shape
carat
color
clarity

Puppy information - is there a Pricescope for dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
basil - that''s an interesting point about the MVD and when it develops. I admit I don''t know much about the issues in Cavs as I''ve never owned them or really done a lot of research on them. I do know there are some diseases like that, where they develop after breeding age and where the genetic test may not yet exist to find out if a dog is at risk/a carrier. I guess, like everything else, its a question of trying to get the best information you can - if you can find a breed where all of the known issues either develop early in life and/or have tests, that will help, but of course nothing is ever 100% because accidents happen as do genetic mutations. But the odds would be much lower.

We used to breed working labrador retrievers (my parents had a ranch and the dogs were used on the ranch as well as used as gun dogs by many of the people that purchased them). The labs had show champion lines going back many generations, but also were working stock. Then we had Akitas for a while - my mom imported a couple from a breeder in the UK as they weren''t very common in the US at the time and there weren''t really good show lines that she could breed with what she already had. One of the dogs, a beautiful red boy, was "mine" - I did my junior handling in dog shows with him, which was funny as he was definitely bigger than I was
3.gif

Cass

Rough_Rock
When I saw the title of your thread I clicked on it right away. I was going to recommend a cavalier King Charles... but then I read your post
7.gif

I have two (a male and a female) and they are just the sweetest dogs I have ever met. I can''t imagine not owning one. I''m pretty sure I will always have at least one, but someday I hope to have 4, hehe (one of each color). Anyways, I''m sorry about your bad experience with Cavs. Many do go on to live long normal lives.

Good luck finding the right dog for you though!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Cass,

Oh, aren''t Cavalier''s just so wonderful? My dog was the best lap dog, the best at fetch, she loved walks and she loved running on the beach. Just about the only thing she wouldn''t do was swim! And she just had the best personality. But my heart was broken when I lost her and I just can''t do it again
7.gif

We are now thinking of a Coton de Tulear. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cotondetulear.htm They are kind of rare, but there seem to be a few breeders within driving distance. The American Coton Club seems really particular about health testing, health registration, and keeping track of genetic diseases (of which there are few), so that makes me feel more confident. They are the right size (12-15 lbs) and they don''t shed (good for my husband''s allergies). And they require less grooming than a Maltese or a Bichon, according to the website.

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know any more about this breed? I''m thinking of contacting some breeders to possibly get on a list for next fall, and to plan to visit some places this winter/spring.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a pic from the American Coton Club website:

FoggyPhebe.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have to find another home for Cookie, the 1-year-old cocker spaniel we adopted in July. He doesn''t fit your requirements as he is not non-shedding or short-haired (although he was just groomed and, since I wanted all his mats cut out, was given a "sport cut" so he looks as if he was in the army, poor puppy!). He certainly looks short haired right now, although when we got him, he was a silky doll!

He is the most totally loving, cuddly baby in the world and my heart is breaking. The problem is my daughter. I refuse to give him to anyone who isn''t as much of a dog lover as I am, so we are currently at a stand. He was in two homes before we adopted him and he is sure he is loved and wanted with us. I just will not let his little heart be broken. And it can be! He bonds! He attaches! He cries if my father or I leave him in a situation that he fears is going to be permanent! We have our routines. If I get ice for my tea, I give him an ice cube and he is just delighted! He gets a hardboiled egg for breakfast with his dry food (the vet''s recommendation) and so every morning he waits for that egg. After he gets ear drops, I give him cheese. He is getting to be so good, too! He is learning not to go in the garbage! And he is such a sweet little armful.

I am ready to kill my daughter. She is the one who needed a dog. And now she is the one who can''t stand having one. What about the dog? But I do not want to hijack. I just started reading here and suddenly felt as if I was going to burst. I think I need my own thread!

Thank you for letting me vent here first!

Deborah
34.gif

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Research what you may be interested in and find a local shelter for that breed or try www.petfinders.com

With petfinders, they take animals from shelters and put them with foster parents until adoption. You pay a fee for the dog however they are saved from the pound, checked by a vet, shots are up to date and they are spayed/neutered. They are honest people and you will see from their website that they will post physical impairments and other characteristics of the animal like... no kids, no other animals, etc.

We did this last month and could not be happier with our new family member!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you decide on a breed, I strongly suggest looking for a dog to adopt on petfinder.com. For example, there are approximately 675 Bichons currently listed on petfinder for adoption throughout the U.S. Finley is just one of them.

Here's his description. It looks like he and his littermates were rescued from a bad breeder situation:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12153609

Finley.jpg

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
i''d check with UCARE too. they''re a coton rescue group that isn''t associated with specific breeding clubs but rescues cotons from all over the place. you''ve gotten me totally obsessed with this breed; they look like sweet little teddy bears!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results