shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions to ask Diamond Store, such as Graff, HW, etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, even though I''ve been a lurker for quite some time. You all give such wonderful advice, and I''m hoping you can help me.

My boyfriend and I are going to start shopping for my engagement ring soon. I''m very practical with money and I''ve told him I''d rather he purchase it from a dealer like Whiteflash or Engagement Rings Direct. But he insists we at least go to check out Graff and Harry Winston first just for fun. We live in Manhattan so this is easy for us to do.

So my question to you is: What types of questions should we ask when we go? Do we just tell them the carat size we''re interested in and let them start showing us rings? Can I ask for an idealscope image, or is this something that stores don''t really do? Beyond inquiring about the 4Cs, can we ask about the depth, pavilion, etc.?

My goal is not to look like too much of a novice here. My boyfriend has generously given me a pretty sizable amount to work with, yet since I know I want a large stone, I''d much rather get it from Mark Turnowski than a high mark-up store where we''d be paying the same amount for a much smaller stone. But at the same time I don''t want to look idiotic when we go there.

Thanks so much in advance!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would make an appointment with Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings direct; they have stores in NY.

You can buy an idealscope and take it with you. I would write down info from the certificates if you are shopping for a round, such as
Depth %, Table % , Crown Angle %, Pavilion angle %, and cutlet %, price, carat weight, clarity and color if you want help from people on this site. Also, this thread maybe helpful https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-day-at-tiffanys-with-the-i-scope.69733/ Also, read the Pricescope tutorials too!

This link will show you know where to pull the numbers or even print it when you go so you know where to look for the numbers on the cert. http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
First off, congratualtions on your engagement. I would think about what shape(s) you like. given that, make sure you know what "idea" proportions depth, table, etc so you could ask what those are. If you are going to a high end jeweler, I wouldn''t fixate on the certifications.

good luck

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

To add to what the Skipsters has said, you might enjoy reading the advanced tutorial if you have time, that way you will get a good grounding in the basics and cut, this should arm you with greater confidence when you go a looking!! Above all have fun shopping and comparing!! http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results