shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about black diamonds and trading in jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Frank Mucus

Rough_Rock
I''m thinking about trading in a pendant which is 98 grams of 14k gold with .43 cts of SI1-I1 G-H coloured diamonds, 3.72 cts of SI1-SI2 G-H diamonds, and .54 cts of SI1 fancy yellow diamonds. The item I''ll be receiving in would contain 508 black coloured diamonds, totaling 9+ carats and is about 110 grams of 14k gold. Would this be a good trade in or not?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2010 5:52:49 PM
Author:Frank Mucus
I'm thinking about trading in a pendant which is 98 grams of 14k gold with .43 cts of SI1-I1 G-H coloured diamonds, 3.72 cts of SI1-SI2 G-H diamonds, and .54 cts of SI1 fancy yellow diamonds. The item I'll be receiving in would contain 508 black coloured diamonds, totaling 9+ carats and is about 110 grams of 14k gold. Would this be a good trade in or not?
God NO!!!
23.gif

Keep your pendant. Black diamonds are all irradiated muck worth nothing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope! Fancy yellows are worth far more than black diamonds, even if there are more black diamonds than your current yellow ones.

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
While I certainly agree that this is not a good trade in terms of value, I think it is important to know that not all black diamonds are "irradiated muck". There are many natural black diamonds and some of these are quite interesting looking, although not very similar to their transparent counterparts. In addition many, if not the majority, of black diamonds on the market today are heat treated and not irradiated.

Good luck.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/4/2010 11:40:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 1/4/2010 5:52:49 PM

Author:Frank Mucus

I'm thinking about trading in a pendant which is 98 grams of 14k gold with .43 cts of SI1-I1 G-H coloured diamonds, 3.72 cts of SI1-SI2 G-H diamonds, and .54 cts of SI1 fancy yellow diamonds. The item I'll be receiving in would contain 508 black coloured diamonds, totaling 9+ carats and is about 110 grams of 14k gold. Would this be a good trade in or not?

God NO!!!
23.gif

Keep your pendant. Black diamonds are all irradiated muck worth nothing.
While I am personally not a fan of black diamonds, and I think they may date themselves shortly, it is very untrue to state they are all 'irradiated muck worth nothing'. There are very high quality black diamonds that are not irradiated with GIA grading reports, and some people may prefer to use them as they have quite an interesting look and appeal. On a forum like this I think it's very important to separate an expression of opinion from a statement of fact.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results