shape
carat
color
clarity

Q&A on some .90 plus carats that are priced really cheap??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dry201

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Newbie here looking at purchasing a diamond to have it set on a ring. For the last few days I have been browsing alot of the PS vendors & have come across a few loose .90 - 1.0 diamonds that are priced under $1100 dollars. Some have been F colors but with a clarity of Si3 & i1, i2s. Should they be priced that low or did the vendor just priced them incorrectly?? Thanks!

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Keep in mind that there is a lot more to diamonds than just size. You didn''t mention the shape and any cut characteristics. A quick search in a completely unscientific way showed a few .85ish, G/SI2 for under $2,000, so I''m sure if you''re getting into the I clarity grades (SI3, IMO is a nice way to say I1) that it could be right. Keep in mind that you may be getting a non-ideal. cut diamond or something that is at least far from ideal in terms of many things that people around here look for in terms of a diamond. For many people this is fine, but be careful in what you''re buying. Most PS vendors seem to be quite helpful and nice, but you never can be too sure, so be sure to get all the specs that you can before jumping in. You''d be shocked to see what some smart shoppers with a little knowledge can find in some of the sub-1 carat stones. Good luck.

dry201

Rough_Rock
I was looking at the round cut diamonds.
Here''s an example that I just copied from a PS search:

K
I1
62% depth
58% table
EGL
vtn-m
no
gd
gd
no
6.19*6.26*3.85
PS Vendor price $1100

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
If your question is still whether that''s possible, I would say that given those specs, there is no reason that it couldn''t be, matter of fact, it looks just about right to me. That being said, you may want to check how color sensitive you would be at a local jeweler to see if a K would bother you. Keep in mind that with the cut not being ideal on that (it looks like a good cut from what I can tell), you are going to have slightly less light return that you''d like out of a K. Also, you will want to make sure that the I1 isn''t too visible. Keep in mind that I1''s usually have inclusions that a visible to the naked eye. That being said, if it fits your needs and budget, go for it. I''d say you''d probably be down near a .70 (or so) to get a little higher cut or improved color/clarity and remain at that pricepoint.

Keep in mind that I''m not an expert, and don''t necessarily have the same tastes as you. In the end, no one knows your needs or desires more than you.

dry201

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input!!
emteeth.gif
I''m still looking at diamonds I was just curious because of the price just wanted to get some input since I''m new at this.

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
No problem... if you hang around here long enough and just read, you''ll end up so much better off than you ever would''ve. Best of luck to you in finding what you''re looking for.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Dry,

Perhaps conventions followed here are just that; for that matter, you might find a lovely CZ for your partner.

Patterns of shopping here suggest you can sometimes get a good value at SI 2, but SI3 and below tend to get regarded with less favor.
Likewise, below J is almost unusual.
Cut is where Pricescope shines in providing advice to shoppers. Also, I think in a well cut diamond, you''d find the most benefit. You''ll find there are two primary databases here, and one of them addresses the determinants of cut most handily (the search by cut database); coincidentally, these diamonds are held "on hand" by the vendors who service this site, most are SI2 and J or better, and most are particularly well cut. A premium is paid for these things. By convention, you could consider making the weight more modest, to attain the better qualities specified.

You may find the tutorial here generally, and this piece in the tutorial specifically, helpful. In part it affirms your purchasing strategy.

P.S. Using the "quick search" database, which I believe you''ve checked, if you constrain for AGS0, this should help you target diamonds that have been described as cut well, for the presentation to the database. Unfortunately, for .9 to .99 in size, VS2 to I3, and virtually any color, I see no options for under $2K. Alternately, take it to .6 - .69 and either database will work for you in the same price range.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results