shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for people who wear suits to work

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
If you wear a suit 5 days a week, how many do you own? How many do you need to have a good rotation of suits?
I currently have 4 and I''m wondering how many I should buy. I do have assorted shirts but I could use a few more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in the days when my company was very formal, I had about 7 or 8 suits that I wore in rotation and also could also mix and match for more options (red jacket with black skirt, you get the idea).

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 3:39:24 PM
Author:goldenstar
If you wear a suit 5 days a week, how many do you own? How many do you need to have a good rotation of suits?
I currently have 4 and I''m wondering how many I should buy. I do have assorted shirts but I could use a few more.
Well I''m just starting in the more formal work world and I am having the same issue. I currently have 2 pant suits that are wearable in the winter (I have 2 summer/beige ones) and maybe 3 skirt suits. However, this is tough because it is cold here in Canada!!

My issue is always that I don''t want to get a cheap suit because, well, they tend to look cheap, but I can''t afford the expensive ones either! So while I know I need to ''up'' my number of suits, I can''t really figure out how to do it yet.

But to answer your question, if I had my way I would have 5 pant suits and interchange my skirt suits to mix it up. Then you wouldn''t wear any of them too often without them wearing out so quick.

Hope that helps!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I probably have a dozen+ suits. I got most of them at the NM Last Call sale [Chanel, Lagerfeld, Dior, Valentino, Armani, Ferre, blah blah blah]. I got some fantasic suits at an unbelievalble price. I also got amazing blouses at the same time so that the simpler suits would look different with different underpinnings - to say nothing of the shoes and accessories.

I no longer wear them on a regular basis but when I did I was able to rotate well.

I'm not sure I'm answering your question . . .

Try again . . .

If you buy additional suits I would recommend couture - otherwise stick with what you have. Wait for the NM sale and you can get 70% off for additional suits. Get them altered to fit you. They will look spectacular and will last a lifetime. I still wear suits [and other good clothes] that I got 25 to 35 years ago [I wear my own vintage, I guess! LOL!]

As far as accesorizing what you have I would recommend two things: spectacular shoes [great shoes really dress up an outfit - make sure the heels are in top shape, too] and underpinnings [shirts, blouses] and other accessories [belts and the like].

If you have a good suit [or 5!] that fits well that is great. You can really make your suits look spectacular with good shoes, accessories and underpinnings.

Something else you might want to consider is the fact that NM, SFA, Nordstrom, etc. have personal shoppers available for free. You might want to consider one of them to augment and flash up your wardrobe as you see fit. And their services are free [and, yes, they do pull stuff from the sale racks if you ask.]

I hope you can get the look you are looking for. It does not need a ton of money to be achieved - just a bit of imagination [on the part of your shopper!]

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I am a big fan of Ann Taylor suits...they aren''t expensive, but they look very nice. Where I worked, there were many lawyers making big money that still wore Ann Taylor. I own about 5 actual suits, but a number of jackets also so that I can mix it up.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2007 10:23:21 AM
Author: FacetFire
I am a big fan of Ann Taylor suits...they aren''t expensive, but they look very nice. Where I worked, there were many lawyers making big money that still wore Ann Taylor. I own about 5 actual suits, but a number of jackets also so that I can mix it up.

Ditto! I have 5 suits (I don''t wear them everyday, but often enough to keep a few handy). They are all Ann Taylor (or Ann Taylor Loft). My Ann Taylor Loft suits are my favorites and if you hit the store at the right time (with the right promotions), you can get a beautiful quality suit for slightly over $200 (not including blouse). And you just can''t beat that!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Goldenstar, I currently have the good fortune to not be currently working in an environment which requires suits to be worn daily, but I have in the past. I think the answer to your question varies on a lot of circumstances (part of the country, type of job, # of seasons) for there to be a good-for-all answer.

Thinking back, I think my number of suits peaked when I worked at an NGO in Washington DC. DC had two seasons-- too cold and too muggy-- which prevented much overlay in the wardrobe. Also, the culture of the town (partially based on its proximity to the South?) had the other women in my office wearing pastels and colors in the summertime and dark colors in the winter. Having recently donated a lot of those suits, I''d say I had probably 15-20 suits or so? 8-10 for Winter and 8-10 for summer? My personal style tends towards dark and designer, so I had found myself in a position similar to you-- needing lots of suits in a hurry and not necessarily wanting to spend a large amount... especially not on peach-colored summer suits, at least.
2.gif
Assuming you have taken care of the basics already (2 exquisite dark suits, suitable for meetings with CEOs/opposing counsel/congressmen), a great place to get "other" suits for the office in a hurry is Nordstrom Rack. They have both the nicer mass-prod lines (Theory, Elie Tahari, etc.) as well as well-made non-name suits for ridiculously low prices (less expensive, better-made, and not-as-overly-familiar as Ann Taylor).

