shape
carat
color
clarity

Quad Cities IA/IL G2G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
There are actually a few of us as I''ve noticed on the Des Moines thread and the Where are You From? threads! Any interest in a get-together?

Random Sidenote for the QC PSers: I''m a new transplant to the area, so I''m still feeling out the local jewelers. Found JH Revell literally on my first visit - Love it there, they have beautiful inventory AND their gemcutter does concave cuts! Swoon. Are there any other fab blingspots to check out???

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I would be interested in a get-together! What did you have in mind?

I''ve shopped at Allard Jewelers and Expressions (both in the East Village).

I priced an eternity band at JH Revel, but ended up buying from facets.

I''ve also heard that Holland has some nice things, but I haven''t been in there in years.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit further away, but I might be able to run over to IA.
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
YAYYYY! Um...things like when to meet, where to meet, what to do... oh geez, I don''t know! I''m the QC newbie here. :) What does everyone else do for G2Gs? I noticed that the Bay area people are meeting for lunch at a restaurant with "Pricescope" as the reservation name. Any suggestions?

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Lunch would be good...

I''m more familiar with the Iowa restaurants. Biaggis, Granite City, Centro is closed (used to be one of my favorites), various mexican spots, Exotic Thai

Illinois side -- Brown Bottle, La Flama, Portobello

I''m open to any suggestions.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Centro closed?! Man! Every time we''d drive by I''d tell DH that I want to go there at some point.

All sound like good suggestions - I''ve never been to GC (but I know where it is! I''m actually getting to the point where I know where I''m going if I''m on the IA side) and Biaggi''s always has great lunch.

Off-topic side question: Have you been to Duck City Bistro? DH and I went there for New Year''s, the food was absolutely excellent, but the prices were twice (or more) what we saw listed on the website. Are their entrees normally in the $30-60 range or was it just because it was New Years? And do they do a more reasonable lunch?

When do we want to get together? I''m thinking we try to bump this thread a couple more times so the other IL/IA PSers can see it. I know there are more than 3 of us!

SomethingShiny - since you''re probably the farthest out, when is best for you?

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been to Duck City, but not for a couple of years. That seems high to me so maybe the entrees were increased for New Year''s. I''d say in the $20-30 range and not what you mentioned. It is in the highest price range in the city though. My all-time favorite restaurant in the area is Red Crow Grille (in the plaze off 53rd and 18th in Bettendorf). They are pricey too, but FABULOUS! Of course, we always drive the cost up with a nice bottle of wine! :)

I would think lunch prices would be more reasonable. I used to go there for lunch all the time mid-week a few years back (I work right around the corner). I could certainly stop in and investigate the lunch menu.

Are you thinking about a Saturday for meeting? I''m pretty open these days now that the holidays are behind us.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I live about 200 miles from there in central Illinois. Certainly not out of the question considering my only other choice has been a Chicago GTG.....

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm about 2/2.5 hours away from Davenport, so lunch sounds good to me. I stay home, but DH works second shift. So, if we're talking mid-week, I can get a sitter. Or if it's a Sat, I'll have to make sure DH can get off. (he works a ton of OT)

Don't let my schedule dictate anything, but:
this Saturday, 12th, I have a baby-shower
next Saturday, 19th, my nephew's first birthday party
the following Sat 26 is my SIL's due date
After that, my Saturdays are open until the end of Feb.

I have no opinion on where to go except that I'd rather not go to a really pricey place. I don't know my way around much more than the shopping districts, so something easy to find would be good, too. (preferably near jewelry, for a little window-shopping.
2.gif
)

ETA-Starset, if you don't mind me asking, how "central" are you. I live about 40 minutes North of Peoria.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Good call on the $ and the location. Biaggi's is around $7-8 for sandwiches and personal pizzas, a little more expensive for pasta entrees. I'm on a budget this spring, so I wouldn't really want to go expensive, either. Utica Ridge is the...3rd? 4th? exit off of 74 on the IA side, and Necker's jewelers is across the street if we wanted to window shop (um..in the store, right?! ;-). So that could be good...?

But if more people are coming from the IL side, maybe we could save a few mins and meet in Rock Island or Moline?

What is most central for everyone?

