shape
carat
color
clarity

Q for the pet owners here....do you ever thought about....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 11:47:11 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 8/21/2008 11:43:46 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 8/21/2008 11:32:10 AM
HA hahahaha!!! Oh, don''t even ask!!!
20.gif

We have three fish tanks (two freshwater, one saltwater), a horse (Thoroughbred gelding) and three large dogs (a black lab/mutt mix, a black lab/pit bull mix, and a purebred Great Dane).

Fish food is pretty cheap ~ probably less than $5.00 per month. (Fish monthly total = @$5.00)

Dog food and supplements is probably somewhere around $70.00 per month, and dog grooming is $40.00 per month. (Dog monthly total = @$110.00)

Board for my horse is $325.00 per month. His supplements are around $50.00 per month, and the farrier bill is about $20.00 per month. (Horse monthly total = @$395.00)

So, grand total, we probably spend about $510.00 per month on our pets!!!
emembarrassed.gif
the horses used to cost me a lot more than $395 per month.
39.gif
Oh, DF, you used to have horses? What kind and did you keep them at home or board them?
21.gif

I''m pretty lucky . . . I found a GREAT boarding barn about half an hour from my house, and they only charge $325 per month. They have a brand new barn with a brand new (and HUGE!) indoor arena attached, and also a very large outdoor arena. There are a lot of barns in our area that aren''t nearly as nice and charge a good bit more per month.
20.gif
Irish
board them.....at the HORSE TRACK !!
i used to go to the horse track and feed them a lot of
22.gif
every night if you know what i mean
2.gif
40.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 5:24:26 PM
Author: goldenstar
Yes and its not that much. Food, grooming and health insurance. Occasionally toys and clothes. =)

Health insurance has saved us a bundle. Both of our dogs have needed costly surgery in the past and the insurance reimbursed us 90% of the cost. Insurance is the best decision I ever made.
/minithreadjack I''ve been toying with this idea...would you mind telling me what company you use, and if you''re happy with them? Did you research a lot of companies before you settled on this one? /endminithreadjack

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 6:48:34 PM

20.gif

We have three fish tanks (two freshwater, one saltwater), a horse (Thoroughbred gelding) and three large dogs (a black lab/mutt mix, a black lab/pit bull mix, and a purebred Great Dane).

Fish food is pretty cheap ~ probably less than $5.00 per month. (Fish monthly total = @$5.00)

Dog food and supplements is probably somewhere around $70.00 per month, and dog grooming is $40.00 per month. (Dog monthly total = @$110.00)

Board for my horse is $325.00 per month. His supplements are around $50.00 per month, and the farrier bill is about $20.00 per month. (Horse monthly total = @$395.00)

emembarrassed.gif
39.gif
Oh, DF, you used to have horses? What kind and did you keep them at home or board them?
21.gif

I''m pretty lucky . . . I found a GREAT boarding barn about half an hour from my house, and they only charge $325 per month. They have a brand new barn with a brand new (and HUGE!) indoor arena attached, and also a very large outdoor arena. There are a lot of barns in our area that aren''t nearly as nice and charge a good bit more per month.
20.gif
Irish
22.gif
2.gif
40.gif
LOL! DF, my horse used to race years ago, before I owned him . . . maybe he even won you some money in the past! Did you ever place any bets at Woodbine or Philly Park? Do you remember betting on a horse named "Lucky F"?
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 8:39:46 PM

20.gif

emembarrassed.gif
39.gif
21.gif

20.gif
Irish
22.gif
2.gif
40.gif
LOL! DF, my horse used to race years ago, before I owned him . . . maybe he even won you some money in the past! Did you ever place any bets at Woodbine or Philly Park? Do you remember betting on a horse named ''Lucky F''?
9.gif
23.gif
your horse name was "LUCKY F***ER"?
9.gif

don''t think so. i''m in Ca. this was before the computer days.
2.gif

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
OMG like a gazillion dollars! My cats are so spoiled! They get:

Premium grain free cat food (wet and dry)
Special corn husk cat litter
tons of treats
two automatic waterers (petmate and drinkwell)
an automatic timed feeder
just bought them a fancy cat post that looks like nice furntiure
Joint supplements
Brushes (furminator) and rehydrant spray (which they hate but I love)
Kitty shampoo
a million toys esp Yeowww catnip ones
and they are getting a fancy custom made wooden cat box that looks like a really nice peice of furniture

