shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about purchasing from Whiteflash.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

J.A.F.O.

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

This is my first entry as I''m new to pricescope. I''ve been lurking around the boards reading various posts over the last few months and now I have a few questions of my own that I hope all of you can help me with. First of all, I''d like to say that this website has been a great learning tool for me as I knew nothing of diamonds before I found this site, so thanks to everybody for sharing your experiences and knowledge!

Over the past several months I have really started looking seriously for an ering. I have found a reputable jeweler in my area that carries the Jaffe line of rings which is what my girlfriend wants. The ME 1253 to be exact. The ring itself seems to be reasonably priced, but as usual, the diamonds are really high. They carry Hearts on Fire as well as some others and they are REALLY expensive. Since I have been on reading posts on pricescope and have done some homework on my own, I''ve learned that your money will go alot further if you buy a loose diamond from an online vendor which is what I plan to do. With that being said, I''ve made my mind that I''m going to buy a ACA diamond from WF and have it set in the ME 1253 Jaffe ring at the jeweler in town whom I mentioned earlier. I already called the jeweler and they said it wouldn''t be a problem and they would gladly do it. So..................

Question #1 : Who is good to deal with at Whiteflash? I know there are a few of them that post here on the boards and I''d like to get some contact information, etc..

Question #2 : Once I recieve the diamond should I get it appraised? I hear alot about this and really don''t understand why it''s done. Maybe to justify what your getting is correct?! Could somebody shed some light on this??

Question #3 : Are all diamonds marked? The reason I''m asking is because I want to make sure, for my own protection that the diamond I give to the jeweler is the same one that I get back in the setting!!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thankd!

Jim B.

Bakersfield, CA

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jim:

You can deal with anyone at Whitflash. All their reps are OK.

I am glad that the local jeweler has agreed to set the stone. That''s very big of them and not a lot will do that.

Some of the Whiteflash stones are marked. It should indicate so on the description on the web, or ask the whiteflash representative (I believe all ACA stones are). You won''t be able to see the marking with your naked eye.

Ask the jeweler to set the stone so that the marking can be read - if it is marked.

I suggest that you have the assembled ring independently apprased to ensure that the diamond was set right as well as establishing the value.

Please be sure to tell the jeweler you are doing this (they may be a bit more carefull with the setting).

I would first recommend one of the independent appraisers on this forum: RocDoc, Denver Appraiser, Richard Sherwood, Marty Haske, and Dave Atlas (old miner).

Be prepared to pay shipping and insurance to get the ring to them (and the jeweler may be willing to ship it for you).

Alternately, look for a good local independent appraiser. I am sure some exist in california. There is an appraiser''s link under the "resurces" button above. Others may be able to recommend one here.

Perry

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey j.a.f.o welcome to ps!
35.gif
i'm glad you've found such helpful information here!

first of all, as perry said, you can deal with anyone at wf. just give them a call everyone there is more than helpful.

as far as appraisal...if it were me, i would not worry about getting the stone appraised before setting. all aca's are graded by ags, which could be contended to be the strictest grading lab. you will get exactly what was described. if you choose to have the ring insured, you will have to have it appraised in the setting anyway. it should be noted that wf does send a letter of verification from an independent appraiser in houston. it is not an extensive work-up like some of the ps appraisers offer, but it works for most insurance purposes.

all aca's are inscribed 'a cut above' and the report #....you will have no trouble identifying your stone.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I dealt with Lesley at Whiteflash. The stone I was looking for was hard to find.
I said i waswilling to wait and Lesley found the perfect stone for me at far less than my budget.

Althoiugh it was a larege purchase (stone is 4.10, I SI2 Ideal cut} I found it very easy to deal wioth them. I had Whiteflash send the stpone directly to an approved appraiser who verified that it was a gorgeous stone and everything Whiteflash said was accurate. The appraiser then sent the stone back to Whiteflash for a Tiffany style setting with a custum basket made to fit the stone.

When the ring was ready, Brian sent me photos of the stone in the setting. We wired them the money and the ring arrived next morning by overnight Federal Expresss.
I did not have to pay for the ring until Whiteflash was ready to ship it. Whiteflash is easy to deal with and anxious to please their customers. Also, Brian who is a diamond cutter, will discuss the stone with you at length to make certain that it is exactly what you want. I recommend them without hesitation.

Also, Whiteflash has a discount for Pricescope customers and a 100% trade in policy if you want to upgrade. Not too many vendors offer this full price upgrade policy.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have been talking to John on here and Bob via e-mails and phone calls. I would say that Bob Hoskins is very efficent in both ways. If you are nervous I would say he is a fine man to speak with, though I dont think there is anyone at Whiteflash who would be bad to deal with.

J.A.F.O.

