shape
carat
color
clarity

Quiet forum?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl, I think at the time it might not have been obvious that you were referring to a specific area.

Yeah, I never got the shot but I also wasn’t trying to convince other people not to get it. So on one hand I wasn’t harassing anyone but I had to read that I should be denied medical care if I got sick, lose my job, lose my kids etc so it was a lot, and this was on a jewelry forum of all things.

Hey, all we can do is try to be a better version of ourselves with each day, I know I am a constant work in progress and I’m sure I have said things here I wish I didn’t, it’s just part of being human.

I do wish you all the best on your jewelry project!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am sharing my observations from that thread. I don’t see any party as the innocent party. We’re all responsible for our actions.

That’s fair. We’re all different. Personally I don’t blame someone for hitting back.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@chemgirl, I think at the time it might not have been obvious that you were referring to a specific area.

Yeah, I never got the shot but I also wasn’t trying to convince other people not to get it. So on one hand I wasn’t harassing anyone but I had to read that I should be denied medical care if I got sick, lose my job, lose my kids etc so it was a lot, and this was on a jewelry forum of all things.

Hey, all we can do is try to be a better version of ourselves with each day, I know I am a constant work in progress and I’m sure I have said things here I wish I didn’t, it’s just part of being human.

I’m sorry that I contributed to that. You’re right, I know that I didn’t make any kind of distinction in my statements at the time. I was extremely frustrated and spoke without thinking. Totally uncalled for.

Definitely a learning experience.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

This is what I see as a problem. People take comments personally, when they are meant generally. Are we not allowed to make comments about sensitive subjects without always thinking its an attack on us personally. We lost a young girl-packrat- yrs ago because during our threads on law enforcement and police brutality she felt the comments, personally, as her husband is a police officer. No one meant them personally, and most of us felt we were speaking the truth. I personally won't talk education any more, and I do care, because the teachers are offended. If I say something about Drs. everyone comes to their defense. I don't know how you get around the way human beings react.

I regard bullying as bullying when people can't let go in a disagreement. Have your say, and that should be it. The pandemic was different. One person can affect many.(I'm done)

I have a dilemma now. What if a person has said something to an individual that has caused hurt, but is true. The PS group has supported the injured party, but non=the=less there was or is some truth in what was said. I could back up the hurtful statement, but I probably won't because I don't want everyone to hate me either, but.....

I try to not take things personally. Its easier that way.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got pretty thick skin.

It's nice.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@smitcompton, so are you saying that someone should be able to call a certain group of people whatever they want and that shouldn’t be taken personally? That seems a slippery slope, don’t you think?

IMO people need to be accountable for what they say on a public forum, it’s not enough to say that people shouldn’t take things meant generally as personal insults.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but as an example, calling someone (or a group) a racist either directly or indirectly, whether meant as a personal insult or generally, is NOT okay. It is not a matter of having a thicker skin, it’s a matter of people not weaponizing words during heated discussions. So if I had taken the absolutely vile things that were said about a group (that I was in at the time) personally and ended my own life, I should have had a thicker skin?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But, without mind-reading technology, a writer's intent cannot always be determined.
If you have a conflicting perspective it's easy to mistakenly """""determine""""" the writer's intent. :naughty:

Let's say I post, "I love my hybrid car and driving as a hyper miler to get there on minimum gas, not in minimum time."
The SUVers and PickUp Truckers reading this may get offended, defensive and read into my words an insult.
It's not hard to see how, in their minds, they could surmise I intended to insult them, even though just stated facts regarding my preferences.
They could use thicker skin.

We can't control others.
But we can control how we react to them.

Don't let people push your buttons.
After all, they're your buttons.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually tell my kids that all the time, we can’t control others, but we can control how we react to them.

It‘s sometimes easier said than done, but I am working on it.

Good points @kenny

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have come to believe there is always a slippery slope. I think Im speaking about how to protect yourself on a forum such as this. How do you make people accountable?. We have a few ways here. Others tell is we have crossed a line or report to Admin. I think you may be expecting too much. I have found that leaving the thread is good for me. Scrolling past works for some. Its not personal works for some others. Who cares about people on the internet works for some. You have to find your way.

People are mean at times, people don't think about what they are saying and how it may effect others. All true. But you will find others that like you and you like back. I think thats what most of us do. Take what you need and leave the rest.

Annette

Bedazzled748

Rough_Rock
@smitcompton, so are you saying that someone should be able to call a certain group of people whatever they want and that shouldn’t be taken personally? That seems a slippery slope, don’t you think?

