shape
carat
color
clarity

Question re: Rolex

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I received a Rolex as a graduation gift 5 years ago. I love the watch and I used to wear it all the time - in the shower, in bed...pretty much everywhere but in the ocean, and considering that I don''t live on a coast, that doesn''t come up too often.

Anyway, here''s the strange thing...about 4 months ago I began to have an allergic reaction to it. It is stainless steel. And I''ve cleaned it a number of times - in case there was something on the underside of the watch that was irritating my skin. Without getting into too much detail, my skin gets all itchy and red and bumpy. It doesn''t happen all the time, only occassionally. Once a month or so. I''ve since stopped sleeping with it on and put it on as I''m getting ready to leave the house.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? And more importantly, what I can do to stop it? I''m currently wearing the watch and my right wrist and constantly checking my bare left wrist for the time...

Thoughts?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have an answer for you, but you might take it to a jeweler who is a Rolex dealer and let them clean it. I wear my Rolex every day, but I don''t wear it in the shower or sleep in it. You might need a little time for your skin to breathe.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with sundial, take it to a professional and have it thoroughly cleaned then go from there.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if something is getting under the watch that is irritating you.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea guys. That is exactly what I''ll do.

I do think it must be something on the steel that is bothering me, because I was able to wear it for several years without any trouble.

Thanks!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Littlelysser!
The same thing has happened to me.
15.gif

I wore my stainless steel Tag for years then when I was expecting my 3rd child my wrist would become inflamed and itchy and then terribly dry (only over the bone)- so it''s either a patch of eczema or contact dermatitis. The only advice I have read is to use an over the counter hydrocortisone cream for about a week. It does get better until I wear the watch again so now I too wear my watch on my right hand.
Hope this helps.
Lisa

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting thing at the jewelery store...I went to a very nice, high end store to see if they could service and clean my Rolex and *get this* they said that because it was running fine, they wouldn''t recommend servicing it because Rolex charges between $250 and $400 to do it...so they cleaned it for me...we''ll see how it works out.

And Lisa - sounds like you''ve got the same problem I do. I currently have a tube of hydrocortisone in my office and at home...stupid rashes!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
littlelysser, Has the professional cleaning helped? I began to think that my wrist does get bad if I wash the dishes wearing my watch and letting it stay wet behind the watch...
Alas the paediatrician had a look on thursday as all 3 of my kids have eczema, and says it''s a patch of eczema.
8.gif
Arrgh!
but I don''t think it gets bad if I take the watch off to dry my wrist...
Lisa

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had the same problem with earrings...I posted a thread about it in jewelry pieces as well. After years of wearing the same pieces, all of a sudden I will break out. I have had this happen with earrings, watches, rings, you name it. It''s like the allergy comes and goes. I think I''m going to try the hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps--currently I''m having problems with my ears. I''m starting to wonder if it has something to do with diet...anyone else experience these changes after changing their diet?

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
The cleaning has definitely helped. My wrist hasn''t broken out in a while. And I''m trying to be good about taking the watch off every night and putting it on when I get ready to leave for work. Of course, I''ve got my hydrocortisone handy!

Monarch - I have the same issue with earrings, particularly studs. I have a pair of diamond white gold bezel earrings that sometimes just drive my ears crazy. The part of the earlobe that is covered by the earring will often get crazy inflamed and itchy. Other times, no problem.

I haven''t really noticed it in regard to diet, but I also never really looked to determine if there was a correlation between the two. I''ll check it out.

For what it is worth, I have found that a pair of simple white gold hoops that don''t have a lot surface area that covers my ear works well. I bought a pair at bluenile.com that are working out great.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Something on the watch is causing your reaction. I doubt the high quality SS that Rolex uses would cause a reaction.

After 5 years you should have the movement serviced by Rolex. Figure close to $400 but the watch will look brand new and a periodic cleaning will preclude worn parts down the road. Think of it as periodic maintenance, like changing the erl in your car before the engine seizes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2006 9:38:28 AM
Author:littlelysser
I received a Rolex as a graduation gift 5 years ago. I love the watch and I used to wear it all the time - in the shower, in bed...pretty much everywhere but in the ocean, and considering that I don''t live on a coast, that doesn''t come up too often.

Anyway, here''s the strange thing...about 4 months ago I began to have an allergic reaction to it. It is stainless steel. And I''ve cleaned it a number of times - in case there was something on the underside of the watch that was irritating my skin. Without getting into too much detail, my skin gets all itchy and red and bumpy. It doesn''t happen all the time, only occassionally. Once a month or so. I''ve since stopped sleeping with it on and put it on as I''m getting ready to leave the house.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? And more importantly, what I can do to stop it? I''m currently wearing the watch and my right wrist and constantly checking my bare left wrist for the time...

Thoughts?
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say... jewelry can get "yeast infections" that will result in diaper rash sorts of red itchies where the contact is. goes for rings, watches, earrings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results