shape
carat
color
clarity

Quartz countertops

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I are thinking of getting our countertops re-modeled. We are looking at Quartz and we love it, but we are looking to hear from someone that has them in their home. Anyone have any experience with this material?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
can''t help you with quartz because we have granite...not the crushed and ''reconstituted'' version but slabs.

one suggestion is just to make sure what the actual up keep is on it and if you''re willing to do whatever it takes. with granite i''m supposed to clean it with a special product every week but i don''t. but then we don''t have kids and i wipe up after putting something down to make sure moisture doesn''t sit there. the test for granite to have to be resealed is if water still sits up on it...if it doesn, then don''t bother. but if it absorbs, then get it done pronto.

i''m sure there are such rules for quarts as well.

movie zombie

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Thanks for the info. That is the exact reason we are looking into Quartz instead of granite. Same look without the negatives such as constant sealing and staining. Any solid surface is great, but we are aiming for Quartz. We love it, but just wanted to hear from someone who is living with it!.
Thanks.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually, i''m quite happy with the granite but like i said we don''t have kids and i''m fanatic about wiping. we inherited it with the house we bought and we''ve been here 2 years. no sure when the granite was installed. so its at a minimum 4-6 years with the original seal and going strong. the ''product'' i''m supposed to use each week is pricey....but because i don''t even use it once every 6 months, its lasting a long time. the granite itself is still really sealed and water just beads up on it. the problem i see is anything like an oil or red wine that stays on it could be a problem....hence my being a fanatic re wiping up spills and just in genera.

good luck.

movie zombie

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We decided to put in Cambria quartz countertops when we remodeled our kitchen last fall and we absolutely LOVE them! They are nonporous so they do not require sealing and you don''t have to worry about stains. The material itself is gorgeous and it looks just like slab granite. The only downside I can see is that it is not available in some of the more dramatic patterns that can occur with granite, but we wanted a less busy pattern anyway. Cost for quartz and granite was about the same in our area. Quartz is still natural stone.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
We have the Zodiaq. We moved into our new house in Nov 2004 and so far, so good.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
We have Cambria as well. They are great. There is no maintenance. I say Go For It!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
MZ- what is the special product you use?

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
i spec. Zodiaq all the time.. it works great and has more visual depth than Corian both are very easy to maintain as well.

granted it doesnt quite have the feel of a stone slab, but it does the trick.

also, dont let the perceived upkeep of granite turn you off from natural stone. granite is VERY resiliant! its is marble that you have to be MUCH more careful with! exp. statuary or calacatta.. (both white). marble is much more pourus and it will soak up coffee & wine..... as well as any sealant you use :)

35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 1:11:19 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
MZ- what is the special product you use?
just saw your question, and then i had to search to find it as it had been so long since i used it! i really don''t use it like i should and i have no problems with the granite. the product:

Stone Tech Professional Revitalizer, Stone & tile cleaner and Protector, manufactured by Stone Tech Professionals, Inc., Walnut Creek, California

18.888-stonehelp

www.stonetechpro.com

i got it from a place that sells tile, etc. paid $10.98 but like i said i don''t use it nearly as often as recommended. i just don''t want to have to reseal it at some point......and i must admit the granite does look good after i use it, though. however, it actually looks good period.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results