shape
carat
color
clarity

Quest Jeweler in VA - Pricing Game???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am a little confused/disappointed so I am asking for opinions here. I am working on getting my PG tsavorite set. I contacted WhiteFlash.com (WF), and Quest Jeweler in Vienna, VA for quote on the same design, with all specs being identical. I also asked the quote to include an appraisal for the finished piece for insurance.

WF is very responsive and pleasant to deal with. They are very patient to work with me to find out all details about the design. They prefer that I insure my tsavorite before setting so any damages will be covered.

Quest is my local jeweler and had made 3 pieces for me. I am very happy with their quality. The owner, Pete, is hard to reach though. After many phone tactics, I told Pete about my design detail. He gave me an email quote. Quest doesn''t need insurance before setting and will cover any potential damage to the tsav.

Quest''s quote was $434 + $120 (for appraisal) = $554 higher than WF! So I emailed Pete and told him that I am going with WF. Here is a direct quote from what Pete wrote in response:

"I’m shock to hear this, I would have match or beaten WF price due to our past relationship. Quest has many loyal customers and will fully commit to caring for them. Good luck with WF and you may want someone else other than WF to the appraisal (make sure they did not damage / scratch your Tsavorite). It’s a conflict of interest to appraise and supply the product. That’s why they refuse to insure your stone (makes no sense)."

Honestly I am SHOCKED myself to hear that he has so much room to go down after all the ''returning customer'' sweet talk. Before giving me the quote, Pete said he would use a laser molding machine that cost him $180K. Pete complained to me that many PriceScopers requested for quotes, only to disappear after receiving them. I think I know why now.

I am not bargain shopping and WF is a highly regarded vendor. I feel very disappointed with Quest, or maybe I expected too much from him? After all, he is a business man. To me, a $554 mark up (28% of the total) than a competitive quote is like saying "yes I think you are an idiot"

Am I over-reacting???

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I cannot ethically comment on any of the specifics of the situation, but a few generalities.....

Different jewelers have different costs, overhead, staffing, and so forth. On top of that, how popular they are and how much work they have waiting has an effect on the price - if you have too much work to handle, you raise your prices. That''s one set of factors that a person might encounter from jeweler to jeweler.

Then you have "parts" to consider - maybe a setting one jeweler already has a mold for or a source to buy from, where another jeweler might have to fabricate it by hand, make a new mold, etc.

Pricing and profit is a constant dance, with all the jewelers out there trying to stay afloat. You as the consumer have every right to chose the jeweler who satisfies your needs including price as a customer without feeling guilty, and the same applies to the jeweler - they have the right to charge what they need or want to get for the job.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Jessi, thanks for your comments. You have some really good points. I forgot to mention that the ring with both vendors are to be custom-made. However, they probably have different ways of calculating the actual cost.

I was upset because Quest promised me good pricing as a return customer but gave me a much higher quote. Then he was eager to cut his margin by offering to match. Why did he quote so much higher while he has such room? To maximize the profit of course. That''s how they treat ''loyal'' customer? I don''t think so.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yingh,
I’ve shared the same experience as you for my latest project. I solicitated several bids and once the vendors knew I was getting competitive quotes, everyone’s pricing dropped like flies. They wanted to know who their competitors were and the quotes given. To be fair to all parties, I will not out the names of these vendors but let’s just say that they are our usual Pricescope favourites. And yes, pricing went down several hundred dollars. Frankly, I was rather disappointed not to be given a competitive quote upfront but another PS friend assured me that it’s a normal business practice?
23.gif

ETA
I am a repeat custome for one of these vendors and am new to the other 2 vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results