shape
carat
color
clarity

Question on jewelry store markup

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
I''m looking to buy an engagement ring and I''m in an area where my only choices store-wise are such chain stores as zales, kay, jbr, etc. My question is how much do these jewelry stores come down on their listed prices. I''ve often seen them go down 20% right away. If I''m haggling with them how much should I try to get taken off the price 20% 30%? I have no idea, thanks for your help.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Regardless of haggling, you will still get a better price online. The need to have a mark up of some kind because of the cost of running a store.
just my .02

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not only will you get a better price online, you''ll get a much better cut diamond as well. Cut is key!!!
2.gif

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
what websites would you recommend, I''m a college student so I''m not looking to spend too much, around $2,000

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Make sure you are not fooled by ads that say "70% off" many times, that is a bunch of BS. Haggling may only get you down to the "normal" profit margin that they are hoping for on the stone, any less and you will be paying too much. If you truly want to buy online, and don''t have access to anything but a zales, etc. I would do some major research, and bring it with you, and see what they can do. Don''t get pressured.

By the way, are you *sure* you are in a region of only chain stores? If your area is big enough to have chain stores, it is probably big enough to have smaller jewelers that you may need to find via personal references of others. Maybe ask around the people that you know.

If you don''t mind me asking, what "region" are you in? Perhaps somebody on the board is familiar with somebody who could help you more than the big chain stores.

But don''t give up on online. there is a lot to be had from very reputable folks, both purely online commerce and those with B&M stores that also sell online.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
people will talk your ear off about:
http://www.whiteflash.com
http://www.goodoldgold.com
(both very good and reasonable pricing)

and others.

I personally recommend e-mailing Wink Jones from http://www.winkjones.com
He can make sure all of your needs are taken care of.

$2000.00 is a healthy budget. May I ask for what are you looking? With a budget in that range, i would stick to a relatively classic setting, cathedral, tiffany-style etc. that way you can spend more of your budget on the stone. She could always add more flash and complexity with her wedding band.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that emailing Wink is a very good idea. He''ll take good care of you. Good luck, I hope you find a beautiful diamond.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 5:35:21 PM
Author: bearsfan72
what websites would you recommend, I''m a college student so I''m not looking to spend too much, around $2,000
Whiteflash & Good Old Gold are probably the two most popular (through this forum).
I am currently dealing with WF and have nothing but good things to say about them. My advice - give them a call and tell them what your budget is and they will work with you.

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
I go to college in Valparaiso, IN so I guess I could go to Chicago which is only an hour away, however I have no idea where to go. Is it pretty safe to say that most people would not recommend going to chain stores?

I''m looking for a princess cut with accents, white gold band, SI1 or better, K or better, as far as carats, i''m not sure. As far as type of setting, I''m not sure, I can picture what she wants, I just don''t know what it''s called, I guess I don''t know as much as I should.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
If I were you I would start reading all of the info under the "Knowledge - advanced tutorial" section of this site.
I would also use the local chain store (DON''T BUY)to figure out what stlye you and your girlfriend like.(Don''t forget ring size).

After you figure out what you are looking for and what you can spend - give Whiteflash (1-877-612-6770 Whiteflash.com), Good Old Gold (1-516-798-5151 goodoldgold.com) or Wink Jones (I can''t find his info right now - someone help me out) a call.

I promise you that you will get a much better diamond and a MUCH better price (sometimes half) if you go through an online source.

Good luck
Mike

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Wink:
800-524-7904

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I also agree that you should try an online vendor. With a limited budget, you can get the most for your money. I can highly recommend USA Certed. I got a gorgous diamond from them a few months ago. Martin will find you a beautiful diamond and he will beat other's prices. Please try to ignore his somewhat cheesy website- his diamonds are jaw-dropping.

http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call Wink Jones, don''t email him at this time of year.

I sent him an email, and then called today to follow-up. He has been so busy in the office that he had not yet checked his email today (I note that he sometimes post on the forum from home).

Perry

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 6:51:58 PM
Author: jazmine

Martin will find you a beautiful diamond and he will beat other''s prices. Please try to ignore his somewhat cheesy website- his diamonds are jaw-dropping.

http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/

Hehe. You sure are spot on there...asbolutely time to update that one...actually, it was probably time to update it in 2002 when i was looking for the diamond for my wife''s engagement ring. great prices though.

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
A feature that chain stores offer that I find beneficial is free financing for one year, do any of these online stores offer any such financing?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 7:20:21 PM
A feature that chain stores offer that I find beneficial is free financing for one year, do any of these online stores offer any such financing?
no
You pay for the financing with higher prices it isnt free.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I think Blue Nile has financing.
I don''t have any experience with them but maybe someone else can jump in here.

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash offers 3 months. You put 20% down and then you have 3 months to pay it off. I believe should you not be happy with your purchase you can exchange at no cost, should you just want to return the diamond they keep the 20% down. Thats not bad at all, most people have wonderful things to say about them. Personally I am like you, we COULD pay for everything up front but it would be nice to have some sort of financing so we don''t completly tap out all of our money. I don''t think it would hurt to if you happened to be in the mall to question these people, see if anyone will tell you the specs of the diamonds ect. I know Littmans does have and idea of the color and clarity of thier diamonds are BUT NO IDEA ON CUT. Gordons sells loose diamonds but they want to charge you DOUBLE want the internet does for something of much lower quality. It''s nice to browse and get ideas in those shops though.

