shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about a pear

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelypear

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a while now, but this is my first post. My boyfriend and I chose a diamond today and we are waiting for it to be set!! I LOVED the stone when I saw it, but now I''m having second thoughts! It is a .84 ct pear, I, SI1. It was hard for me to see the inclusions even under the loupe. The dimensions are 7.5 x 5.2 (don''t remember the depth). The stone is not certified.

After looking online for a while we decided to go with a local jeweler. He comes highly recommended from a family member of mine who has been a friend/customer of his for many years. Also, he has a low profile shop (low overhead) which I assume could mean less mark-up to us.

My concern is with the cut of the diamond. I am much more interested in the diamond being sparkly than big, but does that seem too small for a .84 ct? The length to width ratio (1.44:1) is perfect, as I prefer shorter pears. You probably need more info to really tell me much about the cut, but what do you think?

In the shop I was looking at it next to a pear that was cut way too shallow and my stone looked MUCH MUCH better. Now I''m worried that it just looked so good because what I was comparing it to was so unattractive. Aahh! I should just quit thinking about it!

Thanks!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pear, I am sure your diamond is beautiful, otherwise, you would not have chose it. But since you asked a question about its size for its weight, I did a search for you.

For comparison, a search on this site for pears in your range yields the following 2A cut pear (see section on grading fancies):

0.84 D VS2 60%(depth) 54%(table) EGL m (medium girdle) no vg vg no 8.14*5.40*3.24
L:W = 1.51

So without knowing your depth %, I am guessing that your stone is a tad deeper and/or
has a thicker girdle.

The numbers are somewhat important but alone cannot tell you about its
"shape appeal" or girdle outline as it is called during diamond grading.

Things to look for under shape appeal are:

UW - uneven wings (not matched on both sides)
US - uneven shoulders (not matched on both sides)
FW - flat wings (should form low arcs - but not so low as to look straight or flat)
HS - high or square shoulders (should have a gently but distinctly rounded arch)
BW - bulged Wings (tends to make stones look squat or fat)
UP - undefined point (a blunt instead of sharp point)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2005 9:58:16 PM
Author:lovelypear

Now I'm worried that it just looked so good because what I was comparing it to was so unattractive.
No way to know but what you say... unless there is some way to show these diamonds online with some detailed description of their looks and brilliance.

Second what Cflutist says - size is easily described by those two diameter numbers and there surely are larger .8 pears.

You can easily look up pears with a certain range of length / width in this database here, but there are no pictures
7.gif

The diamond database at Stuller contains quite a few pears - you might want to browse for different shapes and proportions regardless of weight just to see if some different version of this shape is allot more appealing than the one you found locally. Without some means to compare it with other diamonds it remains a tough call to judge if this is the best you can get.

Garry's Ideal-Scope is meant to help with decisions such as yours - if you happen to find the idea appealing and the little tool handy enough.

Just my 0.2. I wish there was a way to show the intriguing find online.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not easy falling in love with a pear stone, especially before you find PS. I can definitely vouch for that.
1.gif
Numbers can make you crazy!

You bought the stone, you loved it. It's being set. Now's not the time to worry about it anymore, especially if there's nothing to be done about it. If the stone is a little deep, it's still going to look nice and sparkle, though it may look slightly smaller than other 0.8 ct pears. But it's not likely you'll run into many people wearing another 0.8 ct pear very frequently in your daily life!! Forget the numbers right now, since the pear is yours already...do you love the ring? And please post pics when you get it back!!!!!
11.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with FireGoddess. This is the only problem with PS as far as I see - you start second guessing your eyes when you think about numbers too much. You saw the pear in person, you loved it when you saw it, and I think you''ll also love it when it''s on your hand. As I understand it, numbers aren''t quite as important for fancy shapes as they are for RBs - you have to rely on your eyes more.

My .38 pear is also uncerted, so all I really "know" is its approx weight, it is eye-clean, and I now know that it has some blue fluor. But more importantly, I love how firey and sparkly it is, and I love that my soon-to-be-hubby chose it specifically for me. Don''t worry - it will be wonderful! And welcome to Pricescope!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely-
After buying millions and millions of dollars worth of diamonds, there is one rule that seems to emerge- GO WITH YOUR GUT.
Which is exactly what you have done.
Now you''re simply second guessing your gut feelings- which I also do many many times, so I can certainly understand.
BUT- I feel pretty sure you made the right choice the first time.
Relax.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2005 9:58:16 PM
Author:lovelypear

I have been reading this forum for a while now, but this is my first post. My boyfriend and I chose a diamond today and we are waiting for it to be set!!
Oups! Where was my mind ? I have not realized that you have already purchased the piece when writing that previous post.

Sorry for the confusion...

Of course I do not have any reason to believe it is anything but impressive since it did impress you
1.gif

lovelypear

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses. I had researched diamonds quite a bit but I was still hesitant to purchase a pear online without seeing it first. When when I saw this diamond in person I fell in love, and everything I learned on PS about what makes a diamond beautiful (cut, etc) flew out the window. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of meeting my FH years ago; he is perfect with all his imperfections. So, this diamond will be a wonderful symbol of our love for eachother.

Now I just have to wait for the proposal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results