shape
carat
color
clarity

Question regarding blue sapphire ring setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

I've been "lurking" over the last several weeks but now need some help. I purchased a 3 carat round blue sapphire and would like to set it in a ring. It's a darker shade of blue and is breathtakingly beautiful-- my concern is that the setting not darken it further. I found a beautiful Sholdt half bezel setting but was wondering if a half bezel might make the stone appear darker than a four prong setting. What are your thoughts?

It's the ring featured here:

ETA: I edited out the link because I just re-read your policy and the picture showed a logo of the store and I had posted a link to a jewelry website. I'll try to find the picture somewhere else and host it here.

(I tried posting a picture from photobucket but it gave me an error message)

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi babynurse,

The reason you got an error is because Pricescope doesn''t allow outside image hosting in order to protect privacy and reduce broken links on the forums. You can however upload your photos to Pricescope directly.

Our polices can be found here:
http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/faq.asp?mode=policy

Please let me know if you have any questions.
1.gif

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I''ll try again.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Looking forward to seeing your sapphire!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Any setting will darken the initial color of almost any gemstone to a certain degree, and the more closed the setting, the greater this degree will be. But other factors such as the stone''s cut and size also influence this to some point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends how open the half bezel design is on the bottom half; is it totally exposed all the way to the culet? If so, I don’t see it affecting the stone much in terms of the tone. Pictures of both the stone and setting will be very helpful.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Mr. Ma Re. I''ll keep that information in mind-- I love this particular Sholdt setting but want to make sure that it''s the best one for my stone. Highlighting its beauty is my focus. Hopefully I''ll be able to figure out how to post the picture of that setting and my stone soon!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Half of the stone is exposed all the way to the cutlet. As I mentioned to mr. ma re, I''m hoping to figure out how to post a picture of this Sholdt design, as well as my stone, soon! I''d really like to hear people''s opinions on it.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you IndyLady! I''ll post it soon...

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Is it this setting?

elizasholdt918123.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without seeing the sapphire and setting you can do a little trick at home to see how much it darkens.

Put the sapphire between your thumb and index finger (like you''re cupping the stone), then place your other hand underneath. It''s a very crude way of seeing what a semi bezel might do to the colour. If you then walk around in different lightings it should give you an indication. It''s not an exact way of measuring how it will look but if it darkens when you''re doing this then the chances are it will in the semi bezel setting also.

Hope that helps.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you stepcutgirl! It does look just like that from the front, except that there are little diamonds running down the center of each shank (gorgeous!). And I think the side view of this ring shows the diamond nestled more snugly, whereas with the ring that I have in mind,there is space around the stone''s cutlet area (the "Vashion" line).

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2010 3:41:09 PM
Author: baby nurse
Thank you stepcutgirl! It does look just like that from the front, except that there are little diamonds running down the center of each shank (gorgeous!). And I think the side view of this ring shows the diamond nestled more snugly, whereas with the ring that I have in mind,there is space around the stone''s cutlet area (the ''Vashion'' line).
Like this?

terrysholdtyg918.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES, that''s IT stepcutgirl!! Thank you! Now all I have to do is post pictures of my stone, which should be simple enough. Where did you find that picture, by the way?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds, that''s a great idea! I''ll try that.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It''s the same setting D&T has. Here is her thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-sholdt-semi-bezel-with-side-stones-in-yellow-gold-hooray-the-reset-saga-ends-and-thank-you.133883/

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
terrysholdtyg918.JPG

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like you are trying to upload pics. You will need to rename the ones you had on my thread and then you can add them here. Also...when you get a chance could you possibly take pics modeling both rings from the top down and profile views? Pretty please?
31.gif

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I''m trying to upload pics and it''s NOT working
29.gif
A little frustrating because any second one of my babies is going to waken up from naptime and my window of opportunity to get this done will close!

I will either post more pics of 484 on your thread or I''ll start one of my own, probably not until tonight when my husband can help me.

In response to your new thread re your dilemma (wow, do I feel your pain) choosing between the 2 settings... if my sapphire were lighter the way I believe yours is, I would chose the semi-bezel. It really is lovely. But if you have worries about it not getting enough light in that setting, maybe it would be wiser in the long run to go with 484.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
If the size is too big then what I do is I email it to myself, somehow in the email process they get resized correctly. I use AOL, maybe other emails don''t do this but i am not so swift on actually resizing using a program. If the problem is their names then all you have to do is rename the file..since your originals worked to rename i would just as a 1 to the first pic a 2 to the next pic...etc.

Thanks for your opinion on the settings...I don''t know why I''m being such a spaz about it, after I left seeing the Sholdts AGAIN yesterday I left feeling confident that the semi bezel was great then I wake up this morning and my stomach is in a knot and I''m worried.
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results