shape
carat
color
clarity

Question Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xlent

Rough_Rock
I have an oval garnet, 12mm, purchased as a ring abt 1994 in Arizona. It was a standard, light weight, ladies 14ct trade setting and was fairly inexpensive. It was an impulse buy. I liked the color of the garnet which looks dusty red in low light but bright red in brighter light. It is stoplight red..(everyone who sees it says blood red)..but it shades slightly to the "blue" side rather than the orange. The cut is not good but the stone has flash and glow in most light.
A jeweler told me recently the stone's replacement cost would be $100.
What does that mean? Is it a good quality garnet? I am thinking of having the stone reset in a much better setting.
I am concerned only about the "quality" of the stone and from reputable sources, the replacement cost seems to be a reliable indication of quality. What is the quality range for a garnet stone that size and color?
If a person here were buying a replacement garnet for $100 what would that person expect in range of quality?
(I am strictly a consumer. I know very little about gemstones but I have a laymans understanding of cut, clarity ri and other standard terms used for diamonds)

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Greetings. Oval 12x10mm garnets which look ''dusty red'' should be valued at around $100 for the stone. A quick search online, even on eBay, will give you an idea of what similar looking garnets are selling for. I would not be concerned with the ''quality'' of the stone so much, but rather how much you enjoy it. A gem does not have to be rare or expensive or ''valuable'' to be thoroughly enjoyed.

xlent

Rough_Rock
Thank You for your prompt and courteous reply.
I like the stone. I did not consider cut, color, clarity or other ingredients of quality when I bought it. I looked at it, I bought it..In the setting and price at the time, it was a charming toy to play with in various lights. It has a prismatic range from pale violet rose to straight up red-red and even (occassionally) a halo of brilliant orange that interests me. The color and glow is a true red..but a tad dusty.
BUT...when I consider resetting the stone in a much better setting, I hesitate..
Garnets are not expensive. I don't know what determines the price range. My question is ...to a reputable jeweler..if X garnet is worth $100..a diamond of similiar color, cut, clarity and weight would be in the low quality..medium quality..high quality range? That is the "quality" question because the price of diamonds is much higher but the basic grading system is ..I assume ..the same.
I cannot judge a stone. I am strictly a consumer. I have seen similiar stones ranging from $2 to over $2000 on Ebay so I assume the photographs are not indicative of the more subtle qualities of the stones. I would hardly expect to get a $2000 stone for $2 and everyone who sells makes the best of the photography and enhancements available to net users.
Should I put a $100 garnet in a $1000 setting..Will the stone be enhanced or diminished in better company? That is the Question...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 11:46:40 AM
Author: xlent
Thank You for your prompt and courteous reply.
I like the stone. I did not consider cut, color, clarity or other ingredients of quality when I bought it. I looked at it, I bought it..In the setting and price at the time, it was a charming toy to play with in various lights. It has a prismatic range from pale violet rose to straight up red-red and even (occassionally) a halo of brilliant orange that interests me. The color and glow is a true red..but a tad dusty.
BUT...when I consider resetting the stone in a much better setting, I hesitate..
Garnets are not expensive. I don''t know what determines the price range. My question is ...to a reputable jeweler..if X garnet is worth $100..a diamond of similiar color, cut, clarity and weight would be in the low quality..medium quality..high quality range? That is the ''quality'' question because the price of diamonds is much higher but the basic grading system is ..I assume ..the same.
I cannot judge a stone. I am strictly a consumer. I have seen similiar stones ranging from $2 to over $2000 on Ebay so I assume the photographs are not indicative of the more subtle qualities of the stones. I would hardly expect to get a $2000 stone for $2 and everyone who sells makes the best of the photography and enhancements available to net users.
Should I put a $100 garnet in a $1000 setting..Will the stone be enhanced or diminished in better company? That is the Question...
There are two schools of thought on that...ok well three. MY personal school of thought is get what you like and what you can afford without going into debt. If you like that 1K setting then get it. If you feel its too much, then scale it back. I would probably take the stone with you to the store to see how it looks in or next to the setting.