When my cat had an eye infection he went to a feline Opthamologist. (not fun but it had to be done)

yeeeeah, I spend a lot on my cats...I don''t even want to try to add it up.
38.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and they are worth every penny
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/21/2008 9:08:19 PM

Date: 8/21/2008 8:39:46 PM

20.gif

emembarrassed.gif
39.gif
21.gif

20.gif
Irish
22.gif
2.gif
40.gif
LOL! DF, my horse used to race years ago, before I owned him . . . maybe he even won you some money in the past! Did you ever place any bets at Woodbine or Philly Park? Do you remember betting on a horse named ''Lucky F''?
9.gif
23.gif
your horse name was ''LUCKY F***ER''?
9.gif

don''t think so. i''m in Ca. this was before the computer days.
2.gif
Hee hee! That''s exactly what I thought when I got him and found out what his registered name is! I have no idea what the "F" in "Lucky F" really stands for, though.
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I currently only have gerbils (gotta wait til our lives settle down before getting a dog) so I pay almost nothing! Every few months I buy them some food and bedding for $15 and that's it. Gotta love cheap pets
1.gif
The $15 is well worth it for the entertainment they provide.

Though I had one gerbil once that needed surgery ... they may be small, but the vet bills are still huge! I hopefully won't have to go through that again.

ETA: I'm extremely jealous of you horse owners. I'd get one if I could board for $300 a month. Unfortunately, boarding out here is $1000 a month
23.gif
and lessons alone are $300 a month (which is why I'm not riding right now). It's like renting a second apartment ... except it's 12'x12' and covered in straw and poop. The horse will have to wait until (a) we move somewhere cheap or (b) we strike it rich and can afford an extra $1000 a month. I'm crossing my fingers for option b
31.gif

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
Just got one little cat now, and he doesn''t cost much at all!

I wouldn''t have thought your fish were expensive to run DF....but they''re uber expensive to buy. Especially if they don''t live very long, or a bird swoops down and eats one!
39.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2008 6:27:40 PM
Author: merlinthecat
Just got one little cat now, and he doesn't cost much at all!

I wouldn't have thought your fish were expensive to run DF....but they're uber expensive to buy. Especially if they don't live very long, or a bird swoops down and eats one!
39.gif
the fish pond probably cost about $100 per month in electricity plus fish food. my Amazon parrot don't cost much per month.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
This month has been an abnormally expensive month, but in general things are pretty cheap. On average, Lola costs me under $20. Now that Ezra''s joined the family, I''m not sure what it will be, but it shouldn''t be too bad.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
<-- Wouldn't matter what Boo costs us, he's worth every penny of it, and far MORE!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Can't imagine our lives without him!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My doggies are worth every penny so is the bird. The joy they give us is priceless.
5.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the cat is part of our monthly budget plus extra in case she gets hurt or ill. I don''t think that we''d ave enough should she truly get very ill, it could add up very quickly, but the cat is accounted for in the budget.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 11:24:34 AM
Author: elrohwen
I currently only have gerbils (gotta wait til our lives settle down before getting a dog) so I pay almost nothing! Every few months I buy them some food and bedding for $15 and that''s it. Gotta love cheap pets
1.gif

Though I had one gerbil once that needed surgery ... they may be small, but the vet bills are still huge! I hopefully won''t have to go through that again.

ETA: I''m extremely jealous of you horse owners. I''d get one if I could board for $300 a month. Unfortunately, boarding out here is $1000 a month
23.gif
and lessons alone are $300 a month (which is why I''m not riding right now). It''s like renting a second apartment ... except it''s 12''x12'' and covered in straw and poop. The horse will have to wait until (a) we move somewhere cheap or (b) we strike it rich and can afford an extra $1000 a month. I''m crossing my fingers for option b
31.gif
WOW, Elrohwen!
23.gif

Do you mind if I ask where you live (general area)? I know that the area where I live is pretty inexpensive as far as board and lessons go, but $1,000 per month for board and $300 per month for lessons just seems outrageous!!!
32.gif

