shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about gas oven

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had a gas oven until I moved a few weeks ago. Whenever I use the oven part (not the burners) it smells a bit like gas in my kitchen. It''s not enough to make the carbon monoxide detector to beep, but is this normal or something I should have checked out?? Gas makes me so nervous...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have it checked out, if only to put your mind at ease. Call your gas company to see if they offer this kind of service for free
(mine does
2.gif
).

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Mine doesn''t smell like gas when I use it...so I would suggest calling the gas company and asking them to have someone come out. If there is a problem, they won''t "fix" it, but they will tag your appliance and let you know something is wrong. If something is wrong, and your appliance is still under warranty, you can easily get it fixed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 10:26:16 AM
Author: VRBeauty
I''d have it checked out, if only to put your mind at ease. Call your gas company to see if they offer this kind of service for free
(mine does
2.gif
).
Ditto, they will come out and check things out for you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call the gas company. Better safe than sorry. Just make sure someone''s at your house when you call, because they usually come out right away.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''ll call them. Thanks everyone.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
I called them over an hour ago... that''s not very immediate... I''m glad I don''t have a serious emergency.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you called - don''t take chances with gas.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
He came, we''re okay. Apparently the smell wasn''t gas... the previous owners probably used some kind of cleaners on it when they were trying to sell, and that''s what''s burning off. So, I''m probably burning off chemicals into my house, which I don''t love, but at least we''re not going to blow up!

Glad I called anyway, makes me feel a bit better!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
musincy- does your oven smell like gas when you use the stove? i''ve never had a gas oven either until recently. one day after using the stove top, i opened the oven (which was not in use) and it smelled like gas! does yours do that? i wonder if it''s normal or if there''s an issue...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sugar -- you shouldn''t be smelling gas at any time. Can you still smell gas when you open the oven? If you can, or if it happens again, you should have it checked out.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 7:20:09 PM
Author: VRBeauty
Sugar -- you shouldn''t be smelling gas at any time. Can you still smell gas when you open the oven? If you can, or if it happens again, you should have it checked out.
ditto, when the gas guy came and check ours he said that if you smell gas you might have a leak; he said gas is odorless but they put something in it so it smells and you can detect a leak, etc.

Musincy glad you had yours checked out.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
maybe your burner is clogged
maybe you are running low on gas. Ours smells when our tank is low
maybe there is a leak

I would get someone in there to check it out.

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
thanks guys. the oven only smells after we''ve used the stove top and then it goes away after a day or so. right now it doesn''t smell because we haven''t used the stove for a couple of days. i think i''ll have it checked out!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/12/2009 1:51:24 AM
Author: sugar
thanks guys. the oven only smells after we''ve used the stove top and then it goes away after a day or so. right now it doesn''t smell because we haven''t used the stove for a couple of days. i think i''ll have it checked out!
I would, I have a gas stove with 2 gas ovens and gas stove tops which I have had from new, it has never smelled right from the beginning or now years later, best to get it checked - it shouldn''t produce any smell.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PSA - leaked gas won''t set off most fire alarms. Fire alarms react to carbon monoxide, not lack of oxigen or piped gas!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 7:22:17 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
PSA - leaked gas won''t set off most fire alarms. Fire alarms react to carbon monoxide, not lack of oxigen or piped gas!

and my cooking (on a bad day!)

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 8:08:25 PM
Author: whitby_2773

Date: 7/12/2009 7:22:17 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

and my cooking (on a bad day!)

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
or me trying to use my gas broiler for the first time...

Yikes!!
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results