-A

xlent

Rough_Rock
Thank You..
If I took the stone to a good jeweler to be reset ..do most jewelers, as a matter of course, recut/polish the stone when a stone is brought in for resetting? Is polishing/cutting a standard feature of resetting a stone? Would it be worth doing?

I want a top quality setting..and I want a ring with this stone..to wear on a daily basis. Given a choice between a top quality setting with another stone and any setting wtih this stone...I would wear this stone, whatever the setting... so it is a hard decision. I don''t want to ..diminish the workmanship and quality of another person''s artistic efforts (a good jeweler''s design) with a personal preference that only pleases and charms myself.

Of course, most jewelers will do what the customer asks so I hesitate to ask a jeweler..or I am not certain yet, what to ask..as the highlight by Arcadian so thoughtfully indicated

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 3:01:12 PM
Author: xlent
do most jewelers, as a matter of course, recut/polish the stone when a stone is brought in for resetting? Is polishing/cutting a standard feature of resetting a stone?
No, this would not be a standard feature. You would need to source out a specific jeweler or lapidary to do this for you. Your regular jeweler could probably recommend someone for you.

I don't want to ..diminish the workmanship and quality of another person's artistic efforts (a good jeweler's design) with a personal preference that only pleases and charms myself.
Something that pleases and charms yourself is exactly what jewelry should be.

Quality when it comes to coloured stones is different to that of diamonds. Diamonds are colourless (with the obvious exception of coloured diamonds!). They are all of the same material, therefore same RI etc. Thus it is easier to compare and grade them in terms of quality, seeing as many factors are equal.

Coloured stones vary so hugely that classification of quality is much more complex. There are industry standards - ideal combinations of saturation, hue and tone, flawlessness, or sought-after inclusions in some cases, size etc. There is a lifetimes worth of knowledge regarding coloured stones.

However, really, the main factor in coloured stones is, of course, the colour. Colour is as about as individual a preference as you can get! Therefore, if you find a stone you love, then that is the one that has the highest value to you. So treasure it, and set it however you like, in a way that allows you to truly enjoy it.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Xlent-

The advice offered here is very good. In the end, it doesn''t matter if anyone likes the final piece except you. This is YOUR piece. Consider it a piece of art and art is all about personal preference.

The one thing I did want to mention though is that garnet is not particularly suited to daily wear. Within a reasonably short amount of time (a year or so) you will see scratches and facet rounding because the stone is a little too soft for daily wear rings. Just something to think about.

xlent

Rough_Rock
WOW! Thanks for all the clear and thoughtful advice!
Porridge..I took the stone to a jeweler and he said exactly what you said..and Revolution..the jeweler is going to design a setting that protects the stone..because he said exactly what you said.
I talked to him about the quality. He said that I could pay more money for a garnet but I was unlikely to get a better red garnet. He will have the stone repolished and ..if necessary..to correct the "native cut".. will recut the stone without too much loss of weight (the cut isn''t bad, mostly just shallow crown and windowed (?)..and the table is large but he liked the stone. He did not recommend a different stone...and I was..apologetic about the..quality..because this stone is..not something that is colored a uniform red all the time from every angle and in every light.
The color depends on the light and how the light strikes it One time I glanced at it and my hand was tipped a bit to the side.. Looking at it from that angle..the girdle was a light rose, the crown was a prism gradient shading into deep rose red, the face/table was bright red and there was an orange halo over the edge..It was kinda...garish (rose red and bright red and orange)..but interesting all the same..I have had the ring for years and frankly I couldn''t telll you what color it is ...In very dim light..it is a dusty red..Otherwise..it all depends on the light..
It sparkles in a prism of rose/red/orange hues but sometimes it can be very ..dark and glassy
I trust the jeweler. He will make a ring that I like and can wear daily..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results