shape
carat
color
clarity

Qtiekiki-Strollers -Quinny Buzz or Foray?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Qtiekiki this is mainly for you, but if anyone else has input let me know :) I'm just debating between the Quinny Buzz 4 and the Maxi Cosi Foray. Have you seen the Foray at BRU? I played with the Foray at BRU and liked it pretty well. But how does it compare to the Quinny? I've watched videos of the Buzz online, but haven't found one at a store that I can play with.

I have found some sweet deals on both the Foray ($260) and the Buzz ($349), but I need to decide if it's worth $89 more to buy the Buzz. The features that pull me towards the Buzz instead of the Foray is that the Buzz can fold with the seat attached, don't have to take it off like you do on the Foray. And the folding and unfolding seems easier on the Buzz.

QT did you use the Maxi Cosi Mico seat with your Buzz frame? What are you going to do with baby#2 on the way? Do you wish you had a stroller that could hold both kids?

So many questions :) But thank you in advance!
9.gif

ETA: Oh, and I haven't seen any mention of the canopy in any reviews. Is it too small for SoCal sunny weather, keeping all that sun of your baby?

Foray
Foray at BRU

Quinny Buzz 4

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sunkist!
We have the Maxi Cosi Foray and even though we are still expecting, I figure I''d give it a review as a former nanny to two infants and a preschooler. We actually debated over these two!

The folding mechanism on the Foray is a bit of a pain in the patoot. Ok, reword that, it''s a complete and utter PITA until you learn how to do it. Haha. But that is my only complaint, seriously. And since you aren''t in a city where you need to worry about public transportation, I think that''s the least of your worries.

Why we chose the Foray over the Buzz:

Basket: Babies require a lot of stuff and the older they get, the more stuff they get. It can become ridiculous really. But in all honesty, a bigger basket is a huge plus. The bigger it is and the easier it is to get into, the better. You''ll have your purse and a diaper bag (or a combo that''ll be bigger than an average purse) and a small basket can ruin an outing. I had access to quite a few different strollers when I was nanny between the two infants (different families). The thing that always drove me nuts was the tiny baskets on the strollers that I used. Nothing says "Kill me. Kill me now." like a baby screaming for something and you''re struggling to take the bag out of the basket to get the prized item. This, along with adjustable handles (which they both have), was my number one reason for picking the Foray.

Canopy: The canopy is larger on the Foray and I know you asked about that. The canopy on the Foray will give better sun protection, IMO.

Stupid reasons: It has a cup-holder. Haha. Really though, I''m massively dehydrated all the time and I love that this feature was included. The brake was easier for us to use on the Foray.

Cons: The fold, as I said, isn''t the funnest. The Buzz totally wins on that one! They are both kind of heavy and take up a bit of room, so think about the kind of car you have.

I think you''d be happy with either stroller in all honesty. They are very, very similar.

Cheers!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
We looked at both and ended up deciding on the UppaBaby Vista. Way more expensive, but it felt way better to us. Bigger basket, adjustable handle height (we're both 6' tall), easier to fold, change seat position on etc. It felt much better constructed than the Foray. It also has HUGE SPF 50 canopy extensions on both the bassinet and seat attachments, which I'm in love with (I'm very very white with freckles and burn to a crisp in minutes outside - can't imagine my baby will fare much better). There's also a rumble seat attachment you can get for when you add kid #2 for the mix later on.

I have to say, the Foray was my initial plan, but we tried a couple out at BRU that had two on display. On one, the handle no longer telescoped, even though there was no obvious damage. And we had HUGE issues trying to switch from seat to car seat or get the seat off. In the end, it just started to feel kind of flimsy and cheap to us.

The Quinny was never really a real option for us. Tiny basket, heavy, large wheel base. We decided we'd rather spend more money and go for the UppaBaby.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We did check out the Foray in BRU before we bought the Buzz. I found out about the Foray after we checked out the Buzz, and wanted to play with the Foray before deciding since they are both made by the same parent company and have similar features. Features wise they are very much similar. The main reason we got the Buzz over the Foray, despite the large price difference at that time, was the folding and unfolding mechanic. From what I remembered, it's like a four steps process to close the Foray, like you have to take the seat out, push button #1 then #2, fold over, and then do some other things. It was a PITA, and DH hated having to do so much. To be honest though, I don't think it would've made a difference in the long ride b/c you will get used to opening and closing it. It'll just be frustrating in the beginning. The basket and canopy on the Buzz are small. But we don't use the basket much b/c I either hang the messenger style diaper bag on the handle or wear a backpack.