ETA: A Saturday for lunch would probably be the best, right? Do we want to do this soon or wait a bit?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
If we wait a bit, and plan ahead, maybe more PSers could come. But, I think that depends on kids, too. Once we get into Spring, the kids are going to have their sports on Saturdays. (not mine, he''s only 2
2.gif
)

I actually prefer Davenport to Moline or RI. And, I haven''t been into Necker''s for years. (yes, we can window shop from the inside of the window!! I''ll be happy to try on jewels and help others spend their money. Although, if we go after tax-returns.....
10.gif
)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 4:11:50 PM
Author: somethingshiny

ETA-Starset, if you don''t mind me asking, how ''central'' are you. I live about 40 minutes North of Peoria.
I hail from the Decatur area so I''d probably drive right through Peoria to get there...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Good call on waiting a bit - even though we''re having the lovely global warming dip, the rest of January could get hairy weather-wise, too. Maybe we should try to set a date for late Feb or even early March? (and also gives more PSers to find us and plan! - I think we''ll need to bump our thread a few more times, too).

LOL, yes, I too am VERY supportive of others and their quest for more sparklies, even if I can''t increase my own collection just yet ;-)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 4:38:32 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Date: 1/8/2008 4:11:50 PM

Author: somethingshiny

ETA-Starset, if you don''t mind me asking, how ''central'' are you. I live about 40 minutes North of Peoria.

I hail from the Decatur area so I''d probably drive right through Peoria to get there...

hmmmm....we should keep a carpool in mind (?)
1.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Starset, no way!!! We moved here from Decatur. I think it was about 2.5 hours when we first came up here - we''d drive through Lincoln to 74/Peoria and then take 74 the rest of the way. It''s not too bad of a drive, just gets boring around Galesburg.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m good with waiting. When a few more people stop by, we can pick a date.
1.gif

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
No problem on waiting...

Elmorton -- we could always meet sooner since we''re both local. I''m pretty open during these cold, winter months. I''m on a spending diet myself, but would always be interested in browsing!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dancingqueen- that would be awesome! The next week or so is a little crazy for me since I''m starting up a new semester (and looking for additional part-time work, ick to the job search!) but after that, I would love to meet up.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Let me know when you''re free. It would be great to meet a new LOCAL diamond-lover!!

Are you a teacher?

What type of part-time work are you looking for?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Yupp, I teach English. My emphasis was community college teaching, and I have an MA so I''m only "certified" to teach freshman/sophomore level college coursework (not licensed to teach HS). I was set to teach a couple extra sections, but enrollment in IA is down a bit, so now it''s a mad dash to find anything, since almost everyone is ready to start classes. I''m looking into subbing in the IL public schools and also some tutoring. I''m kinda freaked out that I might have to look outside of my field just to have some income...I really don''t want to do that because I love what I do. Anyway-

I''m excited to meet a local diamond lover, too! If DH hears any more about diamonds/jewelry, I think he''s going to hurl.
2.gif

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
My mother is a high school English teacher (in Maryland).

Good luck with the job search! Have you considered any of the local temp agencies? Might be worth looking into...

I haven''t been in the local job market for a while so I really don''t have any other great advice. I actually found my job in the QC Times when I first moved to the QC.

My sister-in-law does some type of work for the Board of Education in IL and I could always point you in her direction. Although, I really don''t know what her job entails.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dancingqueen, so I got more bad news today - another class of mine got cut. BUT, per your advice, I opened up the Times and may have actually found something that might work.

Do you know anything about Ashford University in Clinton??

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about the class
7.gif

No, I do not know anything about Ashford.

An acquaintance/friend of mine works for the Eastern Iowa Community College District. I really don''t know exactly what she does, but she wouldn''t mind if I asked her some questions. Another co-worker friend is on the alumni board at St Ambrose (he used to be the president of the alumni board). That''s about the extent of my "education connections". I''ll ask my co-worker friend tomorrow if he has heard of Ashford.

I hope this response made sense... my cat is practically sitting on my laptop and not letting me work!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
The only thing I''ve heard about Ashford isn''t positive, but the source was an acquaintance and I don''t know whether to take it seriously or not. But at this point...a job is a job.

One of our kitties has a thing for my laptop, too! When I was in grad school, sometimes I''d have to type while his head was resting on my hands, because he would flat out refuse to move. Well done for a coherent response - Morty has a tendency to move and delete things on me :)

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I asked my coworker friend about Ashford. He didn''t know much about it, but said he thought it was basically a community college with a new University name. (Not that there is anything wrong with community college!) I think he said something about they recently changed their name and used to be a comm. college? Other than that, he really didn''t know anything positive or negative about it.

I wouldn''t let "negative" comments keep me from exploring any potential opportunities though.

Good luck!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results