shape
carat
color
clarity

purchase/selling ruby, sapphire, emerald

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

koester_2010

Rough_Rock
Hello,

can anybody told me, what is the average margin of coloured gemstones. I do not find sources. How is the margin of gemstone wholesalers ? For example, a wholesaler offer a sapphire for 20000 Dollar. For which price had the wholesaler bought this stones in average ? Thank you.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think it just all depends. Any particular reason?

And what is up with all of these threads on the topic of costs/wholesalers/dealers? Not that I don''t like learning about that kinda stuff, but they seem to be popping up very often lately.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It all depends.... in the hypothetical example of a stone a gem dealer is selling for $20k he or she may have paid $19,500 or $10,000 or $25,000! It depends on whether the alexandrite she bought overseas came back from GIA as chrysoberyl, or the chrysoberyl he bought came back as Alexandrite. It depends on variables like demand, current cash flow requirements of the business, the economy.
The colored stone business is very complex and challenging for even the most experienced and professional of dealers. Since colored stones tend to be so unique, alot depends upon perception and taste. It is not a business that lends itself to simple formulas.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are just too many variables to make a guess. It depends on the market demand, price negotiated at the mines, what you get in the parcel (sometimes no picking and choosing), what the stone really turn out to be, etc. It also depends on how well you read colour, know the treatments, spot fakes, etc. as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results