shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about square H&A''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandonhead

Rough_Rock
If I were looking for a square H&A what dimensions should I look for? I''ve read that color is more noticable in princess cut diamonds, does that go for the square H&A''s as well?

My girlfriend likes princess cuts, but after reading on pricescope I think a square H&A would be better. She''ll love whatever I get her. It''s what the diamond represents that the diamond itself.
Never thought picking out a diamond would be so confusing and frustrating. Thanks for any help.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
If you don't get a lot of responses, it's because not a lot of people here have square H&A's or have seen them in person. From your research you have probably figured out who those PS-ers are and can check out their rings. The only online vendor I know of who carries square H&A's is Good Old Gold. The folks there can answer your questions more specifically.

Supposedly "brilliant cuts", including sq H&A, hide color and clarity flaws better. I expect G-H to be safe while I-J may depend on your taste and color sensitivity.

It's not clear if square H&A's are "better" than the new AGS000 Princess cuts, again a matter of taste. GOG has those princesses, I think, and so do a few other vendors mentioned here, e.g. Ice Mine and Wink's.

I had considered square H&A's for my ring too but didn't look too hard into them as they cost ~10% more than the Flanders cuts I was looking at, plus it was not that easy for me to check them out myself to see if the premium was worth it. (It could well be!)

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would disagree with the notion that mainly brilliant-cuts are hiding colour face-up.

The reason why well-cut stones hide colour is because the viewer is being blinded by an overwhelming light-return. As such, this can be achieved in basically any cut, brilliant-cuts, princess-cut or others.

True, most traditional princess-cuts are classic examples of bad light performance, and as such, they show their true body colour much easier. But this is not necessarily true for all princess-cuts.

The square H&A as such is an attempt of trying to combine a squarish outline with the very popular contrast-pattern of H&A. Technically, it is cut like a round, and turned squarish afterwards.

A princess has a totally different facet-pattern, and the contrast-pattern can therefore never be H&A. However, one can achieve very nice contrast-patterns in princesses, which give fantastic light performance. And what is important, in that case, the stone is square, not squarish.

Live long,

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 9:36:08 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
I would disagree with the notion that mainly brilliant-cuts are hiding colour face-up.

The reason why well-cut stones hide colour is because the viewer is being blinded by an overwhelming light-return. As such, this can be achieved in basically any cut, brilliant-cuts, princess-cut or others.

True, most traditional princess-cuts are classic examples of bad light performance, and as such, they show their true body colour much easier. But this is not necessarily true for all princess-cuts.

The square H&A as such is an attempt of trying to combine a squarish outline with the very popular contrast-pattern of H&A. Technically, it is cut like a round, and turned squarish afterwards.

A princess has a totally different facet-pattern, and the contrast-pattern can therefore never be H&A. However, one can achieve very nice contrast-patterns in princesses, which give fantastic light performance. And what is important, in that case, the stone is square, not squarish.

Live long,

brandonhead,

If you have a chance to examine a square H&A, make sure to check the girdle thickness. You''ll see exactly what Paul is talking about (above in bold).

Best of luck!
Bill Scherlag

SSam

Rough_Rock
It is interesting to note that because of this, the arrows will be slightly stubby, ie. they will not form a perfect point because the ends will have been cut off when the diamond is cut squarish AFTER the stone has already been cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results