shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about custom quote timing...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I''m just curious about how long it will probably take to get a quote for a custom engagement ring? I''m really really trying to be patient (not my strong point) but I''m getting antsy!!!
2.gif
And I really don''t want to call & start bugging them and asking how it''s coming unless I''ve been waiting for an unusually long time to hear back. My boyfriend and I started looking at rings last March, and I''ve finally gotten the ''go ahead'' to find exactly what I want so now I''m just so excited I can''t stand it!!
9.gif

The ring is a modification of one they have already made, so I don''t think it is terribly complex? And, normally I would be a little more patient, especially since we''re right in the middle of 2 holidays, I know it''s hectic & people are on vacay, but I also asked for info on a couple of stones and I can''t really make any decisions about a stone until I know what the ring will cost, etc.

Any input? Thanks!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, even if it is a modification to an existing ring that they have in stock, they still need to do the whole ring process, beginning with creating the wax and then casting it, setting stones, polishing, etc. The fact that there is already a ring you like in their possession with just minor modifications just means that you *should* have more certainty in the ring coming out exactly the way you want, as opposed to working off of drawings or pictures.
Given that the ring won''t be started until next week, as the rest of this week is basically a "non-working" one, it really shouldn''t take more than 6 weeks, so by mid-Feb. (Valentine''s Day!) you should have it.
HOWEVER, with that said, it all depends on the operation they have there. Do they do it in-house or send it out? If it is sent out, it will take longer. Also, if it is in-house, what type of staffing do they have? If they are a larger outfit, it should be able to be done in just a matter of say two weeks.
My current ring was made to match one that the jeweler already made for someone else, to the exact style, only modifiying to my stones'' measurements as the one made for the other customer was with larger diamonds. My ring was completed in THREE days, and it is the most well-made piece I''ve had done to date, and I''ve had about 10 jewelry items done custom.
So, they could do it in a week but I wouldn''t tolerate longer than 6 weeks; I think 2 to 4 weeks is the norm.
If you are going custom, I would be sure to go in and inspect the wax to be certain it is exactly as you wish. Also, I would then ask to see it after it is cast before they finish it.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Just the quote or the ring?

How long have you been waiting?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
How long have you been waiting? I suppose they didn''t tell you when they''d get back to you? If it''s been a week I think it doesn''t hurt to call and pin down when you can expect a quote.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just waiting on the quote, actually. I sent the first email about a week ago but w/ Christmas falling in there...

I sent my first email to the generic sales address but was concerned that it wasn''t rec''d because of another post I saw here on PS so I sent another email directly to someone which got screened by their email filter and dumped into their spambox & wasn''t found immediately (not sure exactly when it was found).

Anyhow, I got a response saying that they''d just found my email & would "bring this email into your record and then I will answer you from there." So, no, it didn''t specifiy when they''d get back to me, but it really hasn''t been very long. I''m just too impatient!! I''ll probably wait until Friday & call, my only worry is losing out on a nice stone in the meantime. But I''m sure there are other pretty diamonds out there...
9.gif

Thanks guys ~ if nothing else this gives me an outlet for my ants in the pants.
2.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
See, just as I feared, one of the stones I requested info on has been sold...
20.gif

Oh well... It was nice & a good price so I''m not surprised, just wish I''d had the opportunity to consider it a little more closely.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Picking up the phone is often much more efficient that waiting for them to get around to your email. I would call them and have a live conversation.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2004 5:55:46 PM
Author: lop
Picking up the phone is often much more efficient that waiting for them to get around to your email. I would call them and have a live conversation.
Mega Dittos to Lop''s comment. You''ll get much better attention and quicker responses. Plus, the Vendor may even put a particular diamond you are considering on "Hold" while they get all the info to you to make your decision. May save you from loosing out on another nice stone.
2.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I should have just called ~ I''ve had such a strange schedule this week and last that it seemed easier to just email at the time. Plus it''s just habit from my work life, where things operate more efficiently when using email rather than phone/voicemail.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will get on the phone tomorrow to discuss a couple of the remaining diamonds!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results