helping folk with these
36.gif
36.gif

needshelpindecember

Rough_Rock
Thank to all. Almost all of the radiants I have seen and many of the ones pictured as "examples" on websites have a round area in the middle which sparkles less.

Won''t all radiants have some dark circle spot in the middle? What are the most desired table sizes and does this change based on length-width ratio and/or dept?

Thank you all...just trying to get educated. Any tools I should buy to evaluate?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen about ten radiants in person, and the only ones that had a dark area in the center were the ones that aren''t well-cut. Radiant are best judged in person, even pictures can be deceiving. Have you seen the one in person that you''re looking at, or just a picture? Radiants don''t always photograph well, so seeing them in person is best. If you want to see the best cut radiants, go to radiantcut.com. On this site, you can find vendors of Original Radiant Cuts. If you go to one of these vendors in your area, you will see the best cut radiants.

Generic radiants can also be beautiful, but it is hard to find good ones. You can find good ones that fall outside of the accepted guidelines, but if you''re buying online, the only resource you have for narrowing down the selection is to use the numbers. I advise using the AGA charts, and for me I like to keep both depth and table in the mid 60''s with the table slightly smaller. These diamonds can be like needles in haystacks to find, but if you''re patient and have time to wait, eventually one will pop up. I found a 1A, and it''s just gorgeous. Firerock (another radiant owner on here) has the most beautiful radiant I''ve ever seen, and hers is also a 1A.

Now keep in mind, this is just my method of finding a radiant; many people will tell you not to use numbers to buy these stones. You can use whichever method you like to finding a good one, as long as it''s beautiful to you is all that matters.

needshelpindecember

Rough_Rock
Continued thanks. Is the biggest issue with this stone the size of the table?

The center does not look dark, just not as firey as the outer edges and you can see a "circle" in the middle. The outer edges have lots of fire.

By the pictures listed on Original Radiant Cut website it looks like all radiants have a noticable center in the middle that is not as fiery.

Thoughts?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
If you''ve seen the diamond and like it, who am I to say not to get it. If you like the looks of it, the numbers don''t matter. Now if you want to know if the cost you paid is in line with other radiants of similar cut, that''s something different altogether.

As far as the dark area in the center, I just went to radiantcut.com to refresh my memory about the pictures. The only one where I saw the circle is the one that''s in the corner of every page. They had other pictures of radiants on there that showed no circle at all. I know that the only time my radiant has that circle look is in direct sunlight. The rest of the time it''s just a completely disorganized sparkle and no darkness in the center.

As I said it''s entirely up to you. If you like the diamond, and the price is right, that''s all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results