We didn't use the Maxi Cosi infant seat with the stroller; we use a convertible carseat since birth. We got the dreami bassinet and used that. The stroller comes with the infant seat adaptor, which is very similar to the bassinet adaptor, and the bassinet goes on and off very easily (we had used the bassinet to take Meena in and out of restaurants and the house).

In the beginning, I plan to mostly wear baby #2 and use the strollers with Meena, or use the two strollers when I go out with DH or my parents. I don't plan to get a double stroller or a sit-n-stand, but we'll just see how it goes after the baby gets here. I just hate to get one, and then don't really need it since Meena is at the age where she doesn't want to be in the stroller too much.

Both strollers are great, you just have to decide what's more important to you.

ETA: I like the UppaBaby Vista features too, but we ended up not getting it bc DH just thinks the Buzz looks better with nicer color and that it was cool how it opens with one touch.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sunkist let me just say that if the Foray is a PITA to fold and you live ANYWHERE where you will be needing to fold it on a daily basis (like the suburbs) I would get something else. Seriously. There is NOTHING more of a pain than a stroller that is a pain to fold if you have to do it all the time.

Just my .02.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Cello -thanks so much for sharing your reasons for picking Foray over the Buzz. I really liked the basket on the Foray too and the canopy!

Drk - I actually wish I could get the UppaBaby Vista. I saw it at the airport while traveling this week and I loved the look of it! The reason that's really keeping me from buying it is that it doesn't take the Maxi Cosi Mico carseat, which I have. I guess I could get a new carseat... But I love my Mico too! Hmmmm. But I love the idea of having a double stroller since I do plan on having a second kidlet as soon as Wesley is 2 or 3 yrs old.

QT - thank you so much for your reply. You made me remember that to solve the basket thing on the Quinny I could attach my Petunia Picklebottom baby bag (which I haven't used yet) to the handle bars and just sort of let it be a permanent attachment if I need the extra space. I can easily detach it when I fold up the Quinny too! Right now I have the Phil and Ted stroller and it's sort of a pain in the butt to fold and unfold. And then I do like how the Foray has a handle to lift it up by once it is all folded. That makes it easier to lift since these are more on the heavy side.
QT, is it a pain for you to lift the Quinny into your car?

NeatFreak - thanks for your opinion! I know there were so many steps. Also, the unlocking device on the Foray was always difficult to release while playing with it in the store. It looks like the Quinny has a new release that is much easier.

Well I guess I haven't made a final decision yet... I wonder if the Quinny would resale better than the Foray if I do want to sell it once baby#2 comes along?

ETA: or I guess I could just keep the P&T, maybe I'll still want it when baby#2 comes, and in the mean time use one of these strollers. I bought the P&T from REI so I can really return it anytime I want if I think it wont work for us.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you don't like the P&T? I liked that one a heck of a lot better in person than the buzz when I was helping a friend look at single strollers.

But I think I am with DRK that the Vista is one of my favorite all terrain single strollers.

FWIW I do think the buzz would have a better resale value because the foray isn't a very well known stroller while the buzz is better known IMO. But it's also more expensive in the first place so things probably would even out.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sunkist the only thing i have to add is that i saw the maxi cosi in person along with the quinny and i didn''t like the footprint of the MC as much as the Buzz. the buzz is my favorite stroller hands down out of every stroller i have seen from a visual and size perspective. the MC seemed so much bigger, i don''t know that it IS...but if you have not seen them in person, def check them out side by side if possible. good luck!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
What I don't like about the phil&teds is that it's difficult to fold and unfold. Maybe I haven't used it enough for it to become easy for me. But I think it's difficult to even find the unlocking mechanism!

