shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for law school grads

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
What should I do with my textbooks that I cannot sell to the bookstore or other students?

I was one of those people who chopped the binding off the books so that I can carry around only the pages I needed for the week. I also highlighted and scribbled notes on the pages. After 2 years of this, the pages are EVERYWHERE!

I doubt I''ll ever read them again, and I''m trying to bring myself to chuck ''em in the recycling bin. But they cost a fortune so I''m having a hard time parting with them.

Will I need them again? Someone either convince me that I do, or convince me to toss them. Its a mess.

34.gif
38.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bonfire?
9.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well.....if the pages are everywhere they aren''t any use for you or anyone else in the future. I try and keep my books I think I''ll use in the future, but if they are that decimated, I don''t think you''ll find any use for them besides what Gypsy suggested!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I use some of mine constantly and some of them (law of the common agricultural policy anyone? no?) not at all. Most practices over here have a good selection of the core texts on site anyway.

If the pages are all over the place it sounds like it would be a real pain to try and put everything back together? I confess, I''m a total neat freak when it comes to my notes and books. I even have my seminar notes softbound into books so I can''t lose them or mix them up! I know, very sad...

I can''t begin to imagine burning any of my books, but there''s also a little deep down part of me that really relishes the idea of dancing around a land law fuelled bonfire, brandishing a cocktail and cackling in delight!
11.gif

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm - I would probably just recycle them, especially if they''d been torn apart and separated. Ultimately, I only kept a couple of books that I thought I *might* use in my practice, and my firm library is well-stocked in many practice areas. I had kept some of my 1L books for bar purposes, but never once looked at them during bar review, and passed them along to a friend after I learned that I passed the bar!

Legal textbooks are so expensive, it''s criminal
28.gif

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I''d get rid of them.

I graduated from law school in 2001 and kept those books with me until I moved into a new place in 2003...and I never looked at them ONCE!

Couple of reasons why I''d just recycle them:

1. The law changes constantly...those books are probably already outdated - or they will become outdated really soon...

2. if you work somewhere that has any resources, you''ll do most of your research on-line or use their library.

3. and really, the books just kind of lay down the foundation for what you need to learn in law school...not so useful afterwards...do you really think you''ll need to take a look at pennoyer v. neff in your every day practice? What about the hairy hand contract''s case? Not really so relevant.

I don''t know if you made outlines while you were in law school - I actually used those a bit my first few years...particularly federal jurisdiction and that sort of thing...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 8:59:21 AM
Author: Delster
there''s also a little deep down part of me that really relishes the idea of dancing around a land law fuelled bonfire, brandishing a cocktail and cackling in delight!
11.gif

Uh huh. Now that''s what I''m talking about!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results