I''m paying $325 per month for board, and the facility is VERY nice . . . one of the best ones (if not THE best) in this area. The $325 per month includes daily feeding (with feed provided by the barn), daily turnout, worming, and he has his very own stall and I have my own tack locker. (And the tack locker is HUGE ~ I think I could store a body in there if I had to! LOL!) The only things I have to pay for myself are farrier bills, supplements and vet bills. I think they really could easily get away with charging $400 or even $450 per month for board at my barn, but I''m glad they don''t!
2.gif

As far as lessons go, you can get a private one-hour lesson for around $40 to $50, and group lessons are cheaper (usually around $25 per hour).
22.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 8:32:39 PM
Author: claudinam

Yes and its not that much. Food, grooming and health insurance. Occasionally toys and clothes. =)

Health insurance has saved us a bundle. Both of our dogs have needed costly surgery in the past and the insurance reimbursed us 90% of the cost. Insurance is the best decision I ever made.

/minithreadjack I''ve been toying with this idea...would you mind telling me what company you use, and if you''re happy with them? Did you research a lot of companies before you settled on this one? /endminithreadjack

We use VPI and I''m very happy with them. There weren''t very many insurance companies when we got our policy so I just went with the most long-established one. Pet insurance is mostly for accidents and illnesses, not so much for routine care. I think the website is www.VPI.com.

Our policy has paid for itself for a few years. My dog''s $2000 surgery only cost me around $200 out of pocket. However, you have to pay the costs up front and get reimbursed later. So you have to be able to pay at the the time of the treatment.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 11:52:45 AM

I currently only have gerbils (gotta wait til our lives settle down before getting a dog) so I pay almost nothing! Every few months I buy them some food and bedding for $15 and that''s it. Gotta love cheap pets
1.gif

Though I had one gerbil once that needed surgery ... they may be small, but the vet bills are still huge! I hopefully won''t have to go through that again.

ETA: I''m extremely jealous of you horse owners. I''d get one if I could board for $300 a month. Unfortunately, boarding out here is $1000 a month
23.gif
and lessons alone are $300 a month (which is why I''m not riding right now). It''s like renting a second apartment ... except it''s 12''x12'' and covered in straw and poop. The horse will have to wait until (a) we move somewhere cheap or (b) we strike it rich and can afford an extra $1000 a month. I''m crossing my fingers for option b
31.gif
WOW, Elrohwen!
23.gif

Do you mind if I ask where you live (general area)? I know that the area where I live is pretty inexpensive as far as board and lessons go, but $1,000 per month for board and $300 per month for lessons just seems outrageous!!!
32.gif

I''m paying $325 per month for board, and the facility is VERY nice . . . one of the best ones (if not THE best) in this area. The $325 per month includes daily feeding (with feed provided by the barn), daily turnout, worming, and he has his very own stall and I have my own tack locker. (And the tack locker is HUGE ~ I think I could store a body in there if I had to! LOL!) The only things I have to pay for myself are farrier bills, supplements and vet bills. I think they really could easily get away with charging $400 or even $450 per month for board at my barn, but I''m glad they don''t!
2.gif

As far as lessons go, you can get a private one-hour lesson for around $40 to $50, and group lessons are cheaper (usually around $25 per hour).
22.gif

Hey Emm. I currently live in western Connecticut, which explains the high boarding prices. Most places are $1000+ for monthly board (full care, same as what you have) and lessons are about $55-60 per half hour (private). Group lessons are about the same price, but for an hour. It''s hard to find a good group though because most group lesson riders around here are beginners. By the time they''ve put in as many years in the saddle as I have, they move up to getting their own horses. I''m still trying to find a place to take lessons that is close enough to my house and reasonably priced, but I haven''t found what I''m looking for (a surprising number of places don''t keep school horses). And as far as horse ownership, I''ll probably have to be far away from here to be able to afford it.
3.gif
It is extremely ridiculous that my rent is only slightly more than the cost to board a horse. All the super rich people out here driving up the prices for the rest of us
38.gif

I grew up in Pennsylvania and rode at a super nice barn where board was $1000 per month as well. Since my parents never planned on buying me a horse, I think they got me lessons at an expensive barn to make up for it
2.gif
It was actually worth it I think since I often got to ride the retired show jumpers who (in their youth) were worth as much as my parents'' house. There were definitely barns in the area that were much cheaper though.