I don't like the recline positions or the way you recline it to those positions. Way to tricky and involved. It doesn't seem you could easily lay a sleeping child down from the sitting up position.

I also don't like that the handle bar is directly on the ground when in the folded position. This seems dirty to me when you're in the parking lot and you're folding or unfolding the stroller. I can't figure out another way than the handle bar has to be directly on the ground!

Anyways, those are the reasons that come to mind.

eta: Oh, and you always have to remember to move the basket out of the way when folding or it won't lock.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 2:17:22 PM
Author: Mara
sunkist the only thing i have to add is that i saw the maxi cosi in person along with the quinny and i didn't like the footprint of the MC as much as the Buzz. the buzz is my favorite stroller hands down out of every stroller i have seen from a visual and size perspective. the MC seemed so much bigger, i don't know that it IS...but if you have not seen them in person, def check them out side by side if possible. good luck!

Mara, ya i'm looking for a store near me that carries the Buzz so i can see in person, but havent found one yet. I would think that around here there would be lots of places that carry high end strollers. I guess I just havent found them yet.

I just took out my P&T and remembered another thing i'm not crazy about is the foot brake. I cant set it and unset it with my foot alone. I have to end up bending down and using my hand. I think thats lame.

eta: maybe i just got the wrong phil&teds. The Dash has a hand brake and a trigger folding mechanism. The Vibe has these features too and it can fold with the doubles seat even attached to the back. I might like those better when I have two kiddos.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Ditto NF on the resale value.

The Buzz is not a light stroller, but it''s not that heavier that I can''t lift it in and out of my car. I can still lift it now that I am 8 months pregnant with no problem. I hold it with one hand on the handle bar and one hand on the foot rest.

How old is Wesley now? I know you want something compatible with the infant seat, but you''ll use that at most for the whole first year. Even though I love the Buzz for us, it seems like the UppaBaby Vista might serve you better in the long run when you have baby #2.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
I''m pretty sure we saw the Buzz and the Foray at BRU. Not sure if all stores carry both, but I''d call around and check it out.

I loved the MC Mico car seat too and was sad when we couldn''t get it to go along with the Vista. But we''ll spend a lot more time getting use out of the stroller than the car seat, and won''t probably be driving around a ton and then needing the stroller at the other end. We ended up getting the Chicco KeyFit to go with the Vista instead. Not sure why we liked the Vista so much more than the Buzz, but the Buzz just didn''t do it for us at all. And we liked that the large tires on the Vista aren''t air-filled either, so no need to lug around a pump or worry about punctures. I think some of the online reviews I''d read about the Foray said that the wheels cost a ton to replace if you got a flat.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
QT, Wesley is seven weeks. So he''ll be in the carrier still for a while.

Im going to try to find a place open tomorrow that has these models. Thanks!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ok, small update :) I went to check out the Buzz. It was pretty good. I do think I like the Foray better. Only thing that I prefer on the Buzz is that the seat doesn''t have to remove to fold the whole stroller. I wish the Foray didnt have to b in two pieces.

I saw so many people today with strollers compatible with the maxi cosi mico carseat! I saw someone with a Foray, someone with a Buzz and someone with a Bugaboo! I didn''t realize Bugaboo had an adapter for the MC Mico. But that one is too expensive for me anyways.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hey there... one of my friends has the Foray. She doesn't love it. She complains about the sun shade not being big enough. When I go walking with her, it seems to make a lot of noise (like creaking). It also takes her a while to get it in and out of the car.

I don't know anyone with the Buzz. Doesn't seem to have caught on where I live. I like the looks of it, but it's strange that it has no basket included! If they are close in price I personally would get the buzz since I think it's a higher end stroller (so probably better quality), not to mention the folding thing would be VERY important to me as a suburban mom!

About the carseat, you could always use a snap and go if necessary. It seems like they cost about the same as adapters do for some strollers!

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear you''re figuring out what you like. Hope you had an easier time taking the seat or car seat off the Foray frame than we did - I could get it off maybe one of 10 tries? If you want to snap-and-go with the mico (I assume you can use them together), then you can get pretty much any stroller you want. It''s very tough deciding these things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results