shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about appraisal/return policy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

auphex

Rough_Rock
I have decided on the diamond described below but have a question about how I should buy it. Although I have searched many places, this diamond I found is on 47th street in NYC and the seller, who "seems" very trustworthy, doesn''t offer an unconditional guarantee... just a money back if it doesn''t match the certificate. I live in Boston and am wondering if I should push the unconditional money back issue or rather I should get an independent appraiser(I''ve seen Justin Krall''s name mentioned) to look at the diamond there. And I assume I should request a money back guarantee in writing before sending money even though it is a brick and mortar business? Reading the 1 ct ebay saga and seeing that he is still selling is making me even more paranoid. Thanks,
Sam

The other details of the diamond are repeated below:
Round Ideal
2006 new GIA certificate
weight: 1.85ct
color: G
clarity: SI1 (eye clean, a very small feather and a small indented natural near the girdle but not on it)
dimensions: 7.9?x7.9?x?(what I remember)
depth: 61.7%
table: 55.4%
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX
Culet: 0
Crown Angle: 35
Pavillion Angle: 40.9
HCA 1.9 EX-VG-VG-VG
$15,100

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Why take a chance with a jeweler who does not give an unconditional guarantee when you can get not only an unconditional guarantee but also full price toward an upgrade with one of the Pricescope vendors?
I believe there are a few in the Diamond District.
If you look on Show Me the Ring, you can see where others have bought. GoodOldGold, Wink, Whiteflash, and James Allen are a few of the highly regarded ones here.
Most will permit you to have a stone or stones sent to an appraiser where you can see it before you pay and if you do not like it you will just have to pay for the appraiser and a small shipping charge.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2006 4:16:58 PM
Author: solange
Why take a chance with a jeweler who does not give an unconditional guarantee when you can get not only an unconditional guarantee but also full price toward an upgrade with one of the Pricescope vendors?
I believe there are a few in the Diamond District.
If you look on Show Me the Ring, you can see where others have bought. GoodOldGold, Wink, Whiteflash, and Robert Allen are a few of the highly regarded ones here.
Most will permit you to have a stone or stones sent to an appraiser where you can see it before you pay and if you do not like it you will just have to pay for the appraiser and a small shipping charge.
I agree. I''m getting ready to view a stone from Wink and have just now found out that there really aren''t any appraisers in my area. I''m going to make arragnements to have it appraised before I see it since I get a 21 day window. I wouldn''t go with an unconditional guarantee...it''s better to be safe than sorry as with the ebay story.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Here is an appraisor in your area that is a pricescoper. I don''t know him but someone here may. Yes get everything in writting prior. I actually prefer buying online as the email trail comforts me.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Jeff Averbook,G.G. (G.I.A.) since 1986. NAJA (member)GIA Alumni Association (member)

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Martin Haske in Brookline, MA is also an appraiser who really knows his stuff.

auphex

Rough_Rock
It is tough because we''ve seen the stone and really like it. I(and my fiance to be) am picky about the inclusions and worry that getting a SI1 on the internet will likely just result in getting a diamond with inclusions I don''t like and sending it back. I am talking to James Allen about a great looking diamond but am still wary. So far their customer service is amazing!

Which of the vendors(most of them?) offer full price of the diamond toward an upgrade?

Martin Haske sounds like a great and extremely knowledgable diamond expert but it is very tough to get ahold of him or schedule an appointment in my experience.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Whiteflash offers the full amount toward an upgrade and I believe GOG does as well. I do not know about the rest.

I bought a large SI 2 from Whiteflash and it is perfectly eye clean. I know that people here have had good experiences with James Allen. Do they have the stone or stones in house? I don''t think a vendor would tell you that a stone is eye clean if it is not. There is no advantage to them to take a stone out of circulation and send it out only to have it returned and risk losing you as a customer.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Wink(Winfields) told me that the Infinity diamonds he sells have full upgrade value as well.

I have an SI2 D marquise and it''s eye clean. I can''t see any inclusions until I get out the loupe. I''m also in the process of viewing an SI2 that has an inclusion on the outside that may be prongable. If I can''t see it, then it won''t bother me. Wink and Paul (from Infinity) both told me it''s not eye clean...they were very honest with me and I appreciate them being that way as to not waste any of my time or theirs. They both told me they believe it can be covered by a prong though so that is why I''m taking the chance to see it. Just keep an open mind and work with someone who offers a good guarantee and return policy. I don''t think you can go wrong with the recommended vendors on this site. I''m new but have been reading and reading and it seems everybody has great things to say about most of the vendors here.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results