Where do you live that you can get such great board? I travel to Ohio a lot and a woman there keeps two horses for $200 a month each. Almost makes me want to move to rural Ohio ...

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:51:59 PM

We use VPI and I''m very happy with them. There weren''t very many insurance companies when we got our policy so I just went with the most long-established one. Pet insurance is mostly for accidents and illnesses, not so much for routine care. I think the website is www.VPI.com.

Our policy has paid for itself for a few years. My dog''s $2000 surgery only cost me around $200 out of pocket. However, you have to pay the costs up front and get reimbursed later. So you have to be able to pay at the the time of the treatment.
I wanted to do this when I first got my dog so thanks for the recommendation. I probably should think about it now that he''s getting older.

I don''t think about the cost of my pets every month. I dont'' have to buy stuff every month except cat litter. My cat is on a special hypoallergenic diet which cost 50 bucks for 10lb bag but I''m used to it. The only thing I hate doling out money to order is the mass order of heart guart and advantage for both pets periodocally, ouch. I don''t count it up though. I consider them a necessary and probably low cost expense...now that they have 100000 toys. Periodically I get new ones but I''m conservative about it now.

Oh wait, I forgot my dog gets groomed/cut every four weeks, that''s about 60 bucks. That''s probably the big expense other than food.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2008 8:51:59 PM

Goldenstar, sorry I missed your response! Thanks for explaining and for telling me who you use, it''s so helpful to know you''re happy with them - it sounds worth it.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
When Byron was in doggy daycare every day it was close to $1,000/month, but now that he''s older and D''s at home every day it''s around to $250/month. We got hit with some hefty vet bills this year, but to be completely honest dog ownership isn''t costing us quite as much as I thought it would. We''re in the process of getting newf #2 right now, so our vet bills will spike again soon. I''m seriously considering pet healthy insurance--we looked into it when we got Byron, but only one insurer covered pre-existing conditions and it was outrageously expensive, so we just put money aside in a vet fund and it''s been cheaper than the insurance. Still, with 2, I''m wondering if we should make the switch.

We figure that a second newf won''t double our expenses, but it does require a $20,000+ SUV purchase, so our bank account will definitely be taking a hit!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2008 1:09:38 PM

1.gif

23.gif
31.gif
WOW, Elrohwen!
23.gif

32.gif

2.gif

22.gif

Hey Emm. I currently live in western Connecticut, which explains the high boarding prices. Most places are $1000+ for monthly board (full care, same as what you have) and lessons are about $55-60 per half hour (private). Group lessons are about the same price, but for an hour. It''s hard to find a good group though because most group lesson riders around here are beginners. By the time they''ve put in as many years in the saddle as I have, they move up to getting their own horses. I''m still trying to find a place to take lessons that is close enough to my house and reasonably priced, but I haven''t found what I''m looking for (a surprising number of places don''t keep school horses). And as far as horse ownership, I''ll probably have to be far away from here to be able to afford it.
3.gif
It is extremely ridiculous that my rent is only slightly more than the cost to board a horse. All the super rich people out here driving up the prices for the rest of us
38.gif

I grew up in Pennsylvania and rode at a super nice barn where board was $1000 per month as well. Since my parents never planned on buying me a horse, I think they got me lessons at an expensive barn to make up for it
2.gif
It was actually worth it I think since I often got to ride the retired show jumpers who (in their youth) were worth as much as my parents'' house. There were definitely barns in the area that were much cheaper though.

Where do you live that you can get such great board? I travel to Ohio a lot and a woman there keeps two horses for $200 a month each. Almost makes me want to move to rural Ohio ...
Ahhhh, that explains it! I''ve heard that everything is much more expensive where you are!
22.gif

I live in the sticks, in a little town in southcentral Pennsylvania, about five minutes north of the Mason-Dixon line. The closest good-sized town is Hagerstown, Maryland, if that helps. I''m very lucky that I found my barn! There are a lot of opportunities for inexpensive board around here, but you usually get what you pay for. The barn we''re at is probably the nicest one in the area, and I''m lucky that they only charge $325 per month. I think it helps that it''s also a training barn, and they make most of their money off the training clients . . . of which I used to be one! Red (my horse) was in training there for about six months, and I liked the place so much that we just stayed after his training was over! OK, get ready to be really amazed: The trainer at our barn is probably one of the best (if not the best) in our area. He even has some clients in Europe who ship horses to him for training! Full training board was . . . $600 per month!
emembarrassed.gif

