shape
carat
color
clarity

Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably a crazy question but I just wondered. FOr those of us who collect colored stones. Do you store yours by color, by gem, by shape?

I had mine stored by gem then I went through and put them all by color

ma re

Ideal_Rock
LOOOL, I sense one serious OCD thread here
9.gif

Sorry, can''t contribute, just had to comment
2.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Heh, mine are in the bottom half of my jewelry box in their little plastic boxes and they get stuck in where ever there is space. I don''t have one of those neat display cases.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I was that organized!!! LOL!!

While there is no rhyme or reason to how I store loose stones, I am anal about how I store my rings.

All tourmalines go in one row,
All garnets in another row,
All other gems go in another row, and by color if possilbe.

I''m so weird.
19.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, I''m so OCD about this.

Mine are classified by shape, and then by colour. For a while they were classified by gem type, but that made it too difficult to fish around when I had empty settings to fill.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 2:06:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I wish I was that organized!!! LOL!!

While there is no rhyme or reason to how I store loose stones, I am anal about how I store my rings.

All tourmalines go in one row,
All garnets in another row,
All other gems go in another row, and by color if possilbe.

I''m so weird.
19.gif
LOL, TL. All of my rings are stored in order of colour. Even my diamonds.
11.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I store mine by type. If I did it by color I would probably not remember whats what!

So All my garnets are in one box, the zircons in another, tourmaline in another and so on. Then I mark the box because it helps me to remember what the heck is in there.

But I would never remember all the sizes or anything. urg! too much for me!

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep the family of gemstones as a group: garnets, spinels, beryls, etc. Not that I have a whole lot anyway.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I think I''m the only one who doesn''t have enough gemstones for it to matter - I have a handful of nicer gems that get gem jars, and the rest of the uglies get put in a little dish. I keep the uglies around mostly for size reference, and if you cross your eyes while looking at them, they don''t look half-bad all grouped together.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 5:05:25 PM
Author: cellentani
I think I''m the only one who doesn''t have enough gemstones for it to matter - I have a handful of nicer gems that get gem jars, and the rest of the uglies get put in a little dish. I keep the uglies around mostly for size reference, and if you cross your eyes while looking at them, they don''t look half-bad all grouped together.

Hehe! I have a lot of uglies too, mostly from pre-PS days. They''re all stored in a little travel jewelery box I have. The only loose gems I really like are two turquoise cabs, a little cognac diamond, and a small heated but not fissure filled Burmese ruby, so those all live together. I also have a bunch of super light colored amethysts and ultra dark colored sapphires, and some misc stones, that are basically not ''worth'' much or big enough/loved enough to ever me set, so those hang together. Sometimes my friends come over and go, ''oh my gosh! Sapphires? They''re REAL? Aren''t they expensive? Wow!!'' and I have to explain to them how they''re probably treated like 100 times over, how the colors need to match to go into the same piece of jewelery, how the bigger pieces have color zoning and the smaller ones are too expensive to have set anyway....I guess if they only place you look at gems is at the mall, then you wouldn''t really know any better. Its a bummer that so many people don''t even know the kind of potential gems have to be breath taking, and only see commercial quality sapphires.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have them organized in a specific way, except it''s by some abstract order only I know in my head. As I like to say, I have my reasons!
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Mine are not organized in any way at all. I just try to be sure I'm not losing any, but I'm not even sure of that. I sense a gem stone clean up day in my future.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, OCD meets computer geek.

My stones reside in square gem boxes with glass tops, which fit into a tray (aka, cardboard box cover). Each has a small sticker with a number, which refers to an electronic database with all the data (weight, measurements, stone type, subtype, colour, vendor, price, shape, use, cut quality, colour quality, vendor picture, my picture). This way, I can play with all the boxes, sort them in all different ways and still have all the data handy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 5:05:25 PM
Author: cellentani

Well, my only stone is my opal, and that''s in a little lavender box way up on a top shelf so the kids don''t get it. If I had more stones, I probably would be really anal about how they were stored and organized.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results