Now if you are going to DEFINATLY not buy from the internet. If you know you want to propose now and need financing and know you do not want to wait, do you have a Jareds? I will tell you upfront I was NOT 100% happy with them. You won''t get as much for your money like you would online, but I think of all the mall stores(even tho Jareds technically isn''t in the mall) it is the lesser of evils. I do agree though you probably have smaller independent family owned jewelry stores in your area. Try a Yahoo search...yellow pages in your area, or if you also have a regular phone book.

If your ok with ordering online and you can''t do the 3 months that white flash can offer then you could try applying for a credit card, all of the online vendors take them. Cut is the most important thing and thats what i''ve learned on here and boy can you tell the difference between a well cut stone and a mall stone. I am currently worked with Jim at James Allen www.jamesallen.com and I feel totally comfortable with them. (they don''t do financing tho)

Good Luck!

BSHAW

Rough_Rock
I was in the same boat as you when I purchased as far as needing financing. Buying online will definitely save some money but if you don''t have the money then that is a mute point. I ended up choosing Jared''s over the other mall stores and I did feel it had the best prices but it also had the worst financing. The mall stores were offering extremely extended financing from 3 years to 5 YEARS!!! but Jareds only had 2 different financing options 12 or 18 months which will make your monthly payments much higher than the advertised monthly payments in the mall. I would not recommend going 5 years financing on jewelry under any circumstances but 12 months is quite short also. Good luck,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bearsfan...

Date: 12/12/2005 5:35:21 PM
College student or no, see if the suggestions under my signature assist at all. Two options to consider:

a) This one, with a nice/simple tiffany ring to accompany (if you have a round in mind...)
b) or, Diamond Scassi in Chicago. They advertise here.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bearsfan,

Just a suggestion, I thought this looked like it may be a good diamond for you and will probably save you money overall or you could get a fancier setting to go with it.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1958361.htm#

Perhaps a setting like one of these:
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=87631
OR
http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=82780

Or perhaps this diamond. It is bigger, but it will take you really close to your limit. You could then get a setting for $100 perhaps.
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-442494.htm

This setting doesn''t quite fit the bill, but it''s close and it''s pretty!
1.gif

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/Search/JewelrySearchDetails.asp?sSKU=79776

Also, I have yet to buy a diamond myself so I don''t know from experience, but I have learned on pricescope that Whiteflash gives discounts if you tell them you found them here on PS! So that will save you a few $$. Anyways, sorry for all the links. But congrats and have fun!
2.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Is this a similar setting?

DM15509100_PR_100_PR_50_100.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Another...

DM15500600_PR_50_100.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Another...

DM15503600_PR_50_100.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Last one.

DM30400400_PR_50_100.jpg

Fadedsenses

Rough_Rock
Hi there

i am a rookie as well, i bought a pair of diamond studs from a store but after asking for advices here, i returned them! And it was a relief!

I think Spencers and spencers offers financing and am currently waiting for my studs to arrive, great service from Caroline, theres a up to 500 bucks discount, if you oreder thru price scope and best of all if you dun like it you can return it easily.
Well i have to admit everyone here is crazy over WF and they do have really beautiful diamonds. As for Spencers, Mostly are certified diamonds and i think i might be the first to try them out..
41.gif
So i will wait and see what i am offered.
31.gif

Point is it is true, getting diamonds online seems like its the best way to go.
In stores i have to admit that you can see them, but if you get them online you get better deals.. saving abit on tax too.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi! My two cents - i would not want to finance a jewelry purchase for more than 3 months - maybe a year if there was some exenuating circumstance. A piece of jewelry is unlikely to go up in value, so I would hate to be saddled with the monthly payment for a looong period of time. I''d buy what I can afford to pay cash for. If you are really in a hurry to propose but don''t have all the $ saved you could always propose with a placeholder ring and continue to save up, then choose the ring together in a few months. A perhaps even better idea is to get the ring from somewhere with a trade-up policy and buy what you can afford today. As soon as you have a bigger budget, you can upgrade!
good luck and congrats!

bearsfan72

Rough_Rock
I just want to thank everyone for their help, I just have a lot of thinking, researching and pricing to do before I make a final decision. But let''s just say for whatever reason I do decide to buy from a mall or national chain store, I''ll go back to my original question, what are your experiences with negotiating at these stores? Is there a usual percentage they will negotiate down to?

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 12:14:15 AM
I just want to thank everyone for their help, I just have a lot of thinking, researching and pricing to do before I make a final decision. But let''s just say for whatever reason I do decide to buy from a mall or national chain store, I''ll go back to my original question, what are your experiences with negotiating at these stores? Is there a usual percentage they will negotiate down to?
Back to my original reply:
DON''T DO IT!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif
Please don''t buy from them. Really, you''ll be much better off buying online. If you need more help we are here to give it to you.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results