In the end, though, I think the answer to your question depends on where you live. DC required TONS, NYC found me mostly mixing the pieces from primarily 4-5 high-end designer suits with random designer pieces, and in LA people rarely wear suits. You have enough when you feel you have enough, but the answer really depends on both your local and office culture.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2007 1:27:44 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Goldenstar, I currently have the good fortune to not be currently working in an environment which requires suits to be worn daily, but I have in the past. I think the answer to your question varies on a lot of circumstances (part of the country, type of job, # of seasons) for there to be a good-for-all answer.

Thinking back, I think my number of suits peaked when I worked at an NGO in Washington DC. DC had two seasons-- too cold and too muggy-- which prevented much overlay in the wardrobe. Also, the culture of the town (partially based on its proximity to the South?) had the other women in my office wearing pastels and colors in the summertime and dark colors in the winter. Having recently donated a lot of those suits, I''d say I had probably 15-20 suits or so? 8-10 for Winter and 8-10 for summer? My personal style tends towards dark and designer, so I had found myself in a position similar to you-- needing lots of suits in a hurry and not necessarily wanting to spend a large amount... especially not on peach-colored summer suits, at least.
2.gif
Assuming you have taken care of the basics already (2 exquisite dark suits, suitable for meetings with CEOs/opposing counsel/congressmen), a great place to get ''other'' suits for the office in a hurry is Nordstrom Rack. They have both the nicer mass-prod lines (Theory, Elie Tahari, etc.) as well as well-made non-name suits for ridiculously low prices (less expensive, better-made, and not-as-overly-familiar as Ann Taylor).

In the end, though, I think the answer to your question depends on where you live. DC required TONS, NYC found me mostly mixing the pieces from primarily 4-5 high-end designer suits with random designer pieces, and in LA people rarely wear suits. You have enough when you feel you have enough, but the answer really depends on both your local and office culture.

I agree. I get bored with suits so if I can wear a dress to work occasionally, that mixes it up a bit. Also, I second the advice about buying two pairs of trousers )(or skirts) as I find those wear out faster. Then again, I take my jacket off once I get to work and rarely wear it.

Thritto to the Ann Taylor comments too.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
What about separates? Have you ever tried Banana Republic because they have a lot of nice things. Umm, I''m not a lady, but I personally have about 14 suits and a lot of separates. Things I just picked up here and there. But where I work we can wear dark jeans a jacket and it''s fine.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2007 3:39:24 PM
Author:goldenstar
Hi goldenstar: I no longer am required to wear suits to work but I think I can contribute to your thread here.

Someone stated that NM or couture suits are wonderful options, I agree with that and I would say if you can splurge on one fabulous suit amongst other moderate priced ones you will not regret it. Something that is fitted to your body perfectly and in the right color will not only stand the test of time durability-wise but also fashion-wise. If you''re doing a pantsuit, buy or have made the matching sheath dress or skirt. That way, though the years you can add in different blouses or sweaters and hosiery/shoes to go along with that fabulous big purchase.

Black/navy/gray/taupe suits are a must...whatever color you have right now that makes you feel like a million $, buy another suit in the same color in a different cut (i.e. if you have a single breasted suit, buy a double breasted, etc.).

If you have a suit or find one in a color and cut you really love, get all the pieces to match so you have lots of options. Try to look for "seasonless" wool that you can wear year-round. Garfield/Marx makes beautiful suiting at a reasonable price, very classic pieces. I think the mens'' version is Hart/Schaffner/Marx or similar...same concept. Point being, look for a classic brand name that isn''t likely to be discontinued so you can keep adding onto your suit wardrobe. J. Crew also offers great suiting pieces available in petites, regular sizes, and tall in beautiful fabrics and seasonless wool. That way, you can adapt your "underpinnings" such as blouses, sweaters, hosiery, shoes, to work with each season.

Get one suit in a color that looks FAB on YOU! Try to find something in (again) a seasonless wool that will work year-round. If you love, love, love it, buy all the pieces in the line so you can really rotate week to week all year.

Best of luck...I would say that you''re starting off well with 4 suits. I used to find great and unique ones through the Spiegel catalog outlet stores, don''t know if they are now defunct or what but haven''t heard of them for awhile. There are plenty of companies out there now though (Ann Taylor, J.Crew, Banana Rep., etc.) who offer smart and not super-expensive suits you can add into your wardrobe. Don''t forget about great hosiery and shoes, and handbags, scarves, overcoats, jewelry...all those things can completely change the look of a simple neutral-color suit and make your co-workers or clients think it''s a completely different suit...
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results