shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchase before appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slayerav

Rough_Rock
This may be a stupid question, but I assume in order to get an independent, off-site diamond appraisal, one would have to purchase 100% (ie. no collateral or down payment) a diamond from a jeweler first?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In most places you'd commonly be required to pay in advance of an appraisal. However, in large cities, where there are appraisers in close proximity to retailers, there is the opportunity sometimes for the appraiser to receive the item and appraise it for you before you make a financial committment. You really don't want to be told which appraiser to go to, but if there are choices and YOU get to choose, then it may be a safe way to proceed.

Find out the credentials and fees of local appraisers first. See who is available. Then ask the retailer if xxxxx appraiser is someone that can act as your advisor before you buy. Some retailers will say they are happy to cooperate, others may be a bit insulted by your apparent lack of trust, and some will refuse. There is no consistent pattern in this regard. Obviously, you cannot use a competing retailer who also does appraisals for an unbiased appraisal. That won't work although there are exceptions to every generalization.

If a retailer has a good return policy, and if you trust them anyway, paying for the item is not a big deal, so long as you can choose to return it in a couple of days for a full refund. Don't get the ring sized or think this can happen with a custom created item. With a standard item or a loose diamond, there may be far less of a problem.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Quite a few of the PS vendors will send the diamond to an appraiser before you pay. Usually you just pay for the shipping. The ones I know that do this are:

USA Certed (who I dealt with and loved)
GOG
Icestore
Whiteflash
Union
Abazias

I''m sure there are others but these are the ones I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results