shape
carat
color
clarity

QUEST CAD Images - Pictures - and Help Requested!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stacy4232

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My BF and I recently purchased a cushion cut diamond and are having a setting made at Quest. (more info here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-my-cushion.42170/)

We recently got the CAD images from Quest and they aren't exactly what I was picturing. I was wondering your thoughts on whether the CAD images typically are a good representation of what the ring will look like. For instance, the CAD images seem to not be "delicate" enough for me - but that might just be the nature of the CAD image and the ring itself might be fine. It just doesn't look "delicate" in the CAD image and I'm afraid it looks to modern (I want it to have a vintage look). But again, it might just be that that is how CAD images come out.

I have a call with Pete at Quest plannedfor Monday to explain my thoughts but was hoping you guys might be able to help me formulate the right things to say. Here is the ring I based my description to Pete on. http://www.icestore.com/gallery/diamond_ring_gallery_detail.asp?ID=130

Here are the CAD images.

Stacy Edwards Image 1.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
CAD images, I feel are not a fair representation of what a ring will look like. They tend to make the ring look super extra bulky. Just check out my CAD images http://www.pricescope.com/forum/steam-room/who-wants-to-see-my-jubilee-halo-cad-images-t39109.html= which look nothing like the end product. They have to have extra metal to polish down for the nice end product you see. Just reconfirm your width of the band if that is what concerns you. Don't worry they'll do a great job and make you happy no matter what
1.gif
Pete is really customer oriented.

ETA: I forgot to add that when my ring was finished, the bezel was way too thick and I was unhappy with the thickness and Pete was more than willing to completely recast the actual halo if it came down to it. Luckily, it didn't have to come to that!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
Stace, I have to agree w/ princess...

Cad images are not always exactly a fair representation of the end product. I''m an engineer and I used to do a lot of CAD stuff before. The difference between the cad representation and your final ring(when you get it) is that it''s still a computer rendering of a non-finished product. I mean, it just depends on the level of one''s expertise in the CAD program he/she is using. I saw some renderings in the past that looked almost like real pictures, and others that weren''t as realistic, but as long as the dimensions and design parameters are correct, then I think you don''t have anything to worry about. Remember, the finished product will be much much smoother...

just my $0.02 :)

Best of luck w/ everything. Please send a pic of the actual ring when you get it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The CAD''s I got from Quest for my asscher looked a bit bulky and heavy too. But that''s the way they are. The end product is much more delicate and beautiful. They have tons of experience at Quest and your ring will be truly stunning. Promise!!!
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The CADs and wax always look a little bigger and bulkier than the final product. As mentioned, the bench jeweler needs the extra metal to work with to achieve the final product. Talk with Pete to calm your fears, but rest assured, it''s going to look delicate, and vintage! Can''t wait to see the final product!

stacy4232

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I can''t wait to have the finished product - I''ll definitely post pictures!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Stacy, are you sure images2 and 3 are finished ones? For the life of me i cant figure out how they can represent other views of the same ring as on image1?
No wonder they look too bulky to you.

stacy4232

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comment - can you explain what doesn''t look the same or what looks unfinished? I am new to CAD images and so I''m not sure what a "finished" one should look like. I have viewed some of the others on Pricescope - which has been very helpful.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 5:36:51 PM
Author: Pricescope
Stacy, are you sure images2 and 3 are finished ones? For the life of me i cant figure out how they can represent other views of the same ring as on image1?

No wonder they look too bulky to you.

They look different to me, also. On image 1 you can see the little bar going under where the head is, but in image 3 its like its just a plain band. And the shape of the head in images 2 and 3 doesn't looks a lot bigger than in image 1. Maybe I am looking at this wrong?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 8:54:43 AM
Author: stacy4232
Thanks for your comment - can you explain what doesn''t look the same or what looks unfinished? I am new to CAD images and so I''m not sure what a ''finished'' one should look like. I have viewed some of the others on Pricescope - which has been very helpful.
Where do i begin?

I have made some but not all points in the drawing for you, including one XChick03 mentioned.

Disclaimer: i have no idea about CAD either, everything is just common isometric sense.
9.gif

CAD_Add.jpg

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hehe I think I can answer this question...Quest''s CAD image software is rather 2d ish so there are limitations in making the end result look finished. For example, in my ring, the melee on the actual band and on the other part of the halo was not ''drawn in'' because of the software limitations (at least that''s the way it was explained to me). Doesn''t hurt though IMHO to call and clarify that everything will be exactly what you want it to be.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 2:31:57 PM
Author: Princess V
Hehe I think I can answer this question...Quest''s CAD image software is rather 2d ish so there are limitations in making the end result look finished. For example, in my ring, the melee on the actual band and on the other part of the halo was not ''drawn in'' because of the software limitations (at least that''s the way it was explained to me). Doesn''t hurt though IMHO to call and clarify that everything will be exactly what you want it to be.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. They don''t do completed ring looking cads, nor do they include anything that will be done by hand which makes them almost more confusing than helpful. I think it was brightspots ring that only had partial cad drawings of the pieces that would be cast. sections of her ring were left out completely. they never even did cads of my ring do the complexity of the design.