Move here and we can ride together!!!
9.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2008 2:41:00 PM

Date: 8/31/2008 1:09:38 PM

I currently only have gerbils (gotta wait til our lives settle down before getting a dog) so I pay almost nothing! Every few months I buy them some food and bedding for $15 and that's it. Gotta love cheap pets
1.gif

Though I had one gerbil once that needed surgery ... they may be small, but the vet bills are still huge! I hopefully won't have to go through that again.

ETA: I'm extremely jealous of you horse owners. I'd get one if I could board for $300 a month. Unfortunately, boarding out here is $1000 a month
23.gif
and lessons alone are $300 a month (which is why I'm not riding right now). It's like renting a second apartment ... except it's 12'x12' and covered in straw and poop. The horse will have to wait until (a) we move somewhere cheap or (b) we strike it rich and can afford an extra $1000 a month. I'm crossing my fingers for option b
31.gif
WOW, Elrohwen!
23.gif

32.gif

I'm paying $325 per month for board, and the facility is VERY nice . . . one of the best ones (if not THE best) in this area. The $325 per month includes daily feeding (with feed provided by the barn), daily turnout, worming, and he has his very own stall and I have my own tack locker. (And the tack locker is HUGE ~ I think I could store a body in there if I had to! LOL!) The only things I have to pay for myself are farrier bills, supplements and vet bills. I think they really could easily get away with charging $400 or even $450 per month for board at my barn, but I'm glad they don't!
2.gif

22.gif

Hey Emm. I currently live in western Connecticut, which explains the high boarding prices. Most places are $1000+ for monthly board (full care, same as what you have) and lessons are about $55-60 per half hour (private). Group lessons are about the same price, but for an hour. It's hard to find a good group though because most group lesson riders around here are beginners. By the time they've put in as many years in the saddle as I have, they move up to getting their own horses. I'm still trying to find a place to take lessons that is close enough to my house and reasonably priced, but I haven't found what I'm looking for (a surprising number of places don't keep school horses). And as far as horse ownership, I'll probably have to be far away from here to be able to afford it.
3.gif
38.gif

2.gif
It was actually worth it I think since I often got to ride the retired show jumpers who (in their youth) were worth as much as my parents' house. There were definitely barns in the area that were much cheaper though.

Ahhhh, that explains it! I've heard that everything is much more expensive where you are!
22.gif

I live in the sticks, in a little town in southcentral Pennsylvania, about five minutes north of the Mason-Dixon line. The closest good-sized town is Hagerstown, Maryland, if that helps. I'm very lucky that I found my barn! There are a lot of opportunities for inexpensive board around here, but you usually get what you pay for. The barn we're at is probably the nicest one in the area, and I'm lucky that they only charge $325 per month. I think it helps that it's also a training barn, and they make most of their money off the training clients . . . of which I used to be one! Red (my horse) was in training there for about six months, and I liked the place so much that we just stayed after his training was over! OK, get ready to be really amazed: The trainer at our barn is probably one of the best (if not the best) in our area. He even has some clients in Europe who ship horses to him for training! Full training board was . . . $600 per month!
emembarrassed.gif

Move here and we can ride together!!!
9.gif

Sounds like a plan! My parents live in Pittsburgh and have been bugging me to move back there. Your barn sounds amazing and I'd love to eventually find a place like that to keep my very first horse.

FI and I know that we can't stay here forever ... I have friends who pay half the rent that we do and make the same salaries. If we ever want to seriously save some money (and be able to afford a house) we'll have to move somewhere cheaper. Some day we'll get out of here and live somewhere the doesn't cost so much. Then I can get my first horse!
9.gif
The only good thing about this area is that they have a huge polo club which I'm a big fan of since I played in college. Not many places have world class polo! If I can get some people to split the cost with me I may even take some polo lessons next year.
31.gif

P.S. Sorry for the threadjack! I'll take the horsie talk over to the horse lover's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results