IMO people need to be accountable for what they say on a public forum, it’s not enough to say that people shouldn’t take things meant generally as personal insults.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but as an example, calling someone (or a group) a racist either directly or indirectly, whether meant as a personal insult or generally, is NOT okay. It is not a matter of having a thicker skin, it’s a matter of people not weaponizing words during heated discussions. So if I had taken the absolutely vile things that were said about a group (that I was in at the time) personally and ended my own life, I should have had a thicker skin?

So does that mean that you should be held accountable for the things you say about numerous people on this site? It works both ways.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So does that mean that you should be held accountable for the things you say about numerous people on this site? It works both ways.

Yes

ETA: You have ONE post so did you just make this profile to anonymously stir the pot? If you are going to call me out on something I have publicly written here, at least have the guts to not hide behind an account you just made.

Looking at your profile “Joined 14 minutes ago“ :lol:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: You have ONE post so did you just make this profile to anonymously stir the pot? If you are going to call me out on something I have publicly written here, at least have the guts to not hide behind an account you just made.

I noticed that too, so I reported the post.
Hopefully Ella will deliver some corporal punishment. :lol-2:

Last edited:

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
If you've done nothing wrong, you should have no need to defend yourself. If someone tells you they're hurt you should explore whether you have culpability. If you have culpability, you can apologize without taking blame. If you have no stake in their hurt, you can still be sorry they're hurt.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just looking into who Salvator Rosa was and I can’t figure it out either :read:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Latin make it extra true, like when stuff rhymes?

So you think everyone here reads Latin?

And wouldn't that translate into English as, "is better" rather than "be better"?

But I get it; the gist is a good sentiment. ::)

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
So you think everyone here reads Latin?
No, but everyone can use a search engine...

And wouldn't that translate into English as, "is better" rather than "be better"?
Well, my Latin is extremely vague, but I'd take 'loquere' as imperative. Literally: 'Either be silent or speak [= 'say something'] better than silence.'
Translation often requires a bit of grammatical adjustment to make smooth English.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my Latin is extremely vague, but I'd take 'loquere' as imperative. Literally: 'Either be silent or speak [= 'say something'] better than silence.'
Translation often requires a bit of grammatical adjustment to make smooth English.

I've seen the failure of adjustment make some humorous outcomes

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, but everyone can use a search engine...

Sure.

But I'd never be so annoying as to expect others waste their time when I can save them the hassle by just presenting content in the dominate language of the forum.
If some image contained another language, I'd present the translation.

BTW, the problem here is not you.
It's me and you.
The combination of what you posted and my history, for this particular thread, was unfortunate.

I also frequent a forum where one member often posts things in Latin to show off.
He also has posted a jpeg of his 45 yr old student ID card from Vasser. :roll:

Of course I have not mistaken you for him, but this is an example of the hybrid vs. SUV thingie I brought up in post #98 above.

It takes two to tango, but also to communicate ... sometimes. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the essence of that is, meaning vs. usage.
Just because a word translates to X does not mean X is used in the other language the same way it's used in English.

For example when I call speakers of Spanish they answer the phone, "Bueno".
Bueno translated to English means Good, not Hello.
When an English speaking American answers the phone they say, "Hello", not "Good".
So why do Spanish speakers answer their phones with Bueno?

Answer: it's about usage, which is in addition to meaning.
Good is short for Good Day, and Good Evening - translation: Buenos Dias, and Buenos Noches.
So it's understandable to use the single word 'good' as a shortcut for (and frankly a more polite greeting than) Hello.

BTW, Spanish does have a word for Hello; it is Hola.
But Hola's not usually used when answering the phone - rather it's used when greeting someone in person. (At least to my understanding of Spanish, which is quite rudimentary)

Meaning vs. Usage!

I'm surprised that I've never heard anything about this significant and very important distinction.
I think teachers pointing this out would help students quite a bit.

In three years of High School Spanish I never heard a peep about it.
The topic first dawned on me in the 1970s when, in the military and traveling around Europe on trains.
I carried my pocket French, Spanish, German, and Portuguese dictionaries.
Before getting in line at a train station I looked up every word and wrote my questions down.
So I was sure I was saying the right words.
The meaning vs. usage thing had not dawned on me yet - my teacher Mr. Martinez blew it.

At the time I had no idea why, but Boy! did I generate some roaring laughter in Europe - from both the clerks and the natives behind me in line.
But in every instance when I made an honest effort in the local language people really opened up with kindness, and usually with English better than mine.

Last edited:

Bedazzled748

Rough_Rock
Yes

What makes you think this isn’t an alternative account I created so you wouldn’t know who I am? Maybe you shouldn’t publicly write certain things that can hurt people. You are just as guilty as the people you are calling out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results