shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about enclosed basket

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
So my jewelry is having an anniversary sale and makes me rethink a pair of earrings I tried before. The yellow diamonds are fancy light yellow set on an enclosed basket to make it look more yellow. I have concerns on the cleaning part. There is a small hole at the bottom but I am not sure how helpful it is when cleaning the earrings. Anyone has experience? TIA!

978892CF-C671-4D25-A8D6-67BA272818DA.jpeg FA40F70F-86C1-4DB8-B0C9-7E905F755782.jpeg

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
You should probably invest in a top of the range coffee machine with a milk frother, or buy a small but strong steam cleaner :)

So I guess it is probably very hard to clean it with brush or ultrasonic machine.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly they are easy to clean. Get a soft baby toothbrush and liquid dish soap. An ultrasonic cleaner will be ok as well but sometimes you need to get into little crevices and a toothbrush is really good.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly they are easy to clean. Get a soft baby toothbrush and liquid dish soap. An ultrasonic cleaner will be ok as well but sometimes you need to get into little crevices and a toothbrush is really good.

Why do you (and others) suggest soft toothbrushes?
Gems and metal can never be scratched by bristles???

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do you (and others) suggest soft toothbrushes?
Gems and metal can never be scratched by bristles???

Because the bristles are flexible and can get into tiny crevices. It’s not anything to do with scratching - it’s about cleaning thoroughly.

Some coloured gemstones you can’t put into an ultrasonic cleaner - especially ones that have some form of filling so if in doubt a toothbrush will give a good clean with minimum risk.

If you cleaned an Emerald or Tanzanite as you’ve described above you could well ruin them. Emeralds should be kept away from hot and cold water and Tanzanites suffer from thermal shock. Rubies that have been clarity enhanced can be ruined in an ultrasonic. So whilst your advice is good for diamonds, it’s not for coloured gemstones.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because the bristles are flexible and can get into tiny crevices. It’s not anything to do with scratching - it’s about cleaning thoroughly.

Some coloured gemstones you can’t put into an ultrasonic cleaner - especially ones that have some form of filling so if in doubt a toothbrush will give a good clean with minimum risk.

If you cleaned an Emerald or Tanzanite as you’ve described above you could well ruin them. Emeralds should be kept away from hot and cold water and Tanzanites suffer from thermal shock. Rubies that have been clarity enhanced can be ruined in an ultrasonic. So whilst your advice is good for diamonds, it’s not for coloured gemstones.
My advice was diamond specific.
Add tourmaline to heat shock list.
I have been cleaning jewels since before many people here were born.
Stiff bristles for all the things that can be cleaned in hot water because the bristles go soft.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Oops. I use a very soft toothbrush to clean my jewelry, mostly diamonds, and some sapphire and ruby. I thought they are strong enough. Oooooops.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops. I use a very soft toothbrush to clean my jewelry, mostly diamonds, and some sapphire and ruby. I thought they are strong enough. Oooooops.

They are! You’re not doing anything wrong x

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice was diamond specific.
Add tourmaline to heat shock list.
I have been cleaning jewels since before many people here were born.
Stiff bristles for all the things that can be cleaned in hot water because the bristles go soft.

I appreciate you were giving advice about diamonds but on a coloured stone forum advising to clean with boiling hot water (without specifically saying this is for diamonds only) might be misconstrued as a method for cleaning all stones. There’s a long long list of coloured stones that should never go near boiling water or an ultrasonic. I just picked a few as an example.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Cups for coloured diamonds are really common - and make a huge difference to the finished look. You’re right though it is a little more tricky to clean them. But diamonds tend to perform really well (assuming a good cut) even if they aren’t sparkling clean compared to many other coloured stones. Also I find earrings don’t tend to pick up the grime a ring does, unless I’m thoughtless and put them in before I’ve finished getting ready and stupidly spray them with perfume or hairspray (doh!).

I’ve got a small ultrasonic and I use it for my diamond pieces and some other “tougher” jewellery, it works particularly well with the items which are quite challenging to clean with a brush.

Those earrings are absolutely lovely by the way. Beautiful, delicate and classic.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Cups for coloured diamonds are really common - and make a huge difference to the finished look. You’re right though it is a little more tricky to clean them. But diamonds tend to perform really well (assuming a good cut) even if they aren’t sparkling clean compared to many other coloured stones. Also I find earrings don’t tend to pick up the grime a ring does, unless I’m thoughtless and put them in before I’ve finished getting ready and stupidly spray them with perfume or hairspray (doh!).

I’ve got a small ultrasonic and I use it for my diamond pieces and some other “tougher” jewellery, it works particularly well with the items which are quite challenging to clean with a brush.

Those earrings are absolutely lovely by the way. Beautiful, delicate and classic.

I haven't pull the trigger. The two yellow are 2.07 ct total (non-cert), the two asschers are 0.64 ct total. 20% off seems a very attactive deal. Maybe I will visit the shop tomorrow and decide. >_<

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
At risk of seeming like an enabler… GO GET THEM they are awesome

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results