shape
carat
color
clarity

Pushy Parents!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bdiddy26

Rough_Rock
Sooooooo my bf''s birthday was on Saturday my parents had a bbq for him on Sunday and guess what they bought him........a gift certificate to a jewelry store and on the memo line it said “Where’s the ring?”
23.gif
Ahhhhh I was so embarrassed! Everyone thought it was my doing but it wasn’t! My mom wanted me to make him a fake one on my computer but I told her no and that I wouldn’t have any part of that. Well she’s not to good on the computer so she decided to just get a real one! Sorry I just wanted to vent!
29.gif
Does anyone else have really pushy parents like mine?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif

I would have been SERIOUSLY angry with my mother.

My mom puts the pressure on me from time to time (She wants grandchildren... soon!), but never on FF! It''s just simply not her place to do so.

I''m shocked!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I would have been MORTIFIED.
Luckily my parents aren''t pushy at all. Can''t say the same for his mother or grandmother though.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I don''t even know what I would say...

I''d be too busy hiding
7.gif

Hopefully your BF at least got a good laugh out of it!

My parents aren''t pushing for an engagement.. just grandkids
38.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:56:32 AM
Author: sparklyheart
Wow, I don''t even know what I would say...

I''d be too busy hiding
7.gif

Hopefully your BF at least got a good laugh out of it!

My parents aren''t pushing for an engagement.. just grandkids
38.gif
Ditto!

I think they''re hoping for an *oops* pretty soon here!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
my mum is pushing for both, more so grandkids right now.
but i would probably yell at my mother (in private) if she did that. honestly, that would just cross to many lines for me... woah.. mommy issues!!

anyways, i hope your man got a good laugh - and buys himself a nice watch!

Bdiddy26

Rough_Rock
Yeah they all got a good chuckle out of it, even my bf. I was the only one unhappy about it. Bf knows how my mom is and has learned how to put up with it. She wants grandkids as soon as possible but I told her I wanted to get married first. For christmas she was going to knit a baby blanket for my bf and give it to him and tell him to get on it. Oh mom she thinks she''s soooo funny.
20.gif

KatM

Shiny_Rock
I would have been terribly embarassed too, but it speaks well of your SO that he was able to take it in stride!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I chat from time to time with the older gentleman who owns the convenience store near my apartment. Recently I was there with my boyfriend and introduced them, and the older gentleman said something like, "you''re a lucky man to know her, you''ll marry her if you know what is good for you!"

I can''t say my boyfriend reacted the way I would have hoped though!
29.gif

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
Aww - I think its kind of cute in a way! They love him too and want him to be your hubby!

MAJOR acceptance! A bit embarrassing though - I can see that!

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Holy cow
6.gif
And I thought MY family was pushy! Sorry you went through that.

My family is pushing ring, wedding, babies...ahhhh! My sister is prego with her second and when she announced it, my mom looks at K and I and says "You need to catch up!" But that's about the extent it, lol.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 12:16:32 PM
Author: Pushin40
Aww - I think its kind of cute in a way! They love him too and want him to be your hubby!

MAJOR acceptance! A bit embarrassing though - I can see that!
I agree.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s really embarassing. Have you thought about having a serious conversation with your parents about minding their own business?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never consider doing such a thing to my daughter (because she would never speak to me again! Ha!), but her boyfriend''s mother does put pressure on him to marry because she wants grandchildren! I think that works put much better for his mother to do it!

I''m very glad your bf understands how your parents are! I do think I''d talk with them about some boundaries, though.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d kill my parents.

(Hey, Mama, did you hear that? I know you lurk. Killllllllllllllll.)

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
I would be horrified! (possible secretly chuckling though).

At least he took it well.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 10:53:28 AM
Author: kribbie
I would have been MORTIFIED.
That''s EXACTLY the terminology I was going to use!

You better believe that if my mother did something like that, we would exchange some "words"
29.gif

But assuming you can calm down enough to talk to her in a way that isn''t "too" harsh, but makes her realize the severity of what she did, i definitely think you should do so.
Is there any way she feels bad about it already? Like a "hindsight is 20/20" thing?
How did your bf take it? Mine would be really ticked off. I''m sure he''d handle it ok until everyone else walked away... lol

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I have been pondering since last night how I would handle this. At first when I read your post Bdiddy, I nearly gasped for air. This morning, I am feeling different, but its because last night there was an explosion of FMIL bridezilla. Ugh. I guess I would be really angry at first, but appreciative they wanted to help and welcome the BF into the family. However, I think if there motives were "get a move on", which it sounds like, I would be mostly angry. I would strongly suggest having a heart to heart with your mother and perhaps father if he is acting the same way. Explain to them how you feel, why you feel they stepped out of line, and set some boundaries for the future.

And your BF should definitely buy something for himself with the gift card!
28.gif

Bdiddy26

Rough_Rock
My bf took it really well. He was even laughing about it the next day with his family! But I did tell him the gift certificate would buy him some nice cuff links, then my dad told him to get a new watch! He he
1.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about anyone else but I found that story hilarious!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 11:57:14 PM
Author: *Danielle*
I would be horrified! (possible secretly chuckling though).

At least he took it well.

hahaha I woldl be very embarrassed, it sounds like something my sister would do.
BUT I would laugh, on the inside!

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 10:00:56 AM
Author: fieryred33143
I don''t know about anyone else but I found that story hilarious!

Me too!!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
ohh i would''ve been mortified, but found it utterly hilarious later.
i''m glad he finds it amusing
1.gif

and no, my parents aren''t pushy in this manner, i''m sure i''d have died of embarrassment by now, or be permanently blushing if they were
9.gif

rialaine

Shiny_Rock
You poor thing, how horrific. I would have been upset too. I''ve had pushy grandparents before but never pushy parents.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, wow. I don''t think I''ve ever heard a story quite that mortifying! So sorry you''ve had to endure it!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m just glad your bf had a good sense of humor about it. But still, I would have been so not amused with my parents
29.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2009 5:36:37 PM
Author: Addy
That''s really embarassing. Have you thought about having a serious conversation with your parents about minding their own business?
Telling your parents to mind their own business is like telling the sun not to shine. It''s their job to mind your business - some parents are just more laid back than others

Thankfully, my mom''s not too pushy
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results