shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about reddish garnets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 1:27:35 AM
Author: Revolution
You wouldn''t have to beg to have an overseas stone recut. At least, not too much.
2.gif

Hi jeff, I will beg as soon as I find my stone! DO you have a website? I have emailed a few vendors today, perhaps you were one of them and I don''t even realize it!

In any case, I have my eye on a few stones. How can I message you regarding this without breaking forum rules?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 10:16:42 PM
Author: movie zombie
good grief! that last one MAC-W posted has me lusting for it!

re red spinel: a really true red spinel w/o over saturation/extinction is going to be thousands per carat. wasn''t always the case but now that spinel is popular, well, prices have gone up.

mz

Hee hee, its a beauty isnt it? If I hadn''t just committed a couple of thousand on setting my paprika I would have bought it myself intead of posting it here
1.gif

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 1:06:51 AM
Author: mufiin_top
MAC W thanks for the suggestions, but I think these garnets are browner than I''d like. But I did go ahead and email Jeff, thanks for the tip:)
No worries.

Have you also had a look at this website http://www.burmarubies.com/Spinel2222.html This stone is the wrong shape and size and they dont post prices, but this (to me) is good ''ruby type colour'' so this may be another place that it would be worth sending an email to?

MAC

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 1:40:32 AM
Author: MAC-W

Date: 1/22/2010 1:06:51 AM
MAC W thanks for the suggestions, but I think these garnets are browner than I''d like. But I did go ahead and email Jeff, thanks for the tip:)
No worries.

Have you also had a look at this website http://www.burmarubies.com/Spinel2222.html This stone is the wrong shape and size and they dont post prices, but this (to me) is good ''ruby type colour'' so this may be another place that it would be worth sending an email to?

MAC
Thanks MAC! I will check it out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and MAC-W does it again: that spinel is amazing! i''m guessing it has an amazing price tag, too........sigh.

mz

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 1:59:12 AM
and MAC-W does it again: that spinel is amazing! i''m guessing it has an amazing price tag, too........sigh.

mz

Thanks MZ, that means a lot to me coming from someone as knowledgeable as yourself.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 1:11:59 AM
Novel, that Homer Paprika garnet is really nice. The only concerns I have are 1. how it would look with a pair of round brilliant diamonds. won''t the cut mismatch a roun d brilliant cut of a diamond. and 2. since it is called paprika, I am concerned it is more brownish orange than red....despite the photo. AM I wrong to be concerned?

Hey Mufiin! I have never seen a concave cut stone next to diamonds, so I don''t really know. Does anyone have a ring like that that could weight in?

His notes on the stone''s color say "Strong, deep reddish orange color" so it might be a little too orange for you, but I don''t know if I''d worry about brown (but I''m still really new). Does anyone know if he is usually willing to provide more pics?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Novel, that Homer Paprika garnet is really nice. The only concerns I have are 1. how it would look with a pair of round brilliant diamonds. won''t the cut mismatch a roun d brilliant cut of a diamond. and 2. since it is called paprika, I am concerned it is more brownish orange than red....despite the photo. AM I wrong to be concerned?

Muffin,

Apologies for not replying sooner on this post (but its friday and we''ve had sundowners - -I know, I know, sacrilege to even suggest that something might be equal/more important than PS
5.gif
)

Hubby bought me a Richard Homer paprika garnet for Christmas - see this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-a-red-green-christmas.132561/ This baby is all red, but in direct sunlight has orange and yellow sparkels as well. Not a drop of brown to be seen.

I''m getting it set at the moment and it will have a small (0.10ct) RB diamond next to it (plus some other smaller pave diamonds) and trust me the 10pointer diamond makes the red of my paprika POP POP POP. I couldnt initially believe the difference such a small diamond could have on the colour of my paprika, but if you could have seen what I saw, you would know paprikas and diamonds are just..... mmmmwwwwaaaaaaah
3.gif
30.gif
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some decent Burmese reds on this page.

http://www.spectralgems.net/A-spinel.html

I don''t think I''ve ever seen a pure red gemstone, other than a fine ruby. Most reddish spinels have some orange or pink in them from what I''ve seen. I could be wrong.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 10:54:08 AM

Muffin,

Apologies for not replying sooner on this post (but its friday and we''ve had sundowners - -I know, I know, sacrilege to even suggest that something might be equal/more important than PS
5.gif
)

Hubby bought me a Richard Homer paprika garnet for Christmas - see this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-had-a-red-green-christmas.132561/ This baby is all red, but in direct sunlight has orange and yellow sparkels as well. Not a drop of brown to be seen.

