shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: stones for my 3-stone e-ring!

chaka

Rough_Rock
You guys are my new best friends! Such gorgeous rings!

I would like something in a G/H if I can find the right size/2:1 ratio. I'll check out those stones, Rocky! Thanks so much!

The guy at Tiffany seemed young/new. He was really helpful, but was not coming from a place of "yes." He said there was no way to thin out the ring and also that we were confined to the pre-existing three-stones and couldn't pick and choose. I liked their 1.58, but once I saw the HCA results, it was a non-starter. We're not paying a Tiffany premium for a diamond that isn't cut perfectly.

He's going to bring in a few more for us to see, and in the meantime, we'll keep searching.

Off to look at more diamonds! :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

chaka

Rough_Rock
RandG, your ring is my dream ring! If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs? So great that Tiffany was willing to work with you.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I feared this. My SA is happy to help you. She can reach out to your person and steer him to "yes". And really, Tiffany made no special exception for me. If you want to thin out the shank, and make the knife edge a little less pronounced, I'm certain they will do it.

The stones are all H VS1, 2.50 center and 1.25 on each side. One of my stones scored well above a 2 but the stone is beautiful and performs just as well, if not better than its counterpart.

Did you see the one on ebay with a 1.50 center, all G VVS2 stones, I think?

chaka

Rough_Rock
I haven't seen the one on eBay -- how can you tell what's authentic and what's not? I've never considered a second-hand ring, but it's an interesting thought!

Also, it would be great if you could put us in touch with your SA. Thanks!!!

What size is your finger? I thought the 1.8 would overhang my finger once it was sized down to a 4.5, but if you're rocking that gorgeous huge ring, I may have to reconsider!

chaka

Rough_Rock
Rocky -- BGD added a bunch of new stones overnight. Does your eagle eye have any new stone pairings to add to the mix? I've been scouring them while drinking my morning coffee, but you're so much better at this!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I have far more pieces purchased on the secondary market than the traditional retail market, and with a signed piece, there are good values to be found, if you buy well. Had I been able to find what I was looking for, on the secondary market, I would have bought mine there too.

Obviously, you have to know your seller, and in this case, the seller looks solid. I usually ask for photos, video, and an opportunity to speak by phone so I can discuss any questions or concerns. A seller who won't entertain all of my needs is a deal breaker for me. A return/inspection period is a must, during which time you can get it appraised, and take it to Tiffany to ask about servicing it. They will not service a piece, not their own. This piece has all the right hallmarks, and is a full set, coming with all the components you'd get if you were buying from Tiffany. Tiffany will allow you to re-register a piece in their system, availing you to sizing and service, for a nominal fee. With a good polishing, this ring would look as good as new, and for a fraction of the current retail cost. This one has a best offer option too, even better. I wouldn't be surprised if you could land this premium signed piece under $30K, for 3cts, all G VVS. Of course, its only a good value if its exceptional and you're not compromising anything of importance to you.

You have a very good estate dealer, who does a fair bit of authentic Tiffany, in your area. You may want to explore this channel before making any firm decisions, just to see what's out there, and try on more options.

You're in the driver seat.

Sorry- forgot the rest of your question: My finger is a 4.5. I expected to go smaller but when I saw the coverage, I was hooked. The ebay ring is your size :)

chaka

Rough_Rock
You're a 4.5 too?! Now you HAVE to post a hand shot! :)

Which is the estate dealer near me?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RandG: Foolish request. Could you post a picture wearing your ring?

I second the preloved Tiffany concept.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple hand shots, up close and a few feet away. It has real estate, but a low profile so its comfortable to wear.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be still my heart! It may just work! Coincidentally......you have the watch I have been looking at!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I love this watch and its super easy to wear. I got it for xmas last year and just never wore it. I was actually going to sell it. I'm ashamed I have too many watches and I tend to gravitate to the same one. This particular Rolex has a matte satin finish so its really muted and understated on the wrist. The face has a very vintage look as well. It's also not bulky. Its one of my favorite looks for a Rolex.

Here's a profile shot of the Tiffany...

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Much thanks. My ring is equally as low, but my baskets are a bit more delicate. Must have for me. Just love the watch!

chaka

Rough_Rock
All of these rings are amazing!

I got the specs on the new Tiffany rings they're bringing in today and none of the center stones are great. Here are the specs:

CS 1.5 H VS1:
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.1%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.2%
CROWN ANGLE 35.0°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.4%
PAVILION ANGLE 41.1°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Medium To Slightly Thick
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 80%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 50%

1.42 H VS1
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.7%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 58%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.1%
CROWN ANGLE 35.2°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.1%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.8°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Thin To Medium
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 75%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 50%

Unless I'm doing something really wrong, they both score over a 2 on the HCA...

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany now cuts a vast majority of their diamonds to their own prescribed standards of "ideal". I would encourage you to see as many stones, from varying suppliers, as you can. Your eyes are your best tool.