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your comments thus far. It sound like the peeps at WF really have it together and I can''t to do business with them. Another question: How long does it usually take to actually get the stone once I order it (from WF)?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are shipped overnight
36.gif

tyke

Rough_Rock
Hi Bob, one more endorsement for WF. I purchased a 1.33 round H&A set in platinum with a matching w-band from Lesley who was wondeful to work with. I could not have asked for a more pleasant experience. I think that those who have posted before me have answered all of your questions re inscription, appraisal, etc., and they gave you great advice. You should have no concerns in working with WF folks, they are first rate!

Tyke

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your future engagement! I worked with Lesley and a little bit with Denise at Whiteflash when I purchased my ACA diamond and setting and they were very helpful and knowledgable. I found a picture of your a jaffe ring. I love the surprise diamond! I''d be interested to hear what you think when you compare your A Cut Above Diamond with the Hearts of Fire in the store, the price and beauty! Good luck with your ring! We want pictures when it''s done!

AJAFFERING1.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh what a neat looking solitaire!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
To add to what has already been said, if you like, I would have WF send the stone to an independent appraiser before setting and purchasing, then when it looks good, they will send it back and you can finalize the details then with WF. Personally for me with any big purchase, regardless of vendor, I like having an appraiser look at it just for that 2nd opinion and also to see what an independent unbiased source says, it''s kind of fun. It''s also peace of mind and the appraisal can be used if you plan to get the stone insured.

Good luck!

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
1. They are all good to deal with. As was mentioned, you can have someone look at the stone for you. Brian, Bob or even JQ can do that for you. If you are a Dallas Cowboys fan you may wish to chat with Denise, although it''s too bad she can''t pick a winning team.

2. Whether or not to have it appraised is personal preference. As was stated you may wish to do it just for peace of mind. However you will generally have to get the finished ring appraised for insurance, which adds to expense. I no longer have loose stones appriased since I have purcahsed and seen enough of them to feel comfortable. If this is your first purchase, you may want to spend the $100 or so.

3. Only ACAs at WF are genreally laser inscribed, I believe. If you buy a VS2 or lower clarity stone, you can learn where they inclusions are to recognize your stone. In addition, have your jeweler show you the stone under a microscope together, so you can see it and recognize it. You can look at it again once mounted to feel more comfortable.

4. Shipping is next day fedex air to your closet fedex terminal. You will need to go and pick it up with picture ID. Again generally no exceptions to this unless you ask it sent to an approved independent appraiser.

Good luck

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2005 10:39:47 AM
Author: noobie
1. They are all good to deal with. As was mentioned, you can have someone look at the stone for you. Brian, Bob or even JQ can do that for you. If you are a Dallas Cowboys fan you may wish to chat with Denise, although it''s too bad she can''t pick a winning team.

Good luck
HAHA

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you get one of their inscribed stones and want to have it set so that the inscription can be seen you can do your jeweler a favor. Tell him that is what you want and ask him if he would mind showing you the inscription under the microscope. Then mark that portion of the girdle with a black majic marker. His jewelers will NOT be able to see the inscription and the marking comes off when the ring is cleaned and polished. If you make it easy for them to do for you the likelyhood of its getting done is greatly increased.

As has been repeatedly said above, all of the people there can take excellent care of you, you will be very happy with your new diamond.

Wink

J.A.F.O.

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/5/2005 11:16:37 PM
Author: Jelly
Congrats on your future engagement! I worked with Lesley and a little bit with Denise at Whiteflash when I purchased my ACA diamond and setting and they were very helpful and knowledgable. I found a picture of your a jaffe ring. I love the surprise diamond! I''d be interested to hear what you think when you compare your A Cut Above Diamond with the Hearts of Fire in the store, the price and beauty! Good luck with your ring! We want pictures when it''s done!
Yep, that''s the one!! I like it alot, and it seems more original than alot of others out there..
21.gif

EZ

Rough_Rock

In addition to everything said here already:

My FI wanted an appraisal of the loose stone so we worked with a guy that was willing to do an appraisal with a follow-up of the completed ring at no extra charge. (Stephen Turner of Gemcorp, Inc. in Atlanta, GA)

The Verification Letter sent by WF and the insurance appraisal were within about $255 of each other, iirc. The replacement value appraisal was about $3500 less than both of those and came in right at what I actually paid. I used that information so that I could add a Personal property rider to my insurance and save on the extra premium had I used the insurance value on the appraisal and LoV. (I have a replacement policy - why pay more when the insurance companny will only replace actual value? I just have to keep up on the current cost of diamonds and settings and adjust the insurance when needed.)

All ACA diamonds are laser inscribed and they will inscribe other diamonds on request for a fee.
I worked with both Jamie and Lesley - they were both great and very patient. I think you would be able to work with anyone who answered the phone there and not have a problem. They worked with me on extending the viewing/return period due to the nature of my LDR and that worked out great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results