shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Vatche setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jayteekc

Rough_Rock
I purchased my fiancé’s stone off pricescope vendor in April and we are extremely happy w/ everything. Thank you everyone for all your help!

We just picked out a permanent setting in a local store yesterday. She picked the Vatche X Prong and it is extremely beautiful. To get to the point though, the jewelry store said that Vatche sent the setting and they set it "in house". I noticed everyone''s posts about how they had to send the stone to Vatche to set. The store seems to be on the "up and up", and I got a wonderful deal on the setting. Is there anything to be concerned with?

I called the Vatche customer service line recently and tried to ask the same question.

me:
Is it possible to have a diamond set in a Vatche setting by the store? Does this void the warrantee?

Vatche:
Yes, the stores often set the diamonds in house.

me:
But does this void the Vatche warrantee? I heard that Vatche had to set the diamond to not void the warrantee.

Vatche:
Yes, Vatche can set the diamond if you send it to us. This will not void your warrantee.

I couldn't get them to explicitly say, "if someone else sets it, your warrantee is void". I've also heard its taking up to 3 weeks to get the ring back from Vatche if they set it.

You might try calling and see if you get a better answer.
http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/contact_us.htm

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! The D. Vatche X Prong really is a beautiful ring... We don't see a problem with having the jeweler set the diamond as long as the CZ place holder was "soft set" into a light groove as opposed to being "hard set" where a seat has been cut into the prongs to "hold" the CZ as opposed to merely allowing it to rest easily between the prongs... Forgive us, but this is kind of a challenging picture to paint without an example, but essentially one way involves barely notching the prongs to hold the stone in place and the other involves cutting a seat into the prongs to hold the CZ securely in place... The soft set would allow a proper seat to be cut into the prongs to hold the diamond which generally will have a thinner girdle edge than a CZ which tends to have a thicker girdle edge than most diamonds... If a diamond is set into a seat drilled out for a CZ it will often loosen easily which as you might imagine is not a good thing. We suppose that this is the primary reason that D. Vatche requires that diamonds be sent to them for the lifetime warranty to remain valid. We order all the mountings from D. Vatche with the CZ's soft set so that we can use the inventory and replace it rather than be stuck with a whole lot of platinum settings that aren't good for anything more than collecting dust. Forgive the rant, long story short, you're probably fine, we're just trying to "really" answer your question as opposed to glossing over it with a simple "don't worry".

rockupied

Rough_Rock
I was offered the choice of having the stone set at the local dealer or having it sent out to (Vatche) Eclipse. As I understood it, my warranty would have been through the local jeweler if I would have had them set it. Even if I had not ordered a custom X-Prong, my preference would have been to send it out to Eclipse because I wanted their warranty.

niceice- Lot's of good insight!
2.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/27/2004 12:33:00 PM niceice wrote:

Forgive the rant, long story short, you're probably fine, we're just trying to 'really' answer your question as opposed to glossing over it with a simple 'don't worry'.----------------

I'm sure most people appreciate the rant as it's not your everyday purchase! I certainly do.
2.gif

After the stone is set by a vendor and something happens to the setting, is it the manufacturer or the vendor who is responsible for the warranty? And in the case of the Dvatche vendors, is it dependent on the vendor's policies, or is there an agreement that all Dvatche's vendors have the same warranty on the settings, if set by the vendor?

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Rockupied, Did you get some sort of documentation re: warranty?

jayteekc

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help. When we inspected the display model the CZ was soft set w/ untrimmed(dont know if that is proper) prongs. In conversation the sales associate said that that is the way they get them from D.Vatche, so they can set the stones properly. I take it that means that it will come w/ a CZ soft set, and they will reset.

Also, I have virtually the same question: What difference should it make on the warranty? If I sent to Vatche, then Vatche should cover. If I had it set by the jeweler then jeweler would cover, right? Don't know, only brainstorming as a consumer...?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------After the stone is set by a vendor and something happens to the setting, is it the manufacturer or the vendor who is responsible for the warranty? And in the case of the Dvatche vendors, is it dependent on the vendor's policies, or is there an agreement that all Dvatche's vendors have the same warranty on the settings, if set by the vendor?----------------

After the stone is set by the vendor, the warranty offered by D. Vatche would be null and void because D. Vatche states that they must set the diamond in the setting for the warranty to be valid. So we suppose that it would be up to the individual vendor to warranty their work and assumed alteration to the mounting. D. Vatche authorized retailers are not authorized by the company to act on their behalf with regards to alterations and repairs in a similar fashion as say a G.M. or FORD automotive dealer is so we assume this to be the case.

Our policy is that we take responsibility for our actions and thus we would warranty the ring if there was a problem caused by our work on the ring. If the problem were due to workmanship or materials on the part of D. Vatche however, you can bet that we'd get a credit for the ring on a future order and we would expect no resistance from D. Vatche to that regard because they hvae been an excellent manufacturer to work with.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
FYI.....Vatche will be closed from June 26th-July 11th.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,

I figured I''d post the information since I got a clear answer on the question of whether D''Vache needs to set the loose diamond in order for their lifetime warranty on finish to apply.

In an email to D''Vache,

I asked: My understanding is that D''Vache''s lifetime guarantee on its settings'' finishes only applies if the loose stone is set in the ring in-house by D''Vache. Would that be correct?

Max Krause''s (Dir. Sales & Marketing) answer was: Yes, that is true.

Also, for those folks in New York City (like I am), Mr. Krause also said they will accept hand-delivered stones and settings and call the customer when the ring is ready.

I hope this helps someone.

Later,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results