shape
carat
color
clarity

question about when to get stone or ring appraised!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris143007

Shiny_Rock
I have the option of having stone sent to me for a week to inspect. Should I get it appraised then? Or have it set and then shipped to me and then checked?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
By the numbers, option one is recommended. Any reason you''d want to favor option 2?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would guess that it would be because it''s much more convenient to buy the diamond set. I had a similar question not too long ago. It''s because you''ll receive the diamond from the vendor, have it appraised, & then mail it back to the internet vendor to have it set. It''s a hassle to go to the post office & a bit nerve racking when mailing something so expensive. I was able to locate two appraisers that were willing to appraise the diamond & set it for me & look at it again after it was set to be sure it didn''t get damaged. They would do it while I waited so I felt that they wouldn''t attempt to switch the diamond or anything like that. I''d suggest that you call local appraisers to see if they are willing to do this for you & also ask if you can bring your own setting. Keep in mind that not all settings are easy to set, some are harder than others & not every appraisers/jewelers knows how to set every type of setting out there. Be sure to make a list of questions & ask them all beforehand!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results