shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about inclusions

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I was just wondering if a ruby or sapphire has a visible inclusion, would that mean it could still have been heat treated or diffused? Doesn't being heat treated get rid of visible inclusions in a stone and make it at least eye clean?
My ruby has an inclusion you can see only in certain light and at an angle. I still haven't sent it to AGL but the gemologist I took it to said he believed it was heat treated. I always assumed inclusions in a stone was a sign it was unheated. Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are heated and diffused ruby and sapphire with visible inclusions. There are also synthetic ruby and sapphire with visible inclusions.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Inclusions and how they look like often help a gemologist to identify a heated or not heated ( high or low ) gem.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
livannie|1424452165|3835448 said:
I am sure this has been asked a million times before but I was just wondering if a ruby or sapphire has a visible inclusion, would that mean it could still have been heat treated or diffused? Doesn't being heat treated get rid of visible inclusions in a stone and make it at least eye clean?
My ruby has an inclusion you can see only in certain light and at an angle. I still haven't sent it to AGL but the gemologist I took it to said he believed it was heat treated. I always assumed inclusions in a stone was a sign it was unheated. Thank you!

Typically, when intact, fine rutile needles called silk suggest that the stone has not been heat treated with high heat, but it's not a guarantee.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In summary, the collective wisdom above is saying that it depends upon the type of inclusion. But the quick answer is no, that a sapphire can have visible inclusions and still be treated. A highly included stone after heat - assuming it doesn't crack in pieces - will be less included but still be included.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results