I''m getting it set at the moment and it will have a small (0.10ct) RB diamond next to it (plus some other smaller pave diamonds) and trust me the 10pointer diamond makes the red of my paprika POP POP POP. I couldnt initially believe the difference such a small diamond could have on the colour of my paprika, but if you could have seen what I saw, you would know paprikas and diamonds are just..... mmmmwwwwaaaaaaah
3.gif
30.gif
3.gif

This makes me happy
36.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Check out the first one down this page:

http://www.palagems.com/gem_news_2006_v1.htm

It would be large enough, even after a recut into a round
9.gif

Also do a search on red zircons. Eventhough they usually come in dark brownish reds, sometimes they can look like this (and they''re not very expensive):

http://www.palagems.com/Images/gem_news/feat_tanz_zircon.jpg

BTW folks, what''s a Mozambique garnet? The same thing as anthill garnet? They can be quite a nice shade of red and sparkly if cut well, so I was thinking of suggesting that to the OP, but it could turn out to be the same as what''s already been mentioned.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/22/2010 2:18:59 PM
Author: ma re
BTW folks, what''s a Mozambique garnet? The same thing as anthill garnet? They can be quite a nice shade of red and sparkly if cut well, so I was thinking of suggesting that to the OP, but it could turn out to be the same as what''s already been mentioned.
Hi Mr ma re,

Mozambique Garnets are not necessarily from Mozambique. When people in the trade used to refer to Mozambique Garnets, they were referring to the reddish to orangy-red Garnets found along the Mozambique Belt which traversed several countries including Mozambique in the south, through eastern Tanzania, and then to north-central Kenya in the north. Their primary make up is of a Pyrope - Almandine blend.

In small stones they are much lighter in color and very orange. But in larger sizes they can be quite red. Here''s an example of a piece I faceted that came from Tanzania last January, that has since found a new home.

PyropeAlmandineExample.jpg

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Hi Muffin,

Sorry, I didn''t see your reply until just a minute ago. No site yet. Hoping to launch in mid-March.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Hy Roger, thank you for the explanation, we can never learn too much
1.gif

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 10:54:08 AM

Muffin,

5.gif
)

3.gif
30.gif
3.gif

O...M....G! So pretty!!! It DOES appear slightly redder than the one on his site now, but it''s convincing. And the fact that it would go nicely with a brilliant cut diamond is a deal...PLEASE post picsw when you get it set! I am going to see an ant hill garnet a local jeweler is getting in for me next week, then if that doesn''t work out mr gary over at finewater is on the verge of cutting a red spess he said he would keep aside for moi. Either way your pic of that garnet is so durn exciting.:)

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 11:03:06 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
There are some decent Burmese reds on this page.

http://www.spectralgems.net/A-spinel.html

I don''t think I''ve ever seen a pure red gemstone, other than a fine ruby. Most reddish spinels have some orange or pink in them from what I''ve seen. I could be wrong.

TL that''s the first tijme I''ve seen this page, do you know how their prices are? They have an amazing color change garnet too. Unforunately no round spinel tho, but even their purple are nice.

mufiin_top

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 2:18:59 PM
Author: ma re
Check out the first one down this page:

http://www.palagems.com/gem_news_2006_v1.htm

It would be large enough, even after a recut into a round
9.gif

Also do a search on red zircons. Eventhough they usually come in dark brownish reds, sometimes they can look like this (and they''re not very expensive):

http://www.palagems.com/Images/gem_news/feat_tanz_zircon.jpg

MA that spess is very nice, and I won''t even try to ask how much it costs because I know it''s out of my budg. As for the mozambique, I love pics:) Gary over at finewater has recently reserved some round red spess for me, if I get it I will post!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 9:56:01 PM
Author: Novel
Have you seen the larger of the two rounds that Peter Torraca has? If you''re looking for something dark and pure red... I can''t speak to the brown, because I''m apparently incapable of seeing that, but its big and its seriously red! And his cutting is supposed to be amazing. Peter Torraca''s garnets
How did I miss this thread!

I can attest to Peter''s cutting. At the last count I think I have about 11 stones in total. I can also attest to his red garnets being dark red. In fact even have a round dark red garnet from him. You would not be disappointed.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 10:16:42 PM
good grief! that last one MAC-W posted has me lusting for it!

re red spinel: a really true red spinel w/o over saturation/extinction is going to be thousands per carat. wasn''t always the case but now that spinel is popular, well, prices have gone up.

mz
No wonder MZ, that''s a John Dyer stone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
The Gem Trader has a large red anthill garnet that is very pretty. link

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results