shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions for the enlightened

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

satriani

Rough_Rock
A couple of questions for you guys and gals:

I''m leaning towards a three-stone engagement ring. What''s your opinion on having the sidestones one color grade lower than the center stone? With the center being and F color H&A and the sides a G-color H&A, both with similar light performance, would there be any discernable side-by-side difference in color once their mounted?

With regards to the setting itself, I''m pretty fond of a three-stone design by Michael Bondanza (Madison Three Stone setting), but it''s proving to be a real chore in both pricing and availability. Apparently, they a very particular about their vendors and are less than willing to discuss their products over the phone. There aren''t any vendors in my immediate area, and at nearly $2500 for the setting alone I''m a bit reluctant to fork over the cash without seeing it in person. If anyone has suggestions or recommendations on settings with similar design qualities I would certainly like to hear about them. I''ll try to post a photo so that you can get an idea of what I''m looking for. What I like best about the Bondanza design is that it''s very clean throughout, especially around the prongs. I like the fact that the diamonds appear suspended and follow the contour of the shank.

I''ve learned a ton from this forum (and GOG), so thanks in advance and I look forward to your replies.

satriani

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of the setting:

madison3stone.jpg

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you can go down depending on their size, and how they look to the eye. you do not want them in any way to detract from the center stone. Worse case, save til you can get the same quality in side stones and wear it as a solitaire? Just a thougt, an idea if money is tighter...then you can put even a bit more into the center stone!!!!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Way cool setting - but I would DEFiNITELY see that one in person. Lots of metal & very moderne in styling. The color difference in stones *should* be o.k. But, again you need to see this for yourself. A setting is very personal.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 10:39:13 AM
Author: fire&ice
Way cool setting - but I would DEFiNITELY see that one in person. Lots of metal & very moderne in styling. The color difference in stones *should* be o.k. But, again you need to see this for yourself. A setting is very personal.
I agree completely with fire&ice! See it for yourself, most likely you won''t see a difference in the color, but go see it first.

I LOVE that setting!!!
30.gif
30.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
You could ask a local jeweler to make something similar custom, but sometimes custom work can be frustrating if what you were envisioning isn''t what the jeweler comes up with.

If you buy it over the phone from a jeweler who sells them, perhaps they will have a return policy? I would definitely ask. That way, if you hate it, you can send it back before you set your stones in it.

I got the Vatche x-prong and never saw one in person until DH put it in my finger. I wasn''t disappointed in the least. A saleslady in the store where he had it set tried to tell him he had paid too much for the designer name and that their trellis settings were the same, but they weren''t at all. They didn''t have the sleek lines. I''m really glad I got it.

Or maybe you can spend $150 on a cheap last minute flight over the weekend, fly out to a dealer to see it, and then make your decision. If you plan it right, hopefully you wouldn''t even have to spend the night.

It really is a pretty setting. One thing to check out is if a wedding band sits flush with it, or if they make a band that fits to its contours, or if people generally wear it alone.

I personally wouldn''t hesitate to get G sidestones with an F center. Save a bit of your hard-earned moolah!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A grade of color difference won't be a problem. Be sure the UV fluorescence of the sides and the center diamond is negligible or at least all are similar. So if the center fluoresces some, then the sides should too. Keep them matched for all lighting conditions is what I am saying.

The mounting is pretty and looks solid like the Rock of Gibraltar. In platinum, it will be a weighty piece. The price is not cheap, but "artistes" "designers" can ask any price they wish. If people want an original, they put down their cash. I don't judge this, but just observe. There is no doubt that you could have a similar ring custom made and save some loot. You may or may not get exactly what you want when you attempt to copy an idea or a design. Somethimes an element gets lost in the process, so just be VERY cautious and review each step BEFORE the final ring is constructed. Don't do this over long distance, but do it with someone you can work with locally, if it is possible for you. Direct observation is critical to getting what you want.

Can you imagine selecting wallpaper from a little sample over a distance? It is just as complex to select a mounting or to make one to order over distance. Nothing substitutes for being in the process, live.

satriani

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. As usual, you have all been very helpful and given me some points to contemplate. And so the shopping continues...........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results