For the ones you did see, how did they present in person? Putting aside the HCA and specs, how did they look to you? Were you able to play with them, not in the salon, but next to a window or other diffused lighting?

chaka

Rough_Rock
The Tiffany stones that we saw all performed really well. Lots of fire, brilliance, etc. My BF and I were just discussing this -- are we chasing stats instead of going with something that we've seen with our own eyes? That said, I haven't seen any Brian Gavin stones with my own eyes (just pictures), so maybe they're even better than the Tiffany stones and I just don't know it?

Now here's where it gets really tricky -- that eBay ring you turned me on to is the best of the Tiffany rings we've been researching. The stones are HCA 2.1-1.9, they're all G, VVS2. But the setting looks pretty worn. If we buy it and register it with Tiffany, would Tiffany polish it for us (for a fee is fine). If we buy it, we'd take it right to Tiffany to have it registered/deemed authentic, and the seller has a 14-day return policy if anything goes wrong.

Is it weird to have a second-hand engagement ring? My mother would probably tell me I'd be cursed by the likely divorce that ended up with the ring on eBay! But I don't think it bothers me.

I am so grateful to all of you who keep coming back to this thread and helping us. It's really exciting to be looking at all of these beautiful rings and know we have your help and aren't flying blind!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Chasing stats is not a terrible thing. But I can't tell you how many times I saw a stone that should have been amazing, the stats said so, but IRL, it was all formulaic, perfection without personality. Well cut, maybe. Dynamic, not always. Use the tools, but don't let the tools dictate what you should see and like. Just make sure you know what you're looking at-- it sounds like you do.

I'm really all about old cuts, and most of the time, I buy pieces with a great deal of wear, especially mountings. So long as it hasn't been over-polished/over-worked, most pieces look great after polishing. I don't think you need to get a new cert, just a really good appraisal to confirm the stones are as represented, with no integrity issues. Tiffany has always allowed me to pay a $200 re-registration/valuation fee, then serviced my vintage pieces (acquired elsewhere) and provided an updated valuation report. Assuming nothing changes, I can't see why there would be an issue.

Vintage jewelry has a story. I think about the pedigree for like 20 seconds, then I think about how much I saved by going to the secondary market. If people ask, just tell them you went vintage in an effort to contribute to sustainability and reduce your overall carbon footprint :)

chaka

Rough_Rock
Thanks, RandG! Would Tiffany do the appraisal or can you recommend someone?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany will do "valuation" report which includes a full inspection. You would bring it in, with all your paperwork, and ask for it to be updated, and serviced. DC will likely send the piece to NY. It will never be finished in 14 days, without some miracle. I believe there is a list of suggested appraisers somewhere on this site? I'm not personally familiar with anyone in the DC area.

If it were me, I'd probably get on the phone with the seller and share any concerns (restoration of mount, and substantiating the integrity of the stones pre-sale with either a valuation report or updated cert) and ask him, since he has possession of the ring now, to take it to Tiffany for an updated valuation. Offer to put a meaningful deposit on it, and assuming it all checks out and the mounting can be restored too, you will complete the transaction. Lot's of effort. You have to decide, is it worth it, to possibly save more than 50% off current retail.

** One other thought... the ring is in Philly. Couldn't you go see it in person, before doing anything else? If you love it, you can coordinate an appraisal. I think Dave Atlas is in that area too. I've never used him but others seem to value his work.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you authenticate the ring, and transfer the ownership I am pretty sure Tiffany would make you a new mounting. Just a thought.

chaka

Rough_Rock
We went back to Tiffany last night and almost pulled the trigger on a ring, but the HCA score on the CS was a 3.4 (compared to 1.9 on the sides).

But we are getting clarity on what we want. I want a center stone between 1.5 and 1.7, F-H, VS1 or thereabouts, with sidestones in the same color in a 2:1 ratio (so around .75 for a 1.5 and .85 for a 1.7). Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
chaka|1414600649|3774490 said:
We went back to Tiffany last night and almost pulled the trigger on a ring, but the HCA score on the CS was a 3.4 (compared to 1.9 on the sides).

But we are getting clarity on what we want. I want a center stone between 1.5 and 1.7, F-H, VS1 or thereabouts, with sidestones in the same color in a 2:1 ratio (so around .75 for a 1.5 and .85 for a 1.7). Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Here are your best picks at BGD -

Center options:
1.725ct, G, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.725-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104072827005

1.687ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.687-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104074030042

1.562ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.562-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074355001

1.517ct, G, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.517-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104071675013

Sidestones:
.742ct, H, VVS2 + .744ct, H, VVS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.742-h-vvs2-round-diamond-bfg-11489
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.744-h-vvs2-round-diamond-bfg-13462

.832ct, H, SI1 + .831ct, H, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.832-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104074030005
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.831-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-104074030012

.842ct, G, VVS2 + .848ct, G, SI1 (need images)
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.842-g-vvs2-round-diamond-ags-104074030013
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.848-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-104073680050

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

chaka

Rough_Rock

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
chaka|1414612685|3774598 said:

I really like the option with the 1.725ct center stone. The sidestones are perfectly matched.

However, it will be about $10k more expensive than the 1.562ct option. If budget is a concern, the 1.562ct center is great and you can put some of the savings into an upgraded setting.

If budget is not a concern, you will have trouble beating the 1.725ct center with those sidestones, anywhere.

Great pick!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results