Stacy, the Quest guys always do a fabulous job. It''s always a good idea to double check anything you are unsure about but they will do whatever it takes to make you 100% happy.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Not complete - definitely, but it still does not explain why melee holes are made in the shank while they belong to upper shoulders.

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
The cad drawing deifnitely looks incomplete and I think the melee holes were probably just placed in the wrong location, which is easy to do by accident w/ Cad software. They only have that V cut located in one location as the PS admin said...which further makes me think of the CAD drawing as incomplete and inaccurate at this point.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 2:58:43 PM
Not complete - definitely, but it still does not explain why melee holes are made in the shank while they belong to upper shoulders.

very true..I hope stacy comes back and lets us know what Quest said in response to her questions.

stacy4232

Rough_Rock
I spoke to Rose at Quest today and she was very nice and helpful. She said the CAD image did not include much of the detail that would be finished by hand (including milgrain and filligree on the shank). She said the head will not have that bar after the diamond is set but that it is just there to "hold the ring together" until the platinum smith comes along and does his job.

She is sending me over two more CAD images tomorrow with some changes I requested. I will post them here when I get them.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the update stacy..can''t wait to see the new cads.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:00:58 PM
I spoke to Rose at Quest today and she was very nice and helpful. She said the CAD image did not include much of the detail that would be finished by hand (including milgrain and filligree on the shank). She said the head will not have that bar after the diamond is set but that it is just there to ''hold the ring together'' until the platinum smith comes along and does his job.

She is sending me over two more CAD images tomorrow with some changes I requested. I will post them here when I get them.
Did she mention why it does include details which not suppose to be there? And what the purpose of such images being send to customer at all?

Reminds me Seinfeld "shirt shrinking" episode.
20.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:39:31 PM

Date: 4/17/2006 5:00:58 PM
I spoke to Rose at Quest today and she was very nice and helpful. She said the CAD image did not include much of the detail that would be finished by hand (including milgrain and filligree on the shank). She said the head will not have that bar after the diamond is set but that it is just there to ''hold the ring together'' until the platinum smith comes along and does his job.

Did she mention why it does include details which not suppose to be there? And what the purpose of such images being send to customer at all?

Reminds me Seinfeld ''shirt shrinking'' episode.
20.gif
Quest does not send out CAD images or waxes unless you specifically request them (I did but it''s because I am a control freak??)
23.gif

Stacy I can''t wait to see your ring!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 5:42:57 PM

Quest does not send out CAD images or waxes unless you specifically request them (I did but it''s because I am a control freak??)
23.gif

Stacy I can''t wait to see your ring!
I can''t wait to see it too! I''m sure it will be lovely!

We just saw my Quest wax today, and I am so excited
36.gif
They pay such close attention to all of the details that I want, which is a far cry from our previous custom experience.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 7:51:43 PM
Author: icekid

36.gif
They pay such close attention to all of the details that I want, which is a far cry from our previous custom experience.

do we get to see a glimpse of your new Quest project?
31.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 9:17:49 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/17/2006 7:51:43 PM
Author: icekid

36.gif

do we get to see a glimpse of your new Quest project?
31.gif
I second that motion mrssalvo!
31.gif
Sorry for the hijack stacy!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 9:25:59 PM

I second that motion mrssalvo!
31.gif
Sorry for the hijack stacy!
haha, ok- for the loyal Quest fans.. anything! here''s a little sneak peak... oh, and I guess they took the picture of the wax for us, just as it was about to be cast. thus the little bars stuck to the bottom. it''s kind of hard to make out the exact design from the wax, but I guess that will just keep you guys in suspense until I get the real thing
3.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
annnnnnnd how about I actually attach that pic!

stacy- sorry for the threadjack
1.gif

icekidtake2.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the pics Icekid.

very cool..so you are keeping the halo the same, are you doing pave on the shank?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice! When will you be getting the end product?

Something totally off topic..what I love about Quest waxes is the color they use...that''s such a yummy shade of blue...I wonder what color it''s called?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure when we''re getting the ring. My fiance won''t tell me! He is terrible at keeping secrets, so I knew exactly when he was going to propose. So he is supposed to try to surprise me this time..

This ring is actually going to be somewhat different from the old one. The halo is going to have an airline, and I think it will be thinner than the first ring. The shank is going to be paved too, but w/ a split. And no milgraining on this ring either- just diamonds! I can''t wait to see how it comes out.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Icekid,
It looks great!!! I am so excited to see it. I bet you can''t wait!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results