carat
color
clarity

Quest Jewelers - tension set

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny,
The CT setting might not be a 100% true tension setting but if the two sides of the metal are holding the diamond via tension with the gold bar providing additional support, can it not still be called a tension setting, just not a true tension setting?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A tension setting has no metal (Visible or not in a top view) between the sides.
Faux tension setting, or tension setting look is when it looks like a tension setting, but there IS metal bridging the gap.
The bridging metal takes the load that would be born by the diamond in a real tension setting.

I didn't make this up.
Please reread Wiki's description that I posted above.

I think what we are seeing is yet another example of people wanting, and sellers providing, a product resembling something with a cool image but at a lower cost.
Nothing wrong with that but they are not the same thing, as some sellers and some buyers would love to believe.
Sorry but a fake diamond is not a real one, a clarity enhanced one is not the same as one that is not clarity enhanced no matter how much you hope and no matter what the seller told you.
Shining a light on the difference between resembling it and being it makes me a bad guy I guess. :roll:

A while back I pointed out that FCDs with treated color are not the same as those with natural color and boy did I get a forum flogging for that one.
Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by telling the truth. :???:

There is nothing wrong with diamonds with treated color or settings with metal bridging the gap, but pointing out definition creep is a good thing, not bad.
Please don't shoot the messenger.
Oh, go ahead and shoot me.
It makes for great entertainment on an Internet forum. :razz:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1366830736|3433851 said:
Kenny,
The CT setting might not be a 100% true tension setting but if the two sides of the metal are holding the diamond via tension with the gold bar providing additional support, can it not still be called a tension setting, just not a true tension setting?

Semantics.
Any buyer or seller can call anything anything they want.

Definitions are agreements.
Calling a chair a couch is not illegal.
You can even gather a community of people and get them to call a chair a couch using all your popularity and charisma.
Sellers can name their chairs couches so you can afford a 'couch' for the lower price of a chair ... and everyone's happy. Right?

That doesn't make the chair a couch.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure this is the battle I would pick but just to note, the link posted earlier referred to the setting as a bypass setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1366832091|3433864 said:
I'm not sure this is the battle I would pick but just to note, the link posted earlier referred to the setting as a bypass setting.

I can't find the link you speak of.
Who posted it?

Yes bypass is a term I've seen used by sellers of these settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wiki isn't always the most reliable and correct source of information. I think an industry source would be more reliable and preferred for most forum members.
Check out page 9 which defines it as "holds the gem by the force of tension alone", which implies to me that there cannot be any sort of support bar, no matter how tiny automatically excludes it.
http://www.diamondcouncil.org/Documents/CourseMaterials/DC/D_Lesson_07.pdf

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
thing2of2|1366775218|3433451 said:
Are you in the DC area? Have you checked out any retailers of Claude Thibaudeau? It looks like this setting is on sale at Mervis Diamond. I think this is one time when it's worth it to pay for the original. According to the Claude Thibaudeau website it comes in white gold, too, which is likely less expensive than the platinum version.

http://www.mervisdiamond.com/clearance/claude-thibaudeau-plt-165-engagement-ring.html

This link.

Which surprised me because I think of a bypass setting being something quite different (in antique settings, it's a different look).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The CT setting definitely qualifies as a bypass setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1366832633|3433870 said:
Wiki isn't always the most reliable and correct source of information. I think an industry source would be more reliable and preferred for most forum members.
Check out page 9 which defines it as "holds the gem by the force of tension alone", which implies to me that there cannot be any sort of support bar, no matter how tiny automatically excludes it.
http://www.diamondcouncil.org/Documents/CourseMaterials/DC/D_Lesson_07.pdf

Thanks Chrono, great link.

Yes Wiki is not an authority on settings, or anything ... but it's something, one piece to the puzzle.
What I like about Wiki is anyone who thinks they know better can submit corrections and after review the article may be revised.
Of course the question of WHO is reviewing comes up.

They accepted a correction about green diamonds that I submitted.

The link you provided is another voice (an authoritative one) confirming what I've been saying throughout this thread.
Tension setting means there is no metal bridging the gap, only the gem.

screen_shot_2013-04-24_at_4.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1366833233|3433877 said:
The CT setting definitely qualifies as a bypass setting.
Agreed, which is not a tension setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One apology.

I should have done my homework first and called these other rings 'bypass' settings, not 'tension set look'.

Thank you maccers for pointing that out. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results