shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Tiffany clasp

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am not sure if this is the right area to post this question.

I have noticed for some pre-loved Tiffany necklaces that part of the clasp looks to be a different type of metal than the rest of the necklace. Does anyone know why this is or is this the sign of a fake?

see this clasp on a platinum necklace where there is an area that looks like it is yellow gold

80B53E83-AD70-4859-9C82-DCE95693A091.jpeg 60666E3F-9642-4D09-84BD-F9A63D1EA6E5.jpeg

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
You might get more responses if you move your thread to the jewelry pieces topic board. You can report your post and ask the mods to move it for you. =)2

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
You might get more responses if you move your thread to the jewelry pieces topic board. You can report your post and ask the mods to move it for you. =)2

Thanks!! Just made the request

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Re-bumping now that my thread is in the right forum. Thank you mods!! :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wish I could help--all of my Tiffany items are either yellow or rose gold and the spring rings are uniformed in color. I sold my Tiffany platinum cross so no help there.

@diamondseeker2006 still has her diamond cross in platinum, maybe she could respond as to the color of the spring ring.

At any rate, spring rings frequently break, so that can be replaced with a non Tiffany finding. But the rest of the piece could be an original....

Good luck!

cheers--Sharon

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have a platinum chain purchased directly from Tiffany.
The lever on the spring clasp is also platinum. None of the parts are a different color.

The tiffany bar (that says tiffany and co and the metal) that gets attached to the clasp is also different on my platinum chain than in your pic.
I thought that was odd so I went and compared it to my other chains (all purchased from Tiffany). The white gold and rose gold ones all have the same bar as the platinum one.

So if you're buying pre-loved, I'm not convinced it's authentic based on my own chains.

Here's two pics of my platinum chain.

tiff clasp 1.jpg tiff clasp 2.jpg

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Thanks @canuk-gal and @elle_chris! Especially thanks Elle for posting your pictures.

While browsing online, I have seen other preloved Tiffany pieces with this same weird clasp and weird looking tag. I am going to avoid any that look like the picture I posted

thanks again!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @canuk-gal and @elle_chris! Especially thanks Elle for posting your pictures.

While browsing online, I have seen other preloved Tiffany pieces with this same weird clasp and weird looking tag. I am going to avoid any that look like the picture I posted

thanks again!

No problem.

But, my comment is to the chains that they sell separately, without pendants attached. The ones with pendants that can't be removed (like DBTY) can have different tags.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My two platinum cross pendants have the gold knob on the spring ring. But my tag with Tiffany is like @elle_chris 's. I have two white gold chains from Tiffany and the knobs are white gold. Tags are the same as the platinum ones. I also have a platinum pearl Tiffany bracelet, and it has the gold knob on the clasp and the Tiffany tag that looks like your picture with Elsa Peretti on the reverse side. I think they may use gold on purpose for that piece as it less flexible than platinum. Some of my pieces are second hand and some from Tiffany, so I do think that could be an authentic clasp. I think when buying second hand, it's good to pay a fair price so you aren't overpaying a terrible amount if it turned out not to be authentic.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 This is the platinum chain I have. Is yours the same?

If so, the different colors on the clasp is really weird and inconsistent. I wish they'd keep it the same.

Yes, that is the same chain that is on the two pendants I bought (at different times from different sources). But the other chains I mentioned were different but had that same kind of spring ring clasp. I guess over the years they may use different style clasps and metal tags.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results