shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions/Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pondracer

Rough_Rock
I am purchasing a ring for my wife sometime over the next month or so. Originally I wanted to do this by Xmas but I don''t want to push it. I have not purchased a diamond before, but I have spent several weeks studying the methods of stone appraisal and the market. My personal inclination is to purchase the ring online. I''ve made other purchases such as cars online and am quite comfortable with this type of transaction. The nature of purchasing jewelry is different though, and I have a few concerns. Additionally my wife seems to hate the idea, but her natural desire to save money may be enough to win her over
21.gif

Originally I had wanted to spend around $2500 last year for a ring when we were married, but she was not enthusiastic about spending that amount of money. We decided to wait, save, and purchase something nicer at a later time. We wanted to pay cash comfortably and not have to finance. Presently we have a budget of around $6k and I can comfortably spend up to $8k if I can find something that amazes us. This should be the total purchase price for everything including the setting. I am considering either a solitaire or 3 stone ring.

The look is very important. I have seen stones that have a deep flash and sparkle and I would very much like the same for my wife''s ring. I am concerned with this part of the online purchase. Sight unseen and with my limited experience I feel it will be difficult to guarantee that I have made a good choice.

The setting is important as well. I want something that will be sturdy but does not completely hide the stone. My wife is a bit dangerous with loose items
36.gif
, for example she hasn''t been able to find her keys for the last 3 days. We lose things weekly so it MUST be insured adequately.

One other quirk. My wife is an attorney and practices in both the US and PRC, she is native Chinese. She was pushing to buy in Hong Kong because she believes the deals are better there. But while I am comfortable buying online I would find it very hard to be comfortable in Hong Kong.

Thoughts?

Jeff G.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what shape of stone are you wanting?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
dont forget www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com. they are one of the vendors who actually grade cut so that is very helpful PLUS their prices are among the very best online

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff G

i think diamonds are a much better buy in the U.S. than H.K., plus the vendors in h.k. will push you to buy d-e vvs kind of stone and they don''t care about cuts.with the budget of 6k-8k you should be able to buy a nice ideal cut in the 1.25 ct range....g-h vs2-si1 ags or gia cert.check with vendors here on p.s.

Pondracer

Rough_Rock
hi belle, I am thinking of either a H&A or asscher. She seems to like the square cuts but I do not want a Princess.

Annie''s only preference seems to be that it have ''other shiny stones on the ring''. I swear to you. I have such a great wife, she rarely spends money on anything but she wants a nice ring. The three stone setting may give way to something like a channel setting but it should be comfortable.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
pondracer, have you looked at the jubilee cut? it's a square (nice alternative to princess) that has the flashy optics of a rb. jonathan has lots of info on his website about them. take a look:

www.goodoldgold.com/jubilee.htm

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I also bought on line (Whiteflash, Blue Nile, Cherrypicked, etc) and recommend it.

As for web sites to browse don't forget Wink!

Also - just for the heck of it - I see you are in Chicago. You may wish to set up an local appointment with THIS GUY he is frequently mentioned in Chicago.

Also wherever you buy - internet or local - don't forget to get an independent appraiser to confirm/check your purchase.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
No *real* Chinese woman dismisses fine jewelry. It''s in our blood.
31.gif

Definitely don''t buy in HK. None of my native HK friends would dream of buying jewelry there outside of very specific shops they trust, and then you''re not going to get much of a bargain over what you''d get here.

Do check out all the square cuts on Good Gold Old. I think you''ll be impressed at how many nice square non-princesses there are out there.

Pondracer

Rough_Rock
I did like the Jubilee style when I looked at it earlier. I was uncertain of what it would look like in real life and whether it would have the sparkle and depth that I like.

I am very tempted to contact the store in Chicago that you recommended (Dimend Scaasi), but the tax issue tends to hold me back. I could always turn my wife loose on him for negotiation.... she''s brutal.
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your budget will accomodate a nice stone. if she likes the sparkle, you may want to go with something other than an asscher. it is an amazing, mesmerizing cut, but it''s different from a rb in terms of flash. the jubille is a nice combo of square & sparkle, but if you don''t think you would like it, i think your decision for now is whether to go mesmerizing square or round sparkle!! good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results