shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on price of silky sapphires.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m thinking about doing a 8ish mm round sapphire 3 stone ring. Maybe cushion ok too. I love this pear but I don’t like the pear shape on myself personally. Basically I want the round version of this pear.

What should I expect to pay for this? I’m trying to figure out if this can hold me over until I can get a 2ish ct ACA or if I need to scrap the idea.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Silk means most of the stone will appear blue most of the time.
It will mean the bright sparkles are diminished. But dark extinction zones are less dark.
In Kashmir sapphires (and non Kashmir sold as Kashmir since they were mined out before we were all born) this fetches a premium.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
As someone who has shopped for silky sapphires and spinels, it kinda seems like the price varies a lot.

Generally, I noticed that they tended to be less expensive overall. But that's just a vague sense...don't really have data to back it up.

This is a lovely stone, to me, on the highest end of what I encountered but I was shopping on IG or through international vendors.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) & @Cerulean! Sapphire pricing is mystery to me so I’ll just pop onto IG and see what’s available. It’s hard cause none of those vendors list prices... wanted to be sure it was at least a possibility before proceeding.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
This is not the advice you asked for, but I'm kind of in a similar boat. Not with what you're wanting to buy, but the general concept of a bigger purchase.

I am refraining from buying things that are not part of an ongoing project, because I would like to do a larger purchase. I think that it does make a lot of sense to just put whatever money you would spend towards this project towards what you actually want, to get there quicker.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a tough one
Silky with saturated color (and in a round to boot) will postpone your budget goal longer than a silky not very saturated color.
Are you willing to Instagram shop overseas to get a deal, and all that entails?
Would getting an synthetic ring scratch the itch?
Would an ‘interesting to look at included but natural stone’ that won’t break the bank scratch the itch?
7460010F-EC4D-468E-9F69-555E9EDA3656.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sapphire pricing generally seems a bit up and down - but silky...wow! Many aren't even labeled, so you have to shop with your eyes and just look at a lot of them to get a sense of what feels like a fair price. They are called everything from milky, silky, sleepy, opalescent, or nothing remarkable at all...

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
This is not the advice you asked for, but I'm kind of in a similar boat. Not with what you're wanting to buy, but the general concept of a bigger purchase.

I am refraining from buying things that are not part of an ongoing project, because I would like to do a larger purchase. I think that it does make a lot of sense to just put whatever money you would spend towards this project towards what you actually want, to get there quicker.

This is such a hard thing for me cause I have no patience. I may explore some options. WF doesn’t even have an ACA in the specs I wanted to buy so we’ll see how this all shakes out.

It is a tough one
Silky with saturated color (and in a round to boot) will postpone your budget goal longer than a silky not very saturated color.
Are you willing to Instagram shop overseas to get a deal, and all that entails?
Would getting an synthetic ring scratch the itch?
Would an ‘interesting to look at included but natural stone’ that won’t break the bank scratch the itch?
7460010F-EC4D-468E-9F69-555E9EDA3656.jpeg

I was going to pull the trigger with a synthetic from Finewater Gems but I think he raised the price. And then the L ACA I was eyeing to create the 3 stone got bought... it killed that plan. Now I’m regrouping and trying to figure out where to go/ what to do. I know Precision Gem does offer custom cut for a better price but I’m worried about going that route because it’s all sales final. I’m not sure about natural but inexpensive in that way. I need to think about that one a bit more... I could prob do overseas though. I’m a risk taker.

Sapphire pricing generally seems a bit up and down - but silky...wow! Many aren't even labeled, so you have to shop with your eyes and just look at a lot of them to get a sense of what feels like a fair price. They are called everything from milky, silky, sleepy, opalescent, or nothing remarkable at all...

Any vendors you recommend?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Would you be open to looking for something that was a pre-owned piece? I ask because the price of gold is so high right now that getting something custom-made would be quite expensive!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Would you be open to looking for something that was a pre-owned piece? I ask because the price of gold is so high right now that getting something custom-made would be quite expensive!

No not at all! I love a good deal!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

Oh forgot to add - I had considered buying a cheaper solitaire setting from I&R and sticking some kind of man made gem in there as well. I just need to do some research and gather my thoughts. I thought if I got some kind of setting going I could have a ring to wear now and then stick an ACA in it later.

M

maru8888777

I was wondering if you found your sapphire? I love looking for silky stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results