shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for any Auzzie''s out there

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
My brother has been offered a job in Australia and is 90% certain he is going to take it. Now then he is an insulin dependant diabetic and therefore gets all his meds, needles etc free on the NHS. I was just wondering what the case is in Oz with healthcare? Is a free system or do you have to pay for your care? What about people with long term illnessese, do they have to pay for their medication or is it subsidises? Also how would he go about being picked up by a consultant over there for his continued care?

Any info would be greatly be appreciated

Thanks

L

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Chizzy I don''t know if I can answer all your questions but I will try :).

We have medicare (you can read about it at that link) here which entitles the user to free doctors visits with doctors that bulk bill (if they don''t you can claim back), free x-rays and some other stuff. I also know we have a safety net for people on medication when you costs reach a certain amount in a year they are then free for the rest of the year but then again with insulin dependent diabetes I don''t know if the rules change. You can get private health cover and people do this all the time it is usually a weekly payable fee I have top extras and second from the top hospital and mine is about $130 a mth I think FF has basic hospital and extras and his is MUCH cheaper :) you can go to http://www.iselect.com.au/index.jsp" and search different companies :).

Also if you need more info about organisations for diabetics in Australia this place might be able to help :). http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/home/index.htm

I hope that helps some :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi chizzy!

My mum is an insulin dependant diabetic also. In order to get a prescription for insulin your brother will need to find a GP for a consultation, which I daresay he already would know. She pays for her insulin supply, it is not covered on private insurance, whch she does have. Unless he has a healthcare or pension or student card he will have to pay full price for his insulin, but needles are free. He shouldn''t have a problem getting a GP in his area (where will he be moving to, do you know yet?) for his ongoing management. If he takes out private health insurance, which is recommended here because at tax time he will cop a nasty Medicare levy, which he''ll avoid if he has private insurance. Private insurance covers things like insulin pumps and glucometers, though.

chizzy1982

Shiny_Rock
Dandiandi and Deelight - Thank you so much for that info. Very helpful!! I will show it to bro and to my mother who is fretting (ALOT!) He has definatley accepted the job and will be moving to Sydney is the next couple of months!

Thanks again

L

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results