shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple sapphire from Dana - how to set it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Here is my newish 7mm round sapphire from Mastercutgems. This is a beauty. The color and sparkle are amazing. The sapphire''s cut is creative, it is included and has a tilt window. But man, when it hits the light, this is just an amazing sapphire. What I really like is that it has a color shift with sky blue, bluish purple and pink flashes in daylight. In incandescent light I see purple, reddish purple and... orange flashes.

mcg_purple_close.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I was hoping to have this one set locally, but I just got back a quote that is too high to even think of
7.gif

mcg_purple_closeupsidedown.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
So what do you think of this? I got the gold ring from my Mom when I graduated High School, it belonged to my great grandfather. I never wore it because it''s set with two diamonds that don''t sparkle at all and a tiny white opal.

Do you think I could set this sapphire in this ring? What do you think about the rich yellow gold with the purple? Will it affect the color shift?

mcg_purple_close_wring.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the "sparkle pattern."

mcg_purple_close_floodlight.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Another with the ring.

mcg_purple_close_wring_handshot.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could get better pictures, I don''t think these show the beauty of the stone, but maybe when I get it set. The different flashes of color are fascinating.

mcg_purple_close_handshot.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
So, any setting ideas are welcome :)

mcg_purple_close_side.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I had to upload this picture. Do you ever have WHOOPS moments like this? I''m just glad this one ended well.

whoops_moment.JPG

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 12:11:38 PM
Author: mariedtiger
I was hoping to have this one set locally, but I just got back a quote that is too high to even think of
7.gif
I feel your pain. LOGR and etsy are my only options for setting stones as of late.

That is a really pretty stone mariedtiger! I love that first picture.
30.gif
What a personality it has!!
36.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think LOGR is well suited for rounds and standard shaped stones
1.gif
I''ve yet to jump on the LOGR wagon, but I hope to soon.

I think that lovely would look stunning with some accent diamonds.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Brandy and MTG. I actually had my heart set on one LOGR, but then I started to wonder white gold or yellow? Also this guy I got the quote from to locally makes the most amazing rings, he''s the one who made my wedding ring.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MT have you tried the stone against a white metal? I think that would give you a bit of a clue of what it would look like in white gold. I think for yellow gold it would look good too.

-A

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 1:25:04 PM
Author: Arcadian
MT have you tried the stone against a white metal? I think that would give you a bit of a clue of what it would look like in white gold. I think for yellow gold it would look good too.

-A

I did, actually, but for some reason I didn''t take a picture of it. I liked the yellow gold more when I compared.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
How are stones set in that ring? I''m asking because if they''re flush set (so that they don''t stick much out above the surface) I''d consider keeping those stones set in it, but setting this one in a semi bezel on the opposite side of the ring. That way you could keep as much of the original design as possible (in case this ring holds sentimental value to you), wear those tiny stones on the palm side of the ring, and have a semi bezel just added on the other side of the ring. It would also be very cost-effective as you''d only need like a gram of gold for a semi bezel (but I''m no expert so I could be wrong). I think this stone would look nice against yellow gold, as both, blue and purple, tend to look great in it - especially if colors are rich and deep. You can also have that semi bezel done in white gold if you worry that color change would suffer (it is a possibility), but I think it would look lovely in either.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks mr Ma re, I was hoping you would tell me what you think. I have been thinking about a semi-bezel too. I think I''ll pop in and ask him about it tomorrow. The one we were planning was one with a "gingerbread" diamond halo in white gold with a thinner band, which meant lots of work hours, materials and diamonds to boot. Somehow I think maybe it would be too much for this rugged sapphire, even if I could afford it.

I will ask him about a semi-bezel, with some white gold I think. This is a sentimental piece, so keeping the original band will feel nice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MT,
Lovely sapphire, and I think it would look great in 18K yellow gold. Look at my tsavorite/spinel thread on the last page. I have a photo of a deep lavender (almost purple) spinel in a high karat yellow gold setting. It looks great in there.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Hi TL,

I loved both the pictures of the settings and spinels. They looked great, although I liked yours the most. I just wrote the jeweler to see what he thinks of having the sapphire set in the existing band. The thing is, although I loved the design he drew for me, I think it''s too fancy for this stone. I''m afraid that a too elaborate design will overpower it. I personally don''t like rings where the colored gem is just a supporting character instead of the star. But I can understand that a designer would want his design to shine. Let''s see how he reacts.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. I really like it! Very rich purple. I think it calls out for YG.

I would leave the family ring as is and put this in another setting. And I do agree that a gingerbread diamond encrusted setting doesn''t seem to match the stone. But of course please post more photos and prove me wrong!!
11.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, Stone Hunter, I sure will
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really undecided about this one but based on the colour shift, yellow gold because yellow compliments both the purple and the blue.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the yellow gold looks lovely with it, however, I would not mess with your current ring for sentimental reasons. Also, If you are considering adding a bezel, the stone may still be a little to deep to set it that way with your ring with the culet poking your finger. Pretty color shift stone!!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 8:52:31 AM
Author: Chrono
I’m really undecided about this one but based on the colour shift, yellow gold because yellow compliments both the purple and the blue.

Hi Chrono,

I''m actually a bit horrified at even considering setting this stone in yellow gold
9.gif
Thank you for helping out, I appreciate it. The ring is high carat gold, almost reddish in tone and in person, these two just click :) I haven''t heard back from the jeweler about my requests, if I don''t get them in another week''s time I''ll just have to get the ring and sapph back.

Love following your thread with the Mahenge pear, by the way.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 9:05:24 AM
Author: cushioncutnut
I think the yellow gold looks lovely with it, however, I would not mess with your current ring for sentimental reasons. Also, If you are considering adding a bezel, the stone may still be a little to deep to set it that way with your ring with the culet poking your finger. Pretty color shift stone!!

Hi Cushioncutnut,

Thanks for taking the time to write, I appreciate it
1.gif
I was thinking about that poking thing myself, I think the stone would have to be set pretty high. I was thinking of a style like MINE!!!''s ring, remember it? I haven''t found a profile shot of it, though. I may have to get it set abroad, though, local jewelers have such set opinions about prongs.

About the sentimentality, I was going to add that the reason I''m thinking of using this ring is partly that I never wear it, which is a shame. The other part is that currently we are estranged with my mother after a long and hurtful process (I''m hoping it won''t last forever, though.) As a result I have sold almost all of the jewelry I got from her, which helped me at the time. She''s actually the person who inspired me to start collecting gems and have them set.

This is the only piece I have left and I would like to wear it again, in order to affirm that it''s possible we can have a relationship one day again. There''s just no better way I know, than to set a beautiful gem in the ring. To my way of thinking this would be a symbol of something new, starting over again, even if it''s just in a piece of jewelry.

Thanks for writing, it made my thoughts about